button.jpg
toto_collarred.jpg
WOZ_Start_Button_Guard_Decaled.png
20150715_174314.jpg
436899.jpg
1-Fullscreen_capture_852015_90749_AM.jpg
oz.jpg
oz1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 8 years ago

I am interested if it looks good.
I would also be happy with simply changing the black button housing part to be extended further beyond the button so that the button is recessed.

2 weeks later
#31 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

BUMP
If there's not enough interest for something decorative (and likely more expensive), what about something really simple?
I'm just starting to learn to use SketchUp, so this is a very crude drawing.
1-Fullscreen capture 852015 90749 AM.jpg
I have no idea how much it would cost to have something like this made through Shapeways, but I'm guessing that would give nicer results than a 3D printer. Someone here knows.

My hopefully constructive criticism, I think it would look better if the outer flange was smaller (around 1 to 2 centimeters). The edge could be perpendicular to the cabinet rather than sloped. It would then look like a casing for the button rather an add-on protector.

Here is a crude example. The portion beyond the white would be removed.
436899.jpg436899.jpg

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That would probably work well for the direct printed cabinets, but with decals, they have a cutout slightly larger than the diameter of the original button. If using a normal sized start button, there needs to be something to cover the black wood of the cabinet on decal machines.

Do you have a picture of the standard with decal? Maybe two different versions could be made, especially if it is just using a 3D printer.

#35 8 years ago

I think the 90 degree angle like I sketched would still look fine on the standard as well if the housing was stretched to cover the non-decal area. You would want to make sure it is small enough to not cover the word "Start". With a 3D printer it is probably easy to try a few variations.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I believe this is the original button:
http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/pushbuttons/D54-0004-13?SS=ON
Personally, I'd rather end up with a normal sized button, but I would probably buy whatever was available if someone decided to make it.
I'm also not sure why the hole would need to fit over the nut. You're going to have to remove the button anyway, so why not make the hole just big enough for the threads on the back of the button?

Is your image for a smaller button? I had assumed it was for the existing button. Your design would probably look good for converting to a traditional smaller recessed button.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes. Something like this, though the START text on it is redundant.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1912
I'm thinking that even with a collar, the big button is going to be too easy to press.

Maybe Mezelmods could print one up for you.

#43 8 years ago

Thanks Herg.

I just noticed this from Swinks:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/G69YKY8WZ/pinball-start-button-dress-ring-large-lip?li=search-results-1&optionId=18375539

It is not the same function or purpose, but I may order one for a Stern game to try it out.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

If you made a new nut it would have to be treaded and would be more harder to make so I was thinking of something that snuggly fits over the existing nut and pressure holds the collar on or could be crazy glued on to hold better.
Almost like a dog recovery collar but straight on the sides and the button would be recessed inside.

Doesn't the button already have a nut and the button/nut combination would hold the housing Herg is attempting to make to the cabinet?

button.jpgbutton.jpg

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes. At least for my collar, you would remove the nut, then remove the button from the cabinet. Insert the button into the collar, then back into the cabinet. Finally, replace the nut on the inside of the cabinet.

Sounds good. I am excited to see how it turns out.

2 weeks later
#51 8 years ago

Thanks Herg. It looks great. I have an order in with Pinballlife for the green start button to go with it.

1 week later
#52 8 years ago

Herg gave me the spare he had for this mod and I installed it tonight. It definitely prevents accidental starts.
With the original start button I have had numerous occurrences of the accidental start button presses when leaning over the game to show someone something or when working on the game. I am confident that problem is solved with this mod.
I installed the mod on my LE so I can now confirm it works on both the LE and Standard cabinets (clear coated and decaled cabinets).

Herg informed me that he has posted the start button housing on Shapeways for anyone to buy at Shapeway's cost.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/YN5KYGFE5/woz-start-button-guard?li=search-results-1&optionId=57686512

#53 8 years ago

This is the only other part you need:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1912

The mod takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes to install and requires no soldering. You do not even have to disconnect any wires. You can simply insert the existing wired switch/light assembly into the new start button.

#58 8 years ago

Here are some pictures of mine installed:

IMG_1029.JPGIMG_1029.JPGIMG_1034.JPGIMG_1034.JPGIMG_1035.JPGIMG_1035.JPG

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they look good. Hopefully they will not wear a ring into the decals of the cabinet.

I don't think it would contact the decal the way it is designed with a hollow area but maybe Herg could chime in on that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/request-start-button-cover-for-woz?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.