Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jorro
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

Another boredom project here to avoid burnout on other projects. So I decided to bust out the schematics on Pinball 2000 and try to reverse engineer the underlying control system with the hopes of taking control of the machine with modern PC hardware.

I am at the point where I can poll the switch matrix and control both lamp matrices in the machine. The goal here is to turn my SWE1 into a players game while also working toward a NuCore replacement. Using modern day game frameworks and systems, it should not be difficult to replicate the RFM/SWE1 experience on modern hardware to extend the life of these machines.

One consideration is obviously the parallel port... since the parallel port is direct signal IO, it'd be easy to fabricate a bridge piece of hardware based on an Arduino that can accept USB serial commands, but I had no problem finding a board with a parallel port on it when I purchased the PC.

The software runs a C++ base framework I wrote for communicating with the Pinball 2000 driver board. It polls the switch matrix every 2ms (each column is strobed every 16ms), the lamp matrix is updated every 2ms as well. Timing is very important as the lamp matrix runs at 18VDC, and the pulsing of the matrix cuts the overall power down to about 6.3VDC to prevent you from frying bulbs (yep, I went through quite a few when I was figuring that out).

Either way, here's a video of the progress so far!

More updates as they come!

Keep flippin', pinsiders! I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

#2 10 years ago

Compy - I thought what you did with Demo Man was awesome - glad to see you are heading in this direction. Are you hoping to develop a programmed kit for sale? Any ideas so far for rules changes?

#3 10 years ago

The idea is to offer up a conversion kit so you guys can keep your machines ticking. No external hardware, no NVRAM chips, etc.

Thanks for the kudos on DM! Its not 100% complete yet, but it sure as heck was a fun project!

I don't really have any ideas for that just yet, however that's what this thread is for!

#4 10 years ago

You sir are AWESOME!!!

If there's anything at all I can assist with, please let me know.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#5 10 years ago

Compy - I think you are going to have a good sized army of guys will to test for you - let me know if I can test or help in any way - now that you can control the driver board - do you think you can control another playfield - in other words are you close to a backbone for a new pin2000 game?

#7 10 years ago

I would find this project something that would be a lot of fun to work on. If you want any help let me know. I'll buy a SWE1 and necessary HW and help you on the coding end - of course only if you're interested in assistance now or in the future.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

You sir are AWESOME!!!
If there's anything at all I can assist with, please let me know.

Hah, careful, I might have to take you up on that When I blow some ICs or something, my boards may be making their way to you. Thanks a bunch, I might also get with you about testing down the road

Quoted from boo32:

Compy - I think you are going to have a good sized army of guys will to test for you - let me know if I can test or help in any way - now that you can control the driver board - do you think you can control another playfield - in other words are you close to a backbone for a new pin2000 game?

That's the great thing about pinside! I just have to get things in order so nothing goes awry when the OS finds its way into other people's machines. But yeah, the software only took a few days to write, and its quickly shaping its way up as a game framework for other Pinball 2000 games. However, there's a great deal of things like licensing to consider and are a tad beyond the scope of this topic. If you've got ideas, let's throw them out here!

-- Jimmy

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I would find this project something that would be a lot of fun to work on. If you want any help let me know. I'll buy a SWE1 and necessary HW and help you on the coding end - of course only if you're interested in assistance now or in the future.

Hey thanks, Mark! If you come across one down the road, feel free to pitch in. The framework isn't quite ready yet as its only a few days old, and I'm still largely reverse engineering how things work, and unless you want to get involved in that stage, you may have some time to shop around

Many thanks!

#10 10 years ago

Pinsider's meet Neo (Compy)....................Neo meet pinsider's. Can I have your autograph?

#11 10 years ago

Is a license necessary if all you are providing is a way for the end user to rearrange the data and license info he already owns? Could a rule set revamp using the video that came with the SWE1 system be considered a fair use so that you could avoid by license issues by providing end users a means of reordering what they already own?

#12 10 years ago

I just traded my SWEI but I hope you succeed . You are a smart dude.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Is a license necessary if all you are providing is a way for the end user to rearrange the data and license info he already owns? Could a rule set revamp using the video that came with the SWE1 system be considered a fair use so that you could avoid by license issues by providing end users a means of reordering what they already own?

To me, yes, I consider that legitimate. I'm trying to avoid a copyright discussion here. I plan to provide these kits to people who already own the games, and any other additional game assets that have to be used outside of what already shipped with the game will be negotiated separately (mostly with rightsholders other than WMS).

I dig your ideas Lets crank out some rule sheets!

#14 10 years ago

Make sure to remove all Jar Jar, and while you're at it, high def footage of EP1-3 would be pretty sweet. Good luck negotiating rights for that though.

#15 10 years ago

after you get SWE1 done, you need to build a P2k machine from scratch. Even with all the boutique pin manufacturers out there, there has yet to be a single one that is doing this platform.

Nice job, love seeing your projects!

#16 10 years ago

I wonder whether a kickstarter for a pin2000 machine from scratch would get someone inspired to make a new pin2000 kit. I bet someone could get 100 prepaid orders.

#17 10 years ago

GREAT NEWS!!!!

Thanks for taking this on!!!

so much good news for Pin2K!

#18 10 years ago

Very impressive!

#19 10 years ago

Keep It up!!! I have a EP1 becouse I love starwars and it would be amazing to have it as a players game. As well as I do not have the nucore..

Quoted from markmon:I would find this project something that would be a lot of fun to work on. If you want any help let me know. I'll buy a SWE1 and necessary HW and help you on the coding end - of course only if you're interested in assistance now or in the future.

Yo mark
I know you will prob be able to snag one up, but if by chance you want to use my EPS1 to help with the project I'm down!!!

#20 10 years ago

Alright, solenoids are now flipping!

So now the next thing I have to do is the higher level game framework code. So one thing is choosing a way to render the video and such. I am torn as to whether or not I want to emulate the old rom code or just re-write it... hmmm *ponder*

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Make sure to remove all Jar Jar, and while you're at it, high def footage of EP1-3 would be pretty sweet. Good luck negotiating rights for that though.

Hah, yeah the Jar Jar would be a bit toned down from what it is now

"Plunge the ball and use your flippers!"

#22 10 years ago

I cannot get enough of this guy!!! Dude you are a genius! Can I ask what you do for a living?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I cannot get enough of this guy!!! Dude you are a genius! Can I ask what you do for a living?

Hah, nah no genius here. I'm just a pinball enthusiast (and have been since I was a kid in the 90s). I'm a software engineer for a living.

Thanks for the kudos It really helps drive what I'm doing.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hah, nah no genius here.

Bull $hit!!!...................I am the dark knight and I beat up bad guys for a living and I say you are a genius.

#25 10 years ago

Haha, if you say so goodsir Either way, its a lot of fun!

#26 10 years ago

I work in the software industry, I'm impressed. I have an RFM but I'm in Florida , wish I could help

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I work in the software industry, I'm impressed. I have an RFM but I'm in Florida , wish I could help

Hey, thanks for the kudos You guys are more than helpful with the ideas and feedback (positive or negative). If I get fed up with my current job (and when I finish my masters), I may have to hit you up for a job then (then I could use your RFM, maybe?)

I grew up in Lakeland, Florida. Lovely place.

Thanks for the feedback!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

So now the next thing I have to do is the higher level game framework code. So one thing is choosing a way to render the video and such. I am torn as to whether or not I want to emulate the old rom code or just re-write it... hmmm *ponder*

Well.....if you get it to emulating instead of rewriting it, it would work for RFM as well I suppose?!

1 month later
#29 10 years ago

Any progress?

#30 10 years ago

Yeah so far so good! I've got a few timing issues I'm trying to work out, but I've got it interacting with Unity3D and I'm making some new videos. Now that I'm through my stupid final exams, things should be a bit easier. Still looking for someone with an RFM at some point for some rules tweaking!

However yeah, great stuff so far I'm not sure whether or not I should re-theme it entirely though... spaceballs? dunno.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yeah so far so good! I've got a few timing issues I'm trying to work out, but I've got it interacting with Unity3D and I'm making some new videos. Now that I'm through my stupid final exams, things should be a bit easier. Still looking for someone with an RFM at some point for some rules tweaking!
However yeah, great stuff so far I'm not sure whether or not I should re-theme it entirely though... spaceballs? dunno.

Great to hear you are still working on this... Legend! I know where there is a RFM for around $3000.. Could definitely be worth it if I can upgrade the guts and 'refresh' the game!

Cheers and really appreciate your hard work!

#32 10 years ago

Yea great ! Cat wait !

#33 10 years ago

I feel like battling darth, could be a lot more interactive.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

One consideration is obviously the parallel port... since the parallel port is direct signal IO, it'd be easy to fabricate a bridge piece of hardware based on an Arduino that can accept USB serial commands, but I had no problem finding a board with a parallel port on it when I purchased the PC.

maybe do or just have it work with all the USB to Parallel port cables out there. As well as PCI and PCI-e Parallel port Cards.

#35 10 years ago

No, keep it Star Wars but anything with the original Star Wars characters would be great, even the original soundtrack would be nice. I would love to battle AT-AT's!!

#36 10 years ago

if you need any help testing I have Optiplex 745/755 boxes laying around and a SWE1

would love to help

I know basic C++ and am good with electronics (have various test equipment also, scopes etc)

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

maybe do or just have it work with all the USB to Parallel port cables out there. As well as PCI and PCI-e Parallel port Cards.

existing USB > Parallel adapters won't work... they don't make a proper LPT port on the PC but a USB DOT printer port... which will work with most printers but won't work for trying to talk to real hardware directly

only way would be programming a PIC/AVR of some kind with a USB port and 8 i/o lines like an arduino or something

ex

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en

#38 10 years ago

I gotta replace the 5v regulator on my driver board. Something, umm, magically happened to it last week...

So you got things working in Unity as well eh?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

existing USB > Parallel adapters won't work... they don't make a proper LPT port on the PC but a USB DOT printer port... which will work with most printers but won't work for trying to talk to real hardware directly

That's correct! The system needs the port to be addressed at 0x378 in memory so it can send data to the driver board. You can get some PCI cards that will also give you a parallel port at that address. Its good to see someone came up with a smart replacement option for it though, I may have to try that out.

Quoted from Linolium:

I gotta replace the 5v regulator on my driver board. Something, umm, magically happened to it last week...
So you got things working in Unity as well eh?

That'll get you I remember having some timing issues related to data flow on the port, and it would cause the entire machine to start freaking out when I was flashing a bunch of lamps and firing a coil at the same time, however I've got that pretty much squared away now. I did write a bridge into unity, however its not all the same process. I am writing an API so that multiple game engines can be used whenever possible.

Quoted from Iamdarras:

I feel like battling darth, could be a lot more interactive.

Agreed... If only I could make this game NOT such a center-drain monster.

Quoted from flecom:

if you need any help testing I have Optiplex 745/755 boxes laying around and a SWE1
would love to help
I know basic C++ and am good with electronics (have various test equipment also, scopes etc)

I'll be sure to hit you up!

Keep the ideas coming! They're great so far.

#40 10 years ago

Great project

#41 10 years ago

make the center worth something, but the ramps really worth something. Might even play different animations when the ramps are hit during a battle. What if it was not just Maul you fought? Also there is a roll over button up in the back right that is not used.
Just thoughts

#42 10 years ago

how about making it KoTOR themed

I would love you forever!!! lol

2 months later
#43 10 years ago

Any news?

#44 10 years ago

Very cool!!! If you will be selling this in a later state I hope you will not take crazy money for it like the nUCore guys!

#45 10 years ago

Also, I work as a graphic designer, if you would need any help with designing a new playfield with the original trilogy characters let me know.

#46 10 years ago

Open to help w/development or Beta test.
Have both RFM & SWE1

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

1 year later
#47 9 years ago

Looks like the project is dead.

What a pity. I am a SWEP1 fan.
Could be such a great pin with some small changes to the ruleset and missions.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Galaga:

Looks like the project is dead.
What a pity. I am a SWEP1 fan.
Could be such a great pin with some small changes to the ruleset and missions.

the bigger thing is to recode it to not be tied to that old PC chip set and the custom PCI card.

#49 9 years ago

Any explanation as to why this died??

#50 9 years ago

Compy's really busy with other projects currently ... of the paying the bills variety.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 85.00
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reprogramming-swe1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.