Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cuckoo_clock_2.gif
    ass.gif
    surprise.gif
    burn_them.jpg
    image-156.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like anyone is going to die if a few spammers and a few friendless misfits make some unwanted posts.
    Robin can just give the mods a bigger hammer and sooner or later the misfits will run out of steam.

I was an admin on a fairly large vBulletin site (500K registered users; 50K active) once upon a time. "Steam" from these "misfits" might be underestimated.

Spammers are endless; people write spambot programs that will sign up to a bulletin board and wait before posting. The same spambot might sign in to the same spamming account over a months time and finally drop its load.

What worked best was to allow all posting; but to only make new users visible to moderators as well as their threads and posts. If a moderator determined that the post / thread was legit, they would remove it from a queue and verify the user. It didn't stop the idiot contingent from posting; but it prevented them getting what they wanted, which was eyeballs on their links or their shenanigans.

A "new user" would automatically be moved into the "visible users" group 1 month after their first post, or after their 10th post. It makes sense that the moderating staff would be able to weed out the riff-raff in that time.

Usually, surprisingly, the spambots could be traced to either a single ip or an IP range. We would check to make sure no legitimate users were on that IP range before banning the range.

You might say "if you ban a range that someday might block a legit user", that's a big "IF". There are 4 billion different ip4 IPs on the planet. It's doubtful that all 4 billion of them (or even a significant part of them) will ever want to sign up here.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Artimage:

I'm not sure how a wait period is going to help. If you're a spammer you can easily register 3 or 4 accounts, wait for them to be able to post, then you're good to go. This wait time really only hurts new people that aren't screwing with the system. If one is going to spam or troll they just have to plan ahead a little, not hard to defeat at all.
    Having ones first post be moderated before it is seen seems like a much better option.

My post goes over how to get around that.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

I think a 7 day wait limit isn't a good idea, and I think lots of people had good examples why it's a bad idea for newcomers. You want a forum to be welcoming.

No need for a wait limit. Let them post, but make new user posts visible only to mods. If they're good posts, move the user into the 'visible' group. If not, axe 'em.

4 weeks later
    #155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

Just reading the OP for this thread.
    Think about this.
    Today a newbie to the world of pinball gets his first machine. Now at home excited, plugs it in and nothing!!
    A bit of Googling, finds Pinside - But has to wait weeks to post and get help.
    What would you do?
    Answers
    1/ Wait weeks for good help from Pinside.
    2/ Find another site and forget Pinside.
    3/ Gee, I don’t know.

I've mentioned this before, but it's easy.

1) All posts get posted... but only mods see posts from new users.
    2) Mods have a link in their control panel that opens threads and posts posted by new users
    3) When reading the threads/posts, they can easily discern spam from legit posts. They press one of two buttons: approve/reject. Doing so either puts the user into the posting group permanently, or it delays them being added. This gives Robin a chance to ban spammers.

vBulletin (a form of BBS software) can do this very thing, and it would be relatively easy to implement here I'm guessing (speaking as a software engineer myself).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/req-7-day-wait-for-new-accounts-to-be-able-to-post?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.