• Latest reply 4 years ago by fatality83
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Rescue 911 with a helicopter quirk I can't figure out.
All functions on the helicopter works as should but recently when it returns to "home base" and "parks", the helicopter stays running until the game is shut off(Power turned off).

Its has a light bulb mod on it that stays lit also. Light bulb is a 12v bulb wired to the helimotor to come on and off when the helicopter is activated. wires are heat shrunk and bulb is properly mounted, so don't think problem is with it.

This is a recent issue..used to come on when activated, run its mission, then shut off when at home base.
Any ideas where to start checking?

#2 4 years ago

A friend has one of these, so I've dabbled, but not dug deep into a Rescue 911. I "think" there is a home switch that should tell the motor to shut off when it is in the home position. My first guess is that switch is perhaps faulty or a wire has broken loose from it causing it not to register. Could also be an alignment issue with said switch.

#3 4 years ago

The above post is correct. You can check that switch in the diagnostic. The helicopter is tough to get working perfect, but it’s really a nice feature when it works properly.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

A friend has one of these, so I've dabbled, but not dug deep into a Rescue 911. I "think" there is a home switch that should tell the motor to shut off when it is in the home position. My first guess is that switch is perhaps faulty or a wire has broken loose from it causing it not to register. Could also be an alignment issue with said switch.

There are optos at the start and stop positions.

They are under the plastic buildings and are triggered by the rectangular piece of metal on the shaft for the helicopter.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

Simply reflow the solder pads and that will most likely take care of it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

Simply reflow the solder pads and that will most likely take care of it.

Sometimes the LEDs break off at the end of the bulb, so reflowing isn't always a sure thing. Also, sometimes the LEDs are too dim or just fail.

#7 4 years ago

Could be as simple as windex on a qtip to clean the opto. Keep us posted, OP.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, out oftown this wknd but will check asap

4 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

Quick question since were on the subject. My helicopter works flawlessly when I have a single ball on the play field. When I'm have more than one ball the helicopter will drop the ball its taking back home as soon as the other one hits a bumper anywhere in the play field or you use a flipper. Then the helicopter will stay parked where ever it dropped the ball and not return home. No wires are broken under the playfield as far as I can see and the wire to the helicopter is not getting snagged anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks a ton

2 weeks later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Gcoco35:

Quick question since were on the subject. My helicopter works flawlessly when I have a single ball on the play field. When I'm have more than one ball the helicopter will drop the ball its taking back home as soon as the other one hits a bumper anywhere in the play field or you use a flipper. Then the helicopter will stay parked where ever it dropped the ball and not return home. No wires are broken under the playfield as far as I can see and the wire to the helicopter is not getting snagged anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks a ton

I would start by looking at active switches. See if anything is active that shouldn't be. I would test the optos to make sure they register the helicopter in the up and down position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescue-911-helicopter-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.