4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by I_P_D_B
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider I_P_D_B.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I've been talking recently with Greg Kmiec about his Capcom days. He designed Breakshot.

He said if a whitewood played well, it was approved for release, then a "PB" number was given to it and engineering drawings were started.

(I found this PB number of which he speaks shows up on the schematics as a "Project Number", for the two games for which we have schematics.)

As these numbers get assigned sequentially, we can use them to determine the order in which engineering began for each of their games, and compare that to the order in which they hit the production line. And then we can see if any shuffling around fits the gossip that we hear about what happened at Capcom.

Ok, I'm kidding there.

But, in the interest of historical documentation, I would like to confirm the Project Number of each game. Games that never went beyond the whitewood stage would not have this number.

Now, of these Capcom games, Kmiec designed only the Breakout game and he says it was assigned "PB-6". I do see that number on the Breakout schematics. It was to be their 6th game but got moved up to be their 3rd game, bumping the others down the list.

Kmiec says this number can be seen in the art on the playfield "under the bottom arch" which I think he means you gotta remove the cardholder to find it. He's only sure about that for Breakout and cannot speak for the other Capcom games. So, I'm here posting this request.

Pinball Magic is their first game produced and its schematic does say "PB-1" so that fits.

The point is that I'd sure like to get photographic proof for all six of their games of that number as it appears under the cardholder.

Or, if it cannot be found under the cardholder, I'd ask to have a picture of the full area under the entire cardholder, to photo-document that it just ain't there and that we looked.

What's strange is that we have a document for Flipper Football that has a number PB-11 which throws off the whole idea.

But, that's the fun of forensic research.

So, if anyone reading this has access to a Capcom game such that you can remove the cardholder and take a picture or two, I ask that you consider this request I make, please.

As soon as you EMAIL me the picture(s), I'll post them. So, as this thread you are reading ages, anyone can always look first at our Capcom listings to see if photos have been already received for the game you have in mind to send.

Or, hey, if your Capcom game (not your BBB reissue) under its cardholder show something DIFFERENT than what I've already received, we'd want to know that too!

Oh, while I'm here, we also lack Model Numbers for the games. Is there a sticker on the back of your cabinet showing the model number from which you can make a focused close-up?

Here's our list:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=76&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Thanks you in advance for helping us document the pinball historical record!

Jay
    IPDB
    jay-at-ipdb-dot-org

1 month later
    #2 4 years ago

Ok, here's what I've assembled thus far, with your help sending picture proof.

Game Name / Project number under playfield / Model Number on sticker / Designer(s) /

Pinball Magic / PB-1 / PBM3000 / Bryan Hansen, Rob Hurtado /
    Airborne / PB-2 / AIR3001 / Claude Fernandez /
    Breakshot / PB-6 / BRK3002 / Greg Kmiec /
    Big Bang Bar / PB-3 / BIG3003 / Rob Morrison /
    Flipper Football / PB-11 / FFB3004 / Bryan Hansen, Python Anghelo /
    KingPin / Unknown / KP3005 / Mark Ritchie /

Does anyone reading this know someone who owns one of the nine Capcom Kingpins? I'd like to obtain a picture of the PB number under the apron.

Thank you.

Jay
    IPDB
    jay-at-ipdb-dot-org

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider I_P_D_B.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/request-for-capcom-owners-playfield-project-numbers?tu=I_P_D_B and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.