1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

The pinball categories keep changing as time marches on and new categories of pinball machines are created. As I see them now:

• Pure Mechanical
    • Woodrail Pre-Flipper
    • Woodrail Flipper
    • Electro-Mechanical 60s
    • Electro-Mechanical 70s
    • Solid State
    • DMDs
    • LCDs

I am suggesting that the Top 100 lists be broken down into these categories. It just isn't fair to group woodrails with EMs from the 60s and 70s and SS pins with modern DMDs. As they stand now, the Top 100 lists don't seem to reflect reality, or at least reality as I see it. No way that Bally's Fireball is #70 in the EM category and Wizard! is #135??!! Perhaps a more detailed breakdown will more accurately portray where a pin should be ranked.

This would also allow for customization of the categories used for ratings for each pin group. For example, there is no need for a 'Toys/Gimmicks' and 'Sounds and Speech' categories for EMs. The 'Gimmicks' category might apply, but there are no Toys on EM pins. These are now 'Optional', like 'ANIMATIONS', but it would be simpler and a lot more accurate, if they were removed for pinball categories where they weren't appropriate.

I would also like to see a 'Most Wanted' list by Pinsiders broken down by the same categories. This list would give me a better idea for the desirability and demand for a game - helpful when pricing and buying pins.

What do you think? Yay Or Nay?

#2 1 year ago

This is absolutely needed. The proposed format would truly help the comparison/ratings battle and put machines on equal terms based on technology at the time of production.
    -Mike

#3 1 year ago

I find that the longer I hang around pinside, the less I look at or care about the top 100 list.

I don’t disagree with your proposal, but the top 100 list is flawed with how games are ranked (imho) and it is to inaccurate to believe.

#4 1 year ago

No toys? Tell that to nip it and doodle bug!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

No toys? Tell that to nip it and doodle bug!

Those are gimmicks! Don't toys usually sit above the plastics and usually have no purpose other than to look nice? The 'Gimmicks' category is appropriate for EMs.

#6 1 year ago

I would second the original sentiment of different categories and more tailored systems of rating for older games. The current rating categories are obviously modern-skewed. I say this as a dude in his thirties, so let's not make this a "blow-off-the-old-guard" situation.

At the very least I would think it would be possible to personally sort the results you're looking for (by the categories listed above by Pecos.

Good idea, Pecos.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Those are gimmicks! Don't toys usually sit above the plastics and usually have no purpose other that to look nice? The 'Gimmicks' category is appropriate for EMs.

No, gimmicks sit above the plastics and have no other purpose than to look nice. These are toys

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Tell that to nip it and doodle bug

I really like Doodle Bug... Squirrel!
    faz

#9 1 year ago

There is a "custom" tab that gives some flexibility beyond the standard top 100 list:

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/custom

#10 1 year ago

While we’re at it, there has to be a better name than ‘Gimmick’. How about ‘Unique Feature?’

#11 1 year ago

Nice! Thanks forceflow for pointing that out.

But, why are there only 60 pins listed when I select ‘Electro - Mechanic (-1975)’ in the ‘Custom Top 100’ tab? Why isn’t ‘OXO’ on that list when it is #40 in the EM Top 100 list? And, not to get too picky, but according to IPDB, 217 EMs were produced after 1975.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Nice! Thanks forceflow for pointing that out.
    But, why are there only 60 pins listed when I select ‘Electro - Mechanic (-1975)’ in the ‘Custom Top 100’ tab? Why isn’t ‘OXO’ on that list when it is #40 in the EM Top 100 list? And, not to get too picky, but according to IPDB, 217 EMs were produced after 1975.

Aren't there thresholds for a game showing up in the top 100? Minimum number of raters, etc?

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Aren't there thresholds for a game showing up in the top 100? Minimum number of raters, etc?

Yes. Minimum number of ratings for EMs is five. Minimum number of ratings for ss is fifteen.

#14 1 year ago

The minimum ratings thing will be a sticking point... especially with the early machines that may only survive in single digit numbers. Then it becomes a popularity contest based on which games have the greatest numbers still in existence.

#15 1 year ago

there are also many variations when it comes to SS games
    you cannot compare Mata Hari to Centaur, or either of them to any sys11

#16 1 year ago

I answered my own question. zacaj was on the right track. There are only 60 games listed for Electro-Mechanic games (-1975) Top 100 because the ‘Minimum ratings received’ dropdown box defaults to 15 ratings or more. When I changed it to 5 ratings or more, all 100 showed up. We need more ratings for EMs!

#17 1 year ago

Use the custom tools to create your own views.
    -mof

#18 1 year ago

I just took a look at the bang for buck list, pretty much all EMs. Maybe that could be broken down by era/type as well?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

bang for buck

Great idea for robin : Please add "custom controls" to bang/buck list.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I just took a look at the bang for buck list, pretty much all EMs.

Ha...bug or pretty much the truth with the prices these days?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 19.95
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 32.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside