(Topic ID: 221588)

Reputation and transparency in this hobby.

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7CD1397A-9A67-47CD-9A2E-B284E1D9B116 (resized).jpeg
    invisible1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoby1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have been doing pins for about 20 years..... when I sell a game I ask top dollar and people pay it based on my reputation. I try to give the most accurate description and pics I can . I also point out any flaws no matter how tiny.

When buying a game I have no problem driving and paying a little more for the best..... Just OCD I guess.

Nothing fires me up more than asking if there are any issues or small flaws with a game and you get answers " its flawless / mint / perfect " only to drive 4 hrs RT to find a 1" scratch and pencil eraser size PF chip that was conveniently not mentioned or able to be seen in the pics.

What a FKN waste of a day.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Did the seller know that you were this particular... "OCD" as you put it?
    Not trying to offend, because I get where you're coming from, but I have found that 90 to 95% of the population considers anything less than normal wear and tear as exceptional. Not only that, but that same 95% will often dismiss people who demand better as unreasonable if not "anal". And not just in pinball, but almost anything... I run into this often while collecting HO model trains. I have learned to accept that most items I obtain are going to have some small blemish. I could be anal about it, but often that means not ever getting the item in hand. Sometimes "better condition" simply won't exist in a timely or reasonable fashion.
    Very often the sellers are honest and well meaning and simply don't know better, or get overwhelmed and miss or forget something because what's critically important to one buyer is not even on the radar of another.
    Regardless, you've a right to demand the perfection that you seek, but you also need to make your expectations perfectly clear. I guarantee to most people, if all you could find was a 1" scratch and a pencil eraser chip, that would be damn near perfect... hell, that's exactly the definition. After all, some games come out of the box with worse! Never mind what some consider "imamaculate"
    Now then, if you WERE very clear about your expectations as an OCD/anal collector type, and/or the blemishes were so conveniently blatantly obvious to even a casual observer, well then I'd be pissed too...

When you repeatedly ask the question..... are there ANY flaws or issues on the PF or cab as Im only looking for perfect,

I think thats pretty clear.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Do you really think the seller heard your repeated questions and thought, 'Let me have this guy waste a day, my opinion is the only one that matters.'?

No.... he wants to sell a game.

Also I not going into details but the pics and what were seen at time of purchase were clearly very different.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So, even the pics intentionally masked the issues?

This thread was not meant to make an example of or point someone out. Only to reveal frustration. Yes pics and actual were way different

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Where there is pinball, there is no perfection. I can find something wrong with any game. HEP, high restorations, you name it no game is perfect. If I am selling a game and a guy calls me and says he wants a perfect one, I will say good luck and hang up the phone. If you want some version of a perfect game
    do it yourself. But IMHO there is no such thing as a perfect game!

I agree 100%. Im not trying to point someone out, just venting my frustration .

#18 5 years ago

Just one last point .....this was not a price issue. I did not try to get 1 penny off the prenegotiated price, just walked away and said thank you, and I’ll let you know

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

What game was it? You have pictures of it? Let us see the big 1" scratch and the huge pencil size eraser head chip. If not this thread is pointless. Two sides to every story.

I dont want to go that far but heres a little more info...... lets just say in the pics the game was clearly clean and bright. in person it was full of wax around star posts, the PF, metal hardware and just all over in corners. So much so that my wife and I were wiping off numerous spots out in the open just to tell if they were not issues.

It would have needed a tear down and shop.... no big deal but it was not what I was expecting.

Each to there own and we all have our opinions right or wrong....... The game WAS very nice just not what I wanted or was expecting

And for those saying about me being picky thats ok, ask yourself would you be calling Stern for a ghosted insert or the same flaw on a new game. Thats why I asked " NO issues or flaws."

Quoted from MrBally:

Another addition to the "do not sell" list.

Another addition to the " do not buy list "

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoby1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reputation-and-transparency-in-this-hobby-?tu=hoby1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.