9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Tensikka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hello,

Just want to see is there any support. Issue is this: when running/participating to tournament, sometimes taking score can be very time consuming. Like some 90's WMS-games, it will take several minutes after game has ended when last scores are displayed again. So here is my suggestion (can't remember if I have wrote this previously, sorry if so):

All this when tournament mode is ON:

- After game ends, no match-feature (you almost never play with money in tournaments)
    - no attraction mode, just show scores on display for few minutes, then shut down display
    - shut down GI, just maybe cycle cpu lights one by one to demonstrate that game is on (less power consumed, less heat, less stress to components)
    - restore lightning (GI with max. power save) and display with press of both flipper buttons, again shut down after minute-two if nothing else happens

I would assume that this would be easily coded to all games if tools/source is available. PPS did ask for some ideas to softwares, they might have possibility to change WMS-games codes. And if this would make to old games, again I assume that Stern could add it to own software also.

Issue is not big but still it annoys me because it could be so easily be fixed. Also some interface where some statistics could be read from game online would be awesome. Then all scores etc. could be automatically transferred to tournament scoring system. Items could be: number of players, number of active player, number of ball in play, current score for all. Everything of these is in the memory of the game all the time so there must be a way to get the info out. This would make possible to have separate displays next to machines where would be scores all the time so no animations etc. would disturb. Would serve at least audience, those who are in the venue and those who watch online (like PapaTV) if embedded to broadcast. I know that there are products out there which can mirror DMD's info to separate screen but this is not what I'm after.

Just some tweaks to improve competitive play experience for all and to make everybody's life little easier. Scorekeeping can be quite pain so why not to ease up little bit.

#2 9 years ago

Match feature would always be gone before you got the score recorded anyways, and 99.9% of the time before you have your phone ready to take a picture or the scorekeeper handy.

Agree that it would be nice to not have an attract mode and show the scores longer, but you also forget that it serves a dual purpose on old games as well....you can burn an image into a plasma display. Having just one static image for potentially long periods of time is not great.

#3 9 years ago

As I stated, display could be shut down after minute or two to prevent burning. Also it would be little drawback to miss some of the great after game attract-modes, like in Dirty Harry etc. But still, this is suggestion to competitions, no need for extra bells and whistles there, motivation to play is already found And no, I don't have phobe with me all the time when playing and this is issue that is easily resolvable from the game-end.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tensikka:

easily resolvable from the game-end.

Only...it's..........not. Not for already released games. PPS isn't going to go back and do a code update JUST to do this. It's simply not going to happen. Then there will also undoubtedly be cases where source code is lost, and would require a complete overhaul, and on top of that, implementing complex controls like what you're describing may not even be possible on earlier non-DMD systems short of having a dedicated rom that changes the coding for the entire attract mode itself instead of being a menu option.

#5 9 years ago

I mean in theory if conditions are met. I'm not an coding expert at any means but this still can't be so difficult task to come by. After all, we have seen 3rd party to fix softwares to games without source or anything else (Like ChadH's DE-modifications).

One other way to resolve these issues could be stern way, if you press flipper button, game shows scores immediately. That would be also quite big change in practise but not in software-wise.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/req-changes-to-tournament-modes-in-all-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.