Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cuckoo_clock_2.gif
    ass.gif
    surprise.gif
    burn_them.jpg
    image-156.jpg
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I am torn on this.

I am tron on this. ...i just mark folks as spam and move on...

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

A lot does get missed by the mods since there are only about 6 active

Can we double that amount?

#153 9 years ago

Just reading the OP for this thread.

Think about this.

Today a newbie to the world of pinball gets his first machine. Now at home excited, plugs it in and nothing!!
    A bit of Googling, finds Pinside - But has to wait weeks to post and get help.

What would you do?
    Answers
    1/ Wait weeks for good help from Pinside.
    2/ Find another site and forget Pinside.
    3/ Gee, I don’t know.

#154 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well I think the first thing to do is implement a limit on using the PM system until you have X posts.

Excellent idea. Or until xx days - weeks.
    While I understand not being able to post could be counter-productive, this limitation should not.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

Just reading the OP for this thread.
    Think about this.
    Today a newbie to the world of pinball gets his first machine. Now at home excited, plugs it in and nothing!!
    A bit of Googling, finds Pinside - But has to wait weeks to post and get help.
    What would you do?
    Answers
    1/ Wait weeks for good help from Pinside.
    2/ Find another site and forget Pinside.
    3/ Gee, I don’t know.

I've mentioned this before, but it's easy.

1) All posts get posted... but only mods see posts from new users.
    2) Mods have a link in their control panel that opens threads and posts posted by new users
    3) When reading the threads/posts, they can easily discern spam from legit posts. They press one of two buttons: approve/reject. Doing so either puts the user into the posting group permanently, or it delays them being added. This gives Robin a chance to ban spammers.

vBulletin (a form of BBS software) can do this very thing, and it would be relatively easy to implement here I'm guessing (speaking as a software engineer myself).

#156 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

"Retired Pinsider"

Are they eligible for some kind of pension?

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

A lot of people end up here because they're having an issue with a machine and are looking for advice. A week is a long time to wait.

Thats a good point. Its pretty obvious when someone is posting to cause issues. More surprising to me are the one or two guys that will respond and spar with them. Like they say, it takes two to have an argument and they would stop posting if we stopped playing.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

I've mentioned this before, but it's easy.

Agreed, there are a lot of possible solutions. Waiting a week should not be one of them, but (My point in my post).

One thing I often read on newbie posts is “thanks for the fast reply”, which is really cool and a credit to Pinside and its people.

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/req-7-day-wait-for-new-accounts-to-be-able-to-post/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.