5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cuckoo_clock_2.gif
    ass.gif
    surprise.gif
    burn_them.jpg
    image-156.jpg

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Seeing today's influx of junk, I wanted to re-suggest something...a 7 day wait on new accounts to be able to post.
    Let them view, and be read-only. But 7 days before they can post.

I think it will stop the bulk of spammers who just want to create an account and mess with people and leave.

#2 5 years ago

Thats a good idea.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #4 5 years ago

and a 2 week wait to start a thread...

Id checks would be sweet too.

#5 5 years ago

Yup..scan yer passport lads...Njgecko is demanding more security

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from NixxyV2:

Lol what a douchebag! U kant be serous? Weally? R u upsets.?

He is back!

#7 5 years ago

Ain't you unfreindly

#8 5 years ago

A lot of people end up here because they're having an issue with a machine and are looking for advice. A week is a long time to wait.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

A lot of people end up here because they're having an issue with a machine and are looking for advice. A week is a long time to wait.

They can use the search function to find an answer to their question that already has 5 threads on that specific issue.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

They can use the search function to find an answer to their question that already has 5 threads on that specific issue.

We were all noobs once

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Whoa whoa...Starting a thread with the same crap in 100 other threads is a hallmark of Pinside!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

The Pinside search is not too good, and many people need handholding, especially on their first repair.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Pinside search is not too good,

True, need to be patient with that thing...

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Pinside search is not too good

If I want to use the pinside search, I go to google and type what I want to look for followed by the word "pinside". It works better.

#15 5 years ago

How about mods have to pre-approve any posts/threads for first X days before they appear on the site?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

If I want to use the pinside search, I go to google and type what I want to look for followed by the word "pinside". It works better.

I do the same thing, lol.

#18 5 years ago

See below for case and point.

Cmon, noobs cant figure out how to use google.

#19 5 years ago

I am torn on this.

A lot of people will join, and lose interest if they don't have immediate access.

That's no good.

A lot of people who need help won't get it, if they don't have immediate access.

I say... the report a post feature is there. If we need a few more moderators due to lack of coverage at some times, so be it, elect a few, and have people squash spam and ban spammers quickly.

I'd rather have a little spam to skip over, than keep someone who has a genuine interest, or needs our help, from joining us.

#20 5 years ago

The video game forum does exactly this if you are referred by a current user and if you want immediate access you have to make a $2 or more donation!

#21 5 years ago

It's not like anyone is going to die if a few spammers and a few friendless misfits make some unwanted posts.

Robin can just give the mods a bigger hammer and sooner or later the misfits will run out of steam.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like anyone is going to die if a few spammers and a few friendless misfits make some unwanted posts.

Bondetall doesnt need to have that hate directed towards her, that type of junk never should be on the forum.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

I tend to agree. My first time on pinside was because I needed some immediate help with a flipper issue. I was in over my head. I got great advice and got it quickly. I would have been sorely disappointed if I had to wait.

The spammers don't bother me that much. They are easy to ignore.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Bondetall doesnt need to have that hate directed towards her, that type of junk never should be on the forum.

But the logic of making someone wait so that doesn't happen is flawed.

Part of being a moderator is having to deal with crap like that. It can come from a disgruntled current member as much as it can come from a newbie. If they cross the line, ban them and show them the door, problem solved.

Being a moderator is a big responsibility, it should not be taken lightly. Being a moderator is not a popularity contest, you have to do what is best for the forum. She's a big girl and she's done a good job. There are plenty of jerks in life, we deal with them and shake them off.

#25 5 years ago

One guy is screwing around and you guys want new rules ?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Then why on earth would you reply to the thread (feed the troll)? All you're doing is giving him the attention he craves. Not helping at all. Same goes for vid. You guys have been here a while. No excuse for feeding trolls. Try setting a good example.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Part of being a moderator is having to deal with crap like that. It can come from a disgruntled current member as much as it can come from a newbie. If they cross the line, ban them and show them the door, problem solved.

But it doesn't solve the problem because that person registers again and again...Im assuming youve seen the Nixxyknight---RogerBeans--Diddlydonk guy throwing fecies around for 2 days now?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Then why on earth would you reply to the thread (feed the troll)? All you're doing is giving him the attention he craves. Not helping at all. Same goes for vid. You guys have been here a while. No excuse for feeding trolls. Try setting a good example.

Blaming us is like blaming the gun of a madman shooting up a place.

#29 5 years ago

There has to be a way to stop new posters from posting a link.
    If they can't post a link then the site is of no use to a spammer.
    If we all report these when they pop up and don't click the links they will eventually give up.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Blaming us is like blaming the gun of a madman shooting up a place.

Replying to trolls doesn't help. You're pouring gas on the fire.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

There has to be a way to stop new posters from posting a link.
    If they can't post a link then the site is of no use to a spammer.
    If we all report these when they pop up and don't click the links they will eventually give up.

^^^ this^^^ & a donation requirement to join, should weed out the idiots...

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

a donation requirement to join, should weed out the idiots...

Except for us people who don't have Paypal accounts....

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Ok, what did I miss? Do I have another Youtube video dedicated to me?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

a donation requirement to join, should weed out the idiots...

You know, it's funny: I'll pay $3 for a cup of coffee but not buy a 99 cent app. I think if there was even a small donation required to join, I would never have joined this site. But now that I have joined and see the immense value in it, I have donated on my own.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Ok, what did I miss? Do I have another Youtube video dedicated to me?

I just pm'd you but yeah NixxyBeanBonger was being his charming self again.....

#36 5 years ago

So maybe a mix of immediate posting for a donation and free posting after a day or more. Anyone with a serious problem would pay $2 to solve their problem. Reminds me to make a donation...

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Except for us people who don't have Paypal accounts....

image-156.jpg

I hated PayPal for the longest time, but it comes in pretty handy sometimes .

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

This is EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the original post!

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Robin can just give the mods a bigger hammer and sooner or later the misfits will run out of steam.

I was an admin on a fairly large vBulletin site (500K registered users; 50K active) once upon a time. "Steam" from these "misfits" might be underestimated.

Spammers are endless; people write spambot programs that will sign up to a bulletin board and wait before posting. The same spambot might sign in to the same spamming account over a months time and finally drop its load.

What worked best was to allow all posting; but to only make new users visible to moderators as well as their threads and posts. If a moderator determined that the post / thread was legit, they would remove it from a queue and verify the user. It didn't stop the idiot contingent from posting; but it prevented them getting what they wanted, which was eyeballs on their links or their shenanigans.

A "new user" would automatically be moved into the "visible users" group 1 month after their first post, or after their 10th post. It makes sense that the moderating staff would be able to weed out the riff-raff in that time.

Usually, surprisingly, the spambots could be traced to either a single ip or an IP range. We would check to make sure no legitimate users were on that IP range before banning the range.

You might say "if you ban a range that someday might block a legit user", that's a big "IF". There are 4 billion different ip4 IPs on the planet. It's doubtful that all 4 billion of them (or even a significant part of them) will ever want to sign up here.

#40 5 years ago

I would rather ignore or outsmart the few tools who come on here to cause trouble over punishing the kindness of strangers.

#41 5 years ago

Other forums I have frequented have used a mutiple line of defense approach and 1 thing that seemed to help with spam bots (which we seem to be getting lots of lately) was a captcha for the first 20 posts. Many spambots are not capable of getting past that security point and could save the mods lots of headache.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Pinside search is not too good, and many people need handholding, especially on their first repair.

this...

not to mention the fact that if it is your first repair, you likely have NO clue what you are searching for... i mostly hang out in the em section, and "we" see a lot of questions from people that are motivated to fix their machine, but don't have the knowledge to even know where to start... and if you don't know where to start and you don't know the teminology, it can be impossible to search... it is easy to say "you could have searched and found your answer", but people tend to forget what is was like when they first started... for example, i can say to someone, "well, if you had just searched for 'hold relay', you would have found your answer", but if that person has no idea that a hold relay even exists, they ain't gonna have much luck searching...

and even if you are well-versed on one vintage of machines, this can still be a problem... i can ask an intelligent question and/or search for info on em machines... but i wouldn't have the first idea of where to start should my "bad cats" have board issues...

bots are a small annoyance in the grand scheme of things... it is part of using the internet, and it is easy enough to blip past bot posts...

#43 5 years ago

Requiring a donation to join seems strange to me. I like the current set up, you donate if you are able or want to, if you can't, or don't want to, so be it. It may turn off potential members. The current setup, where people join, like what they see, and if they can/want to donate, they have that choice.

The KLOV method is interesting.. but it seems to work. Get a referral from someone you know who is already a member, and it costs nothing, if you don't know somebody, 2 bucks will get you in. But, again, not everyone has the 2 bucks, paypal or knows somebody. When I got interested in pinball, the only pinball guy I knew was the retailer who sold me my first pin.

Or, the captcha for the first 20 posts. Is it annoying? YES. But would it stop me from joining a forum I wanted to give a spin? No!

Having said all that.. I'm still OK with having thicker skin, ignoring and reporting posts, and just living with it.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Cmon, noobs cant figure out how to use google

I wasn't showing them how to google. I was showing how much better google was than using the pinside search.

#46 5 years ago

I wasn't showing them how to google. I was showing how much better google was than using the pinside search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+account+post+pinside&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#q=new+account+post+site:pinside.com&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

Add 'site:' fine tunes the search a wee bit more

#47 5 years ago

Just dont google google, it allows a wormhole for hackers to infiltrate pinside.

#48 5 years ago

Yeah, I'm going to need someone to find me some crazy repellent please. Then I'm going to douse myself in it and make a perimeter around Pinside.

#49 5 years ago

What is going on? I got this pm this morning.
    Hello Hwawonyu,

Thank you for participating on Pinside.com. Unfortunately, we have had to delete your post (quoted below) because it violated the Pinside community rules as: general forum rule violation

Your post:

He is back!

The moderator also added the following remark:

Hello, you may remember me from yesterday.

NixxyV2.......u snitched on me.

now its my turn ..lol Banned Faggot

The moderator has put your account on temporary "freeze", until the Pinside team and administrators can discuss this violation.

#50 5 years ago

Ignore it. Temp "Idiot Glitch" Ok now....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 13.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    $ 0.10
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside