(Topic ID: 160727)

Reproduction SS displays that actually look good?

By Otaku

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dzrossi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l225_(resized).jpg
dis079_(resized).jpg
xp-wms11610-w-600x295_(resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Every single one of my Comet score displays is fully burned out. Tested on another System 9 game with known-good display components, and also reflowing solder did no good. Credit display works, which is especially why I wanted to keep the rest of the set Williams original too.

Anyways, I'm trying to weigh my opinions as finding originals in any condition is proving to be a bit of a pain.

The problem I have with most of these new displays is they look AWFUL. I'm really surprised nobody else complains about this (especially with all of the other things complained about), but the fact that you can see the unlit digits/segments (aka seeing a very noticeable "clear" 8,8,8,8,8,8,8, with the machine turned fully off) really bugs the hell out of me, especially since you have to look insanely close at the originals to see those if at all.

With every pinball show I go to I find I can immediately point out a reproduction display across all generations, even if it's in orange-colored like the original. Has anybody gotten any of this right yet? Thoughts?

I think some of these come with a special cover that blocks it out a little but I find it to be far from enough. Maybe I'll just track them down individually?

Thanks guys!

Steven

dis079_(resized).jpg
xp-wms11610-w-600x295_(resized).jpg

s-l225_(resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Steven, you are fighting a losing battle with gas displays. They are all going to gas out. If you find replacements, you may find you are disappointed when your replacements fail sooner than you expect.

#3 5 years ago

I agree that "all" displays have an end life however there are plenty of sources for new gass glass replacements and board rebuilt components. I would try a new glass replacement. As far life of the display? For home use you will be just fine.

Also in the club of not liking the cheap 70's something 7 segment displays they are putting out. They could do better but are most likely trying to hit a price point.

Don

#4 5 years ago

I like original boards for the most part. Displays and that abomination of a power supply in GTB S1 is the exception.

I got an Xpin display this last black friday special ($150 or so i think it was). That was easy choice over finding a new plasma glass and replacing it the old burned out plasma (its a chore to be done by someone skiledl at PCB rework).

Very happy with the LED blocks Xpin uses. They are pretty close to the plasma look.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Steven, you are fighting a losing battle with gas displays. They are all going to gas out. If you find replacements, you may find you are disappointed when your replacements fail sooner than you expect.

For this story.....

I bought two pieces of plasma glass from a pinsider or RGPr a while back. When i got them in tested them both and they worked and looked great. I had a glass gas out in my TimeWarp. I throw one of those used by working ones i got. It worked about three hours before it gassed out too! The display heated up a bit after sitting dormant for how knows long, and the seam split open and the gas escaped. Dead......

Can't really fault hte guy i bought the used glass from a time back, it did work, just briefly and there probably wasn't any clue it was going to gas out and work briefly. Just ate that one. The 2nd glass I got is working fine for 6 months or so.

Glass with nipple seals are less likely to have a gas out situation than the ones that are just sandwhiched together sheets of glass (which split open at corners and gas out).

#6 5 years ago

The guy working on the DYI LED displays got a quote on custom digits that more closely matched the original gas displays and it was over $10K.

I suppose if you like losing a ton of money you could get it done.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Exactly.

You are gonna have to get over it. It isn't an issue for me personally.

#8 5 years ago

I don't like any of the repro 6/7 digit displays, I would buy them if they looked the same as the plasma displays, but they don't look close enough to me.

Now I am getting worried about failure rate of vintage NOS glass. I have been stocking up on lots of NOS plasma displays, mostly dated around 1980, furthermore quite a few are the type with no nipple.

3 months later
#9 5 years ago

I was reading this thread as I am trying to decide if I should purchase a working 7 digit numeric plasma display for my high speed or purchase XPIN led full replacement. I agree that plasma looks better but I am concerned about the other displays gassing out. When I turn my machine on the displays that do work have little faint lines on them. Numeric (Speeder 4) worse than Alphanumeric (Speeder 1 and 2) After machine warms up lines go away and displays are crystal clear. Not sure if it is my power supply or are the displays slowly gassing out. Thought?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside