(Topic ID: 190428)

Request for help with Zip-a-Doo 1970s pinball table

By keith23464

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keith23464.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi there. I am a new pinball table owner. I picked up a 1970 Bally Zip-A-Doo pinball machine recently and was hoping that I could get some advice on how to get it operational. It looks to be in very good shape. The seller says that it was his uncles and was in storage for about 20 years before he was given it and that to the best of his knowledge it worked when it was stored away. It was dissembled and he just bolted the legs and the back panel on and sold it as is. I now have it. I am a complete novice with pinball machines but I am pretty mechanically OK. I have refurbished 1940's slot machines but this is my first pinball table. This looks to have been rigged for free play. Someone removed the front lock from the change area and it appears that some wires were rigged there. I hooked the two connectors up for the rear score section and plugged it in and at first nothing came up. When I hit the left flipper all the lights come on. At one point I did something that got the flippers actually working but I have not been able to achieve that again. I guess I have a few questions:

A. Is there a boot sequence for these 1970 Bally machines?
B. Is there a place where one can find or buy schematics for these?
C. Is there a preferred troubleshooting method for these units?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am in Virginia Beach as an FYI and I can post some pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Thanks! Keith

#4 6 years ago

I got it working. I think the problem was that there were no credits in the machine. So to get credits does one just spin the credit wheel behind the machine? Somehow I had played with a lever in the coin area and I think I got one credit to register. Then we spun that credit wheel up to 24. Now it is decreasing as we play. I am ordering the schematic and a replacement rubber kit for it today. Thanks for any input guys. I appreciate it. When these are set for free play how does one get the credit to register? Or is it that this is not really set for free play so I have to trick it to think there are credits in the machine?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keith23464.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/request-for-help-with-zip-a-doo-1970s-pinball-table?tu=keith23464 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.