Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

It's time to subject my mind to this.

I first read 1984 in sixth grade, so roughly 13 years old.

I was required to in school.

Now it's time again. I return to school this fall for journalism.

There is a new book on 1984 that looks very good too.

The thought police and everything else. It is time.

To be continued...

#2 4 years ago

Last song before I jump in.

Strange days.

#3 4 years ago

Its hands down one of my favorite books. Very relevant in the political/technological world we live in these days.

#4 4 years ago

Great Book, isnt it?

Makes me think of this book by Dr. Tim Snyder, one of the globes leading Historians on the Rise of Fascism.
    Quick read, but well worth it.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Great Book, isnt it?
    Makes me think of this book by Dr. Tim Snyder, one of the globes leading Historians on the Rise of Fascism.
    Quick read, but well worth it.
    [quoted image]

Economic misery leads people to make the wrong decisions to improve their situation. And creates a blame game. That's 20th Century Fascism in a nutshell.

#6 4 years ago

I remember reading it when I was a teenager and thinking, "I'm so glad this is just a book of a fictional future never to happen in real life."

#7 4 years ago

1984 was an excellent movie too. A lot of things in 1984 are mirrored in the world today. To name a couple; Google shares a lot of the mechanisms used by Big Brother and the revised news and daily hate can be seen in a lot of our media and "news" programs.

#8 4 years ago

Humans will give up privacy for convenience.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Humans will give up privacy for convenience.

Doors and windows are inconvenient. Let’s just get rid of them and open our homes to the world.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Doors and windows are inconvenient. Let’s just get rid of them and open our homes to the world

It's called Instagram, Twitter, internet searches, gps, shopping data, cable and internet data. Your home and world are public, like it or not.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

It's called Instagram, Twitter, internet searches, gps, shopping data, cable and internet data. Your home and world are public, like it or not.

Whether people wish to believe it or not, from one of the best in the business, we must all assume our lives and info are all compromised and out there in places we dont want.

#12 4 years ago

This book is like an intoxicating drug.

My mind is reeling. I feel like the clock is striking thirteen today in the real world.

I am going to read this book when I'm done with the novel.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/22/the-ministry-of-truth-by-dorian-lynskey-review-a-biography-of-george-orwells-1984

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

This book is like an intoxicating drug.
    My mind is reeling. I feel like the clock is striking thirteen today in the real world.
    I am going to read this book when I'm done with the novel.
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/22/the-ministry-of-truth-by-dorian-lynskey-review-a-biography-of-george-orwells-1984

I am reading the book in small doses to my 9 y/o boy. Kudos to you for revisiting.

Now, if you haven’t done so, read up on China’s Social Credit System. They are far ahead of the US is making 1984 a reality.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Now, if you haven’t done so, read up on China’s Social Credit System. They are far ahead of the US is making 1984 a reality

Ever seen their version of Palantir? They can identify you via facial recognition on the city's CCTV cameras and a whole plethora of info pops up.

#15 4 years ago

If you've got nothing to hide you've... a) had a very boring life, and/or b) lack imagination as to BB's consequences.

#16 4 years ago

As I move through this thing I realized. This is a freaking important book.

I remember reading it the first time. Must have been 1982 or so when our class was required to read it. Something like that.

Now flash forward to 2019. It's not the same as he described. Different.

We are all the children of George Orwell. Now.

#17 4 years ago

Under-filter.

#18 4 years ago

I remember when I read this book in sixth grade or whatever. I didn't comprehend it.

Reading now however I fully understand it.

It is astounding, I think I heard a couple politicians use the word double speak on tv a couple days ago.

Wrenching it is though. Soul wrenching...

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

If you've got nothing to hide you've... a) had a very boring life, and/or b) lack imagination as to BB's consequences.

Show me the man and I'll show you the crime.

#20 4 years ago

We live in a time where kids welcome the government to run their lives. Think about this, Apple products. Apple tells you what you can and can't do, what you can and cannot use with their products. Android allows you to do and use whatever you want. Kids live off their phones and have been conditioned that everyone knows what's best for them. We have a new generation of easily manipulated digital zombies. They are perfectly willing to give up freedom for an ounce of security. They're too lazy to do their own research and retweet or repost everything they read without a second thought. This.... is..... our.... future.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

They're too lazy to do their own research and retweet or repost everything they read without a second thought. This.... is..... our.... future.

An argument kids make these days is "well if I'm not doing anything wrong I don't care if the government tracks what I do". What happens to when the government changes what's considered right and wrong. Just remember IBM helped create the primitive technology Hitler used to initiate the holocaust. Just imagine what an evil person with power could do these days....

#22 4 years ago

Ever heard of China's social credit score system? Brought to you by Google. 1984 is already here.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Ever heard of China's social credit score system? Brought to you by Google. 1984 is already here.

Already here. People are already being deplatformed for bad think.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rereading-1984-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.