Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WOZ_Guard_Rotated_2.png
WOZ_Guard_Rotated.png
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1034.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
20150822_141927.jpg
20150822_141919.jpg
20150822_134936.jpg
button.jpg
toto_collarred.jpg
WOZ_Start_Button_Guard_Decaled.png
20150715_174314.jpg
436899.jpg
1-Fullscreen_capture_852015_90749_AM.jpg
oz.jpg
oz1.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally started games on WOZ. Anyone up for making a cover to prevent accidental button presses? Maybe some sort of recessed housing that fits the same hole?

Update: I made my own. If you want one, you can have Shapeways print one:
http://shpws.me/JN9L

#2 4 years ago

Www.slotserviceguard.com might offer something.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the link. That does look promising for something functional.

What about something decorative/custom? Maybe a WOZ related item with a hole in it to make it harder to press the button? Unfortunately, the only ideas I can come up with are funny, but not family friendly.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Thanks for the link. That does look promising for something functional.
What about something decorative/custom? Maybe a WOZ related item with a hole in it to make it harder to press the button? Unfortunately, the only ideas I can come up with are funny, but not family friendly.

Hooked is making something for MM and it's really nice, maybe he could come up with something for you and other WOZ owners. Give him a shout.

#5 4 years ago

I've seen the MM one, and I agree, it is really nice. This would need to be a bit more three dimensional, but I've sent him a PM.

#6 4 years ago

Yes please!

#7 4 years ago

OK how about these ideas?
20 is what it would take to get it going ....
Few pictures...stock then ideas. Thinking tornado would be the most generic non copy write item. A yellow brick pattern also non copy write would be fine but may look odd in the sky of the art work. Thinking of a balloon too but could not find a good example of art.

Would be a generic hot air balloon with the start button as the center.
Tornado would wrap around the top of the start button
Yellow brick would spiral around start hole...all being the same thickness as the start button to guard area.
Thoughts welcome.

oz2.jpg

oz1.jpg

oz.jpg

#8 4 years ago

Why the hell isn't the start button recessed? I just don't get it. Is that some kind of "noobs on location" thing?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why the hell isn't the start button recessed? I just don't get it. Is that some kind of "noobs on location" thing?

My guess? JJP cheaped out and minimized job time as to not have to pay for a CNCed area for the button.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

My guess? JJP cheaped out and minimized job time as to not have to pay for a CNCed area for the button.

That doesn't make any sense. They're already CNCing the rest, we're talking about practically no effort to recess it. It was a purposeful choice.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Keep in mind it's the Best Built, Highest Quality pinball machine ever. As noted by dozens, if not hundreds of individuals years before the first machine went into production.

#12 4 years ago

Uh. ok. Sure. I'm sensing sarcasm in that response.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I like the idea of a yellow brick road, but I'll admit my artistic vision is not the best. I'm confident that whatever way you decide to go with it will be great.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Few pictures...stock then ideas. Thinking tornado would be the most generic non copy write item. A yellow brick pattern also non copy write would be fine but may look odd in the sky of the art work. Thinking of a balloon too but could not find a good example of art.
Would be a generic hot air balloon with the start button as the center.
Tornado would wrap around the top of the start button
Yellow brick would spiral around start hole...all being the same thickness as the start button to guard area.
Thoughts welcome.

oz2.jpgoz1.jpgoz.jpg

I like the yellow brick road idea. I would combine the mod with a normal sized start button and ditch the over-sized factory button, that way the mod doesn't have to be too big.

And yes, this is a pitiful design. Almost as bad as when Stern had the Tournament button on the lock bar.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

How do you estimate demand? If you're just looking for commitments, here's mine, starting the count at 1:

#16 4 years ago

If I can get 20 on pinside to say they want it - I can gauge overall demand.
Pinside is a good meter for the rest of the world. Figure About 2500 ish are floating in the wild max so I would base the production numbers on that.
Ok 19 more lol.
Then we can get into the whole start button sizing issue.

#17 4 years ago

It's hard for me to imagine it which makes it hard for the commitment. Hooked, if you come up with a little more design sketch that might help for me.

#18 4 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but my weiner isn't big enough so I've never accidentally hit the start button.

I know Herg is gifted in inventing one of the greatest mods available in all of pinball, but perhaps he's gifted in other areas as well.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Maybe it's just me, but my weiner isn't big enough so I've never accidentally hit the start button.

Weiners aside, I've never accidentally started a game on mine either. I'm able to successfully navigate past my WOZ to reach my LOTR and TSPP without banging into anything, including start buttons. Maybe I'm not drinking enough beer.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Weiners aside, I've never accidentally started a game on mine either. I'm able to successfully navigate past my WOZ to reach my LOTR and TSPP without banging into anything, including start buttons. Maybe I'm not drinking enough beer.

Maybe putting your weiner aside IS the solution...

#21 4 years ago

wow, i've had this thought so many times but have never spoken it out loud. why the f*$% didn't they recess the start button? like, it could literally be the same exact size button, just recessed! accidental starts or not, it looks dumb.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Keep in mind it's the Best Built, Highest Quality pinball machine ever. As noted by dozens, if not hundreds of individuals years before the first machine went into production.

What? Even more than gottlieb premire games? I sure hope there is sarcasm in that statement. Quality also comes in the form of ability to maintain the game decades from now. how many of the boards are going to be serviceable 20 years from now? It's like cars. You can have build quality, but if you cannot change the oil filter because of the way it's built, is it really quality?

#23 4 years ago

I don't see the problem with accidentally starting games as a real thing, but hey....

That said, I'd go with a hot air balloon motif for any mod or cover. It makes sense in the sky there, needn't be protected IP, and meshes with the playfield in that region.

#24 4 years ago

Most of the time, my accidental presses happen when I'm leaning over the machine working on it or pointing out something to other players. Sadly, though, it is usually my hip and not my weiner.

Am I going to have to buy 20 myself?

#25 4 years ago

Don't worry. I'll be getting plenty more led ocd boards to help fund your start button covers.

#26 4 years ago

I am interested if it looks good.
I would also be happy with simply changing the black button housing part to be extended further beyond the button so that the button is recessed.

#27 4 years ago

I would also be interested depending on the looks of the mod. That button drives me crazy.

Brian

#28 4 years ago

If you made a simple ring around the button , I could paint to match the RR or the greenLE

#29 4 years ago

When I look at the front of.the machine ...the start area just looks lime they forgot to put art there. Tornado? Road? Witch on a broom would be cool any other thoughts?

2 weeks later
#30 4 years ago

BUMP

If there's not enough interest for something decorative (and likely more expensive), what about something really simple?

I'm just starting to learn to use SketchUp, so this is a very crude drawing.

1-Fullscreen capture 852015 90749 AM.jpg

I have no idea how much it would cost to have something like this made through Shapeways, but I'm guessing that would give nicer results than a 3D printer. Someone here knows.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

BUMP
If there's not enough interest for something decorative (and likely more expensive), what about something really simple?
I'm just starting to learn to use SketchUp, so this is a very crude drawing.
1-Fullscreen capture 852015 90749 AM.jpg
I have no idea how much it would cost to have something like this made through Shapeways, but I'm guessing that would give nicer results than a 3D printer. Someone here knows.

My hopefully constructive criticism, I think it would look better if the outer flange was smaller (around 1 to 2 centimeters). The edge could be perpendicular to the cabinet rather than sloped. It would then look like a casing for the button rather an add-on protector.

Here is a crude example. The portion beyond the white would be removed.
436899.jpg

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think it would look better if the outer flange was smaller

That would probably work well for the direct printed cabinets, but with decals, they have a cutout slightly larger than the diameter of the original button. If using a normal sized start button, there needs to be something to cover the black wood of the cabinet on decal machines.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That would probably work well for the direct printed cabinets, but with decals, they have a cutout slightly larger than the diameter of the original button. If using a normal sized start button, there needs to be something to cover the black wood of the cabinet on decal machines.

Do you have a picture of the standard with decal? Maybe two different versions could be made, especially if it is just using a 3D printer.

#34 4 years ago

Yep.

20150715_174314.jpg

Even if I have to learn the entire process myself, I'm going to make this happen.

#35 4 years ago

I think the 90 degree angle like I sketched would still look fine on the standard as well if the housing was stretched to cover the non-decal area. You would want to make sure it is small enough to not cover the word "Start". With a 3D printer it is probably easy to try a few variations.

#36 4 years ago

Looks like if a collar was made to fit over the existing nut and the side of it would be flush with the green start button would be the easiest and cheapest solution I could have my 3d modeler make it and print it but would need some dimensions or that black nut to design, probably could make these for less than 10 bucks with shipping. Is that start button available to purchase somewhere including the nut? Would be a ring that snugly fits over the existing nut and like the same width as the nut. Anyone interested in that?

#37 4 years ago

I believe this is the original button:
SS=ON">http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/pushbuttons/D54-0004-13?SS=ON

Personally, I'd rather end up with a normal sized button, but I would probably buy whatever was available if someone decided to make it.

I'm also not sure why the hole would need to fit over the nut. You're going to have to remove the button anyway, so why not make the hole just big enough for the threads on the back of the button?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Personally, I'd rather end up with a normal sized button, but I would probably buy whatever was available if someone decided to make it.
I'm also not sure why the hole would need to fit over the nut. You're going to have to remove the button anyway, so why not make the hole just big enough for the threads on the back of the button?

Is your image for a smaller button? I had assumed it was for the existing button. Your design would probably look good for converting to a traditional smaller recessed button.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is your image for a smaller button?

Yes. Something like this, though the START text on it is redundant.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1912

I'm thinking that even with a collar, the big button is going to be too easy to press.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes. Something like this, though the START text on it is redundant.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1912
I'm thinking that even with a collar, the big button is going to be too easy to press.

Maybe Mezelmods could print one up for you.

#41 4 years ago

I would be interested. I would prefer a more decorative version rather than a plain, but I'll take either.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe Mezelmods could print one up for you.

I thought about that. I also have a friend at work who owns a 3D printer.

Curiosity ended up getting the better of me, and I ended up taking measurements, learning enough SketchUp to get me by, uploaded to Shapeways, and ordered in a couple of different materials.

My guesses on the measurements were off by a good bit, and the finished product is not nearly as large as the sketch above.
WOZ Start Button Guard Decaled.png

#43 4 years ago

Thanks Herg.

I just noticed this from Swinks:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/G69YKY8WZ/pinball-start-button-dress-ring-large-lip?li=search-results-1&optionId=18375539

It is not the same function or purpose, but I may order one for a Stern game to try it out.

#44 4 years ago

Install a right side Pingulp on the left side. Problem solved.

#45 4 years ago

So how about a Toto picture over the start button then a recovery collar around it

toto_collarred.jpg

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you made a new nut it would have to be treaded and would be more harder to make so I was thinking of something that snuggly fits over the existing nut and pressure holds the collar on or could be crazy glued on to hold better.
Almost like a dog recovery collar but straight on the sides and the button would be recessed inside.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

If you made a new nut it would have to be treaded and would be more harder to make so I was thinking of something that snuggly fits over the existing nut and pressure holds the collar on or could be crazy glued on to hold better.
Almost like a dog recovery collar but straight on the sides and the button would be recessed inside.

Doesn't the button already have a nut and the button/nut combination would hold the housing Herg is attempting to make to the cabinet?

button.jpg

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Doesn't the button already have a nut and the button/nut combination would hold the housing Herg is attempting to make to the cabinet?
button.jpg

Yes. At least for my collar, you would remove the nut, then remove the button from the cabinet. Insert the button into the collar, then back into the cabinet. Finally, replace the nut on the inside of the cabinet.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes. At least for my collar, you would remove the nut, then remove the button from the cabinet. Insert the button into the collar, then back into the cabinet. Finally, replace the nut on the inside of the cabinet.

Sounds good. I am excited to see how it turns out.

2 weeks later
#50 4 years ago

I received them today. Here's a picture of the three I tried. The black in the middle is a "beta" material that is slightly blacker black, but cost about 2.5X the one on the left. The green one ended up a good bit more pale than I had hoped.

20150822_134936.jpg

... and now installed.

20150822_141919.jpg
20150822_141927.jpg

The inner diameter is a little bigger than it needs to be, but I'm pretty happy with it considering it was my first attempt at 3D modeling.

I've already offered the extra black one to DCFAN if he wants it. The green one is free to the first PM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside