Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DigitalJedi084.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hey Guys-

I've been trying to troubleshoot a looping audio issue on a new-to-me Rescue 911. I'm running in circles trying to diagnose things, so I figured I'd ask here. When in the Baby or Flood mode, the dispatcher will continuously say "Please remain calm sir" (ironic right). Sometimes this even continues onto the post game where the "match" is being done.

*I've run all the diagnostics, no stuck sensors on, and I've manually checked the diagnostic mode reads it (using cardboard strip to break light plane).

*I've also verified the red LED triggers on the opto boards. I've cleaned the sensors a few times with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

*When its stuck in the loop there is no erroneous scoring, no other solenoids VUK, etc firing.

*Changing rescue modes stops the loop, but it will return once you loop back to it when its in the "stuck" state

I wasn't sure if this was a ROM issue, so I removed AROM2 (speech?) and the game still plays as it should. I get the regular callouts, at least what I think they should be. Follow up question I suppose, but what's the difference between AROM 1 and AROM 2? Don't get the annoying loop with AROM 2 out, and game seems to be playing well.

Thanks in advance, Cheers!

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the comment chad

I did try that initially (when I first got it), forgot to mention that!

#5 2 years ago

That wiki is great! It’s how I originally found I was using the 110V jumper and not the 120V.

I’ll give the sound section a bit more of a read through as a noob I didn’t fully understand all of it, and I’ll give the rom legs a bit of a clean (have a bit of white oxidation)

Appreciate the help and feedback

#6 2 years ago

Just as a side note (maybe for those who may have the issue)....I did notice after watching a few recordings, the “loop” occurs when the mode starts but no “telephone ring” occurs.

Anytime the phone rings, audio callouts behavior is normal. Whenever it’s missing, or sometimes I’ve had a garbled noise, then I get in the audio loop. Definitely leaning towards replacing a rom 1/2.

Gave the AROMs legs a cleaning, and things look good (for now).

Can update the post later

#7 2 years ago

ONE more thing to add, again for those who may have had this.

In addition to missing the opening dialog (911 what’s your emergency, etc) in the start of the mode, I also noticed the baby doesn’t cry when you get the “extra bawl”. Definitely leading towards a ROM issue I think.

Good sequence example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13PRZz0RqYR1gaVKHibH7KIOgYA2wOn6c/view?usp=drivesdk

Bad sequence (missing opening):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h1FfZB_hIHHfjBf0jjQOfbYphfKg3c2P/view?usp=drivesdk

#9 2 years ago

Thanks Ralph!

Still occurring unfortunately- It’s sporadic.

I ordered two new 6116 RAM chips for the main sound board, after some additional reading, I wonder there is a lane issue in RAM. A lot of new information to take in, and these Sys3 sound issues are definitely complicated!

After that, I was thinking of flashing new AROM 1/2.

Open to any other ideas!

#12 2 years ago

Ah yes, thanks, probably should have posted that!

These are the measurements I took prior, is there anything else you’d recommend?

A5-P1
Pin 10 =11.89
Pin 5 = 12.05

A1-P1
Pin 1 =5.08

My +12 is a bit short, but I feel like 10% off would be in tolerances? I’ve seen the ranges listed for 5v, just never for 12v

#14 2 years ago

Will do!

The stock diagnosis audio test (those tones) all work good.

Haven’t thought of trying to wiggle the ribbon cable. I’ve reseated it before and it seems like it worked temporarily, but could have been something unrelated.

I’ll report back soon

#15 2 years ago

I just tried wiggling the sound board to aux sound board ribbon cable, as well as some of the sound board input cables, but no luck.

I wiggled where the dialog should have been during the mode intros, and when it got stuck in the "please remain calm loop".

I did however clean a drop target switch, way easier to do than on my Lucky Hand! And I finished tossing in my comet LEDs while the playfield was up, so some minor victories tonight.

I snagged a spare sound board, and aux sound board on ebay for pretty cheap, and have some 6116s also coming. I figure a swap of sound boards, maybe I'll get lucky, and then that way we could at least isolate a board potentially. If anything the spare boards could give me some practice PCB soldering for the RAM =)

#17 2 years ago

I agree ralph- I’m leaning towards RAM too, and I appreciate the offer! I think I may give it a try, but will certainly let you know.

I also have a copy of Marcos test roms, I’ll run through that to definitely isolate it. Just waiting on fresh eproms and the flasher from Amazon.

Parts should be here in a week or so, I’ll update the thread once they’re in.

Side question, what’s the pitch-mating for these? I was on digi-key are there are a TON of 24pin sockets. I’m leanining towards 0.1” (2.54mm) as they seem to be most popular by a long shot.

Thanks again!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Are you talking about for socketing ram? If so, send me your snail mail via PM... I will send you a bunch of SIP strips you can use. You will get various opinions about SIP strips vs. sockets, but I personally love SIPs as you can see traces when they are installed.

Will do, thanks!

#20 2 years ago

So I was able to snag a used spare Aux sound board, and main sound board via ebay, Both pretty cheap. Originally was just planning on having as a backup or soldering testing/etc....but for shits and giggles I did toss the aux sound board in (transferred my AROM 1/2).

Game's been FLAWLESS. Got over a dozen plays this tonight, and all intro operator calls play, no looping "please remain calm", and the baby audio plays in the extra bawl mode.

I was convinced it was a main soundboard issue, but it seems that may have been isolated to the Aux board. I'll swap my old one in later to verify, I'm just enjoying the game a bit now =)

ralphwiggum maybe your initial thought of cold solder joints at the ribbon cable was correct? I can't think of any other physical components on the Aux that could cause that (maybe bad speech synth?).

Either way, she's good now! I'll update if the issue comes back, and when i have some time to swap boards again....for those other System 3 buddies who may have this same issue.

#21 2 years ago

Hey Guys-

Just reporting back, its been a few days. Have a solid 30+ games on it and she's playing wonderfully!

I swapped the original aux sound board back in, and it instantly was missing cues and looping audio.

So I think its case closed, bad sound aux board! Still a bit confused on what component would be contributing towards the loop, but I'm happy to be playing

Thank you for the help ralphwiggum chad and the rest of the pinside community

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree--whenever there's a strange playback issue with system 3 sound boards, first I usually verify the ROMs, and then generally go after the RAM. Most issues I've encountered have involved one or both of those things.

I agree as well, atleast from all the posts I’ve seen you and others troubleshoot!

Still waiting on some fresh eprom chips to flash the test roms on, but my reader/writer did come in via Amazon.

The only thing I can think of right now is that my original aux sound board may have a bad socket(s) on AROM1/2?

Or possibly the U1 MSM6295 4 channel mixer is shot. I think PBR has these foe $20, so may give that a whirl down the line

I did another quick swap and the issue 100% follows the original aux sound board. I’m gonna put new sockets in just to see.

While I’m happy things are working, I’d still like to understand what on the aux sound board may have been failing- if not for my own curiosity, but to possibly help others searching.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DigitalJedi084.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescue-911-looping-audio?tu=DigitalJedi084 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.