New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 250142)

Reproduction Cabinet Maker Recommendation

By mitgrad93

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190908_125851 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_225503 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've finally got time to swap out the original, beat-to-hell playfield on my Earthshaker with the brand new repro from CPR. While I'm restoring it, I was planning on having a local furniture shop repair/re-paint the original cabinet. However...it's in pretty bad shape. I think it might cost more to have it fixed than it would to buy a new reproduction cabinet that I've been seeing online lately.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on who to go with?

Thanks!
-Sonny

#2 1 year ago

cosmokramer makes new cabs.
Somewhat pricey to ship however, not HIS fault!

#3 1 year ago

Search for Kirk Weaver on facebook. He's out of Ohio and sells CNC cut cabinets.

#4 1 year ago

What do they cost...typically?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

What do they cost...typically?

I think Kirk's last for sale post on facebook was $800. I bet that doesn't include shipping.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I think Kirk's last for sale post on facebook was $800. I bet that doesn't include shipping.

It was $650 or best offer.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Search for Kirk Weaver on facebook. He's out of Ohio and sells CNC cut cabinets.

The famous Kirk from the container pinball sales? Not knocking him as the ones I bought were good .

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It was $650 or best offer.

My mistake. I was looking at a early bally ad.

The point is: folks interested, seek him out and figure it out.

#10 1 year ago

https://virtuapin.net/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwho7rBRDxARIsAJ5nhFoG5fUD3YXDKIRE2LE6ag857GjQ53D-H0s-iiS7igjKJHy0YzsiUxUaAqovEALw_wcB

Lots of customization options in terms of how finished you want it to be. I did a cabinet swap on WH2O last year and got a ribbon at Texas Pinball Festival for it. They are pretty pricey. I bought mine locally at a discount from someone that was no longer going to restore his game. This is where he got the cabinet, though.

#11 1 year ago

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations!

#12 1 year ago

HEP’s cabinet maker

#13 1 year ago

I did not see Data East cabinets.

10 months later
#14 3 months ago

Bumping this thread.
I started engaging with the folks at VirtuaPin a few months ago, but they ended up ghosting me. I tried reaching out to them again a few days ago, but nothing back so far.

SO...I'm looking for recommendations of repro cabinet makers again.

Has anyone had any experience with Let's Play Pinball? http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html

#15 3 months ago

Strip it with acetone, fill in the dings, holes, gouges and corners with bondo, or resin, sand, and you have a new cabinet. It's really simple to make an old cabinet look new again.

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from mitgrad93:

Bumping this thread.
I started engaging with the folks at VirtuaPin a few months ago, but they ended up ghosting me. I tried reaching out to them again a few days ago, but nothing back so far.
SO...I'm looking for recommendations of repro cabinet makers again.
Has anyone had any experience with Let's Play Pinball? http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html

They are no longer in business.

Quoted from yaksplat:

Strip it with acetone, fill in the dings, holes, gouges and corners with bondo, or resin, sand, and you have a new cabinet. It's really simple to make an old cabinet look new again.

If you want it done right, no, it is not that easy.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you want it done right, no, it is not that easy.

I'm curious as I've done them and In the process of two more. What's so hard? Unless it was dropped or completely trashed, all of the existing wood is still as good as the day it left the factory. Maybe clamping a corner? I don't know...

#18 3 months ago

Post up some pics of the cab so we can see how bad it is.

#19 3 months ago

I'll post a couple of pics when I can pull it out from the other machines and get a good look at it.

Besides the usual wear & tear, there's a fairly big gouge out of the side. They also drilled holes for the lock bar, which I would want to fill.

I considered doing it myself, but I just don't have the skills (or desire) to do this myself. I'd rather spend the time working on the playfield swap-out.

Plus, for just a little more than what it would cost a local person to patch it up (well, about 2x more), I could have a brand-new cabinet...one without a few layers of bondo, and 40 years of accumulated spilled beer stains in the bottom.

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm curious as I've done them and In the process of two more. What's so hard? Unless it was dropped or completely trashed, all of the existing wood is still as good as the day it left the factory. Maybe clamping a corner? I don't know...

You just make it sound like anyone can do it. You need the talent. You need the tools. You need the space. You need the time. Are you doing the inside also? What does your final result look like?

Most people that have done this type of work will tell you it's a shit ton of work. I know it was when I did them.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Are you doing the inside also? What does your final result look like?

I didn't take any pics of the inside, but it was done. I think it turned out good enough. All of the corners were shot, gouges in random places. The paint isn't perfect, but it was covered with radcals anyways.

IMG_20190907_225503 (resized).jpgIMG_20190908_125851 (resized).jpg

#22 3 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

They are no longer in business.

Damn...they did good work. What happened?

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from mitgrad93:

I'll post a couple of pics when I can pull it out from the other machines and get a good look at it.
Besides the usual wear & tear, there's a fairly big gouge out of the side. They also drilled holes for the lock bar, which I would want to fill.
I considered doing it myself, but I just don't have the skills (or desire) to do this myself. I'd rather spend the time working on the playfield swap-out.
Plus, for just a little more than what it would cost a local person to patch it up (well, about 2x more), I could have a brand-new cabinet...one without a few layers of bondo, and 40 years of accumulated spilled beer stains in the bottom.

If the corners have separated then maybe easier to find a donor cab. If the corners are good then I'd say to repair the one you have. Yes, it's a lot of work but can also be rewarding.

Here's two I've done:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-restoration
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-restomod

Are they B Kelly quality - Heck no but I made the best of what I had. Get a good sander, a bunch of sand paper and spend an afternoon going to town. I'm in Leander and would offer to help, just not sure when I'll have a free weekend with my daughter's Spring Softball season basically being a summer season now.

#24 3 months ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Damn...they did good work. What happened?

If you're thinking he meant VirtuaPin, we're still here!

#25 3 months ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

If you're thinking he meant VirtuaPin, we're still here!

#26 3 months ago

Quick update: Paul from VirtuaPin got back to me yesterday! I'll be sending him my old Earthshaker cabinet to use as a template. I'll post pics (likely sometime around Christmas or later) once I get the cabinet back.

#27 3 months ago
Quoted from mitgrad93:

Quick update: Paul from VirtuaPin got back to me yesterday! I'll be sending him my old Earthshaker cabinet to use as a template. I'll post pics (likely sometime around Christmas or later) once I get the cabinet back.

You will not be disappointed.

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Some people need new cabs.

Im restoring a funhouse that was flood damaged, the cab is so swollen you cant get the playfield out.

Hopefully Paul at virtuapin can build me a new one coming up, he's very behind due to Covid-19 business closures.

#29 3 months ago

Sounds like I should get into cabinet building. How much does a new one run if you don't mind me asking?

#30 3 months ago

Someone needs to make replacement cabinets for the 80s Bally games that were made out of particle board. Making ship flat kits or complete cabs would be a nice way to do it.

#31 3 months ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Sounds like I should get into cabinet building. How much does a new one run if you don't mind me asking?

I just paid $1325 and that includes shipping. That's for a TAF that will be fully painted and both warning text and patent text screened. Paul will make it most any way you want. Tell him what you want and he'll do it for you.

Here's the info.

https://virtuapin.net/

#32 3 months ago

I’ll echo Bryan and VP cabs. They do great work and I will use them again for anything I need. Had them do both a IJ and CV for me. Very happy.

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Someone needs to make replacement cabinets for the 80s Bally games that were made out of particle board. Making ship flat kits or complete cabs would be a nice way to do it.

VirtuaPin already builds a lot of the 80's Bally cabinets. The problem is, the value of the 80's games rarely justifies a new cabinet. For those that would like one from this era, either give me a call, or they'll be listed on the site in a few months, when we're all caught up.

Quoted from dmacy:

I’ll echo Bryan and VP cabs. They do great work and I will use them again for anything I need. Had them do both a IJ and CV for me. Very happy.

Please call us VirtuaPin. VP Cabs is a knockoff brand.

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

VirtuaPin already builds a lot of the 80's Bally cabinets. The problem is, the value of the 80's games rarely justifies a new cabinet. For those that would like one from this era, either give me a call, or they'll be listed on the site in a few months, when we're all caught up.

Please call us VirtuaPin. VP Cabs is a knockoff brand.

Ok, enough fun.

Now get back to work on my funhouse cabinet!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
1,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
3,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oviedo, FL
$ 50.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside