Stern Trace (resized).JPG
Image (resized).jpeg
2023-04-19_214251 (resized).jpg
Document_2023-04-19_214452 (resized).jpg
apron (resized).JPG
IMG_3119 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221205_122016318 (resized).jpg
1 - Apron (Powder Coated) (resized).jpg
There are 931 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.
#751 3 years ago

You know I had the apron all drawn in CAD a few years ago ready to start the ball rolling on manufacturing these. I approached the owner of the copyrighted artwork. Then it was announced on Pinside that someone else was going to make these so I backed off. I don't want to invest a bunch of money on tooling just to compete in a niche' market. Plus I don't really make much money at manufacturing repop pinball parts. It's a hobby to me.

Well it looks like I should have went ahead and made these myself if the production has stopped for some reason with tons of buyers looking for them.

I need a Fathom apron for a current project!

#752 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

You know I had the apron all drawn in CAD a few years ago ready to start the ball rolling on manufacturing these. I approached the owner of the copyrighted artwork. Then it was announced on Pinside that someone else was going to make these so I backed off. I don't want to invest a bunch of money on tooling just to compete in a niche' market. Plus I don't really make much money at manufacturing repop pinball parts. It's a hobby to me.
Well it looks like I should have went ahead and made these myself if the production has stopped for some reason with tons of buyers looking for them.

I need a Fathom too. Probably could use a second Centaur at some point down the road (or the owner of the machine might). And will be getting a EBD soon that will also need one.

I sure wish these were still manufactured.

#753 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

They never made the black apron for the 1984 EBD...would love to see you take over production and get those made along with the rest! Following...

#754 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Go for it. Nobody is stopping you.
Planetary pinball has all remaining stock, including Fathom. While you're there, you can inquire about getting a license to make aprons.
Best of luck to you.

#755 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Planetary pinball has all remaining stock, including Fathom. While you're there, you can inquire about getting a license to make aprons.
Best of luck to you.

To be fair you should officially say you're done with the apron business. Just so people know what to expect or not expect.

#756 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

To be fair you should officially say you're done with the apron business. Just so people know what to expect or not expect.

ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough in past posts. I, Brenna98 am no longer making aprons with merfeldma
We're not in the same geographic location anymore, so it doesn't make sense. Plus, I work for American Pinball now; which takes up most of my time.

That said, merfeldma can do whatever he wants; should he decide to make some aprons in the future.

ALL remaining stock of aprons is with http://www.planetarypinball.com/
Do Not send me a PM asking if I have stock; the answer is NO.

#757 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough in past posts. I, Brenna98 am no longer making aprons with merfeldma
We're not in the same geographic location anymore, so it doesn't make sense. Plus, I work for American Pinball now; which takes up most of my time.
That said, merfeldma can do whatever he wants; should he decide to make some aprons in the future.
ALL remaining stock of aprons is with http://www.planetarypinball.com/
Do Not send me a PM asking if I have stock; the answer is NO.

thank you for what you did make

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Best of luck to you.

You don't need a license to make the aprons or any other parts that do not include any copyrighted artwork.

#759 3 years ago

I think most post 70’s aprons, including EBD, Fathom and TAF have copyrighted content such as the Bally name logo. You can be sure PPS will enforce it.

#760 3 years ago

Gatecrasher I would love a few blanks or powder coated blanks

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I think most post 70’s aprons, including EBD, Fathom and TAF have copyrighted content such as the Bally name logo. You can be sure PPS will enforce it.

You can make all the aprons you want as long as you don't decorate them with copyrighted artwork.

1 week later
#762 3 years ago

So ... we are interested in getting more aprons with artwork into the world. We have the prints, and we have sources to make them, and possibly some tooling as well (needs to be checked). But, at this point the artwork is best applied somewhere near where they are made (likely Chicago Area), and that needs to be figured out. We can continue with Matt if interested or find another way. Currently we have some quality issues with some of the product that we have, so we need to get that sorted out first. Anyone with any ideas on this let us know.

#763 3 years ago

I really like the magnetic ones. Hope still one will come out with great original artwork for Creature of the Black lagoon.

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

So ... we are interested in getting more aprons with artwork into the world. We have the prints, and we have sources to make them, and possibly some tooling as well (needs to be checked). But, at this point the artwork is best applied somewhere near where they are made (likely Chicago Area), and that needs to be figured out. We can continue with Matt if interested or find another way. Currently we have some quality issues with some of the product that we have, so we need to get that sorted out first. Anyone with any ideas on this let us know.

I'd love to help out but these days, I don't want to have to work all that much.

#765 3 years ago

Rick, email sent. Short message to everyone, I would love to continue producing these lovely aprons which are stronger, more durable than the originals. Once Rick and I can figure out the logistics so I can bring more games out faster we can be back in business.

Quoted from PPS:

#766 3 years ago

It would be amazing if y’all could offer the shooter gauges for sale separate from the aprons instead of having to buy them as a combo. I only need the gauge and don’t wanna drop $119 for a gauge I need and an apron I don’t need.

#767 3 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

It would be amazing if y’all could offer the shooter gauges for sale separate from the aprons instead of having to buy them as a combo. I only need the gauge and don’t wanna drop $119 for a gauge I need and an apron I don’t need.

Sell the apron to offset cost iam sure it would sell!

#768 3 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Rick, email sent. Short message to everyone, I would love to continue producing these lovely aprons which are stronger, more durable than the originals. Once Rick and I can figure out the logistics so I can bring more games out faster we can be back in business.

Cheers to that. My Flash Gordon apron from Merf was a flawless work of art. I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade all my classic Bally aprons, starting with Future Spa.

#769 3 years ago

Bride of Pinbot would be awesome!

#770 3 years ago

Paragon please.

#771 3 years ago

I need a cftbl .
Operators who put their stickers in this location are a holes.

Is there a way to remove them without taking some of the artwork with it?
Previous attempts I’ve made have resulted in at least some damage.

0A30528D-2063-4B36-9607-1C9332A81E5E (resized).jpeg0A30528D-2063-4B36-9607-1C9332A81E5E (resized).jpeg
#772 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Sell the apron to offset cost iam sure it would sell!

We will certainly propose that as we get going on some additional stuff ...

#773 3 years ago

I'll raise my hand for Embryon!

(FWIW, I am a graphic designer by trade and would be willing to help re-create layouts if needed).

#774 3 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I need a cftbl .
Operators who put their stickers in this location are a holes.
Is there a way to remove them without taking some of the artwork with it?
Previous attempts I’ve made have resulted in at least some damage.[quoted image]

I believe that is a paper sticker from TNT. If so, smear peanut butter on it and let it sit a while. The oil will let you scrape the paper portion and some of the adhesive off. Then I'd switch to goo gone, the thicker gel version until you get all the adhesive removed. I don't see any reason to replace that apron if the the sticker is all that is bothering you.

1 month later
#775 3 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

So where did this land? PPS merfeldma

Still interested in blanks 5 years later

#776 3 years ago

+1 for Paragon pleeeeese.

#777 3 years ago

Following. Down for Viking like others.

#778 3 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Currently we have some quality issues with some of the product that we have, so we need to get that sorted out first. Anyone with any ideas on this let us know.

Since when did PPS become concerned about quality?

#779 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Since when did PPS become concerned about quality?

Since they learned that they could charge a fee to buyers to inspect items (i.e. Playfield Assurance) before sending out.

2 weeks later
#780 3 years ago

Also in for a Viking. Will follow this thread for updates.

#781 3 years ago

I'd love some old Bally aprons, I need 4 mil BC and Boomerang, but those aprons are used on lots of the early Bally's.
Thanks!
B

3 months later
#782 2 years ago

Bump…PPS any chance of a White Water apron reproduction?

1 month later
#783 2 years ago
Quoted from RusticatedBelt:

Bump…PPS any chance of a White Water apron reproduction?

I'm working with PPS on the details to do some aprons.

Ideally the first two would be Addams and Indiana Jones

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

I'm working with PPS on the details to do some aprons.
Ideally the first two would be Addams and Indiana Jones

I'd love to get a new TAF apron

#785 2 years ago

I too could use a Bally apron or two.

Four if you make the W I D E ones, too.

#786 2 years ago

The wide body bally aprons are really needed. Paragon, Future Spa and Embryon almost always need them.

#787 2 years ago

If we're taking votes - how about Classic Stern (I need Meteor)! Many Bally aprons have repro labels available that we can use in a pinch when refurbing those aprons, but no one is making the old Stern Electronics apron labels anymore. I'd be willing to buy a whole reproduction apron for Meteor if one was available.

#789 2 years ago

Classic sterns for sure are needed by lots of people right now

#790 2 years ago

Why do IJ when all you have to do is strip it, paint it black and put new decals on it? I would think you would want to do painted ones. Addams Family is an obvious good choice, IJ I just don’t get.

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Why do IJ when all you have to do is strip it, paint it black and put new decals on it? I would think you would want to do painted ones. Addams Family is an obvious good choice, IJ I just don’t get.

People prefer silk screened metal aprons, but will settle for an apron decal if they have no other choice.

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I need an ij apron, so it's partially because of that.

2 months later
#793 2 years ago

I need an EBD apron. Hope they make a bunch of Bally titles from this time frame as most of these need them.

#794 2 years ago

Now you can see why I won't waste my time making aprons. Too many people claiming they are going to make them but they never follow-through and leave everyone hanging. I wanted to buy some of them myself but I never could. There was always some excuse. Pretty lame.

I definitely won't be holding my breath waiting for PPS to ever follow through on anything they say. All talk no action.

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Now you can see why I won't waste my time making aprons. Too many people claiming they are going to make them but they never follow-through and leave everyone hanging. I wanted to buy some of them myself but I never could. There was always some excuse. Pretty lame.
I definitely won't be holding my breath waiting for PPS to ever follow through on anything they say. All talk no action.

This doesn't quite make sense. Wouldn't it make sense to make aprons since everyone else doesn't follow through?

#796 2 years ago

I've been looking into making screens for the games I'm restoring myself as it doesn't seem like these are getting made, I bought a couple extra aprons for my games so I can mess around with it. Anyone else do one off screens for their restore? How does HEP do it?
B

#797 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

No sarcasm meant, serious question......if you know "too many people claiming they are going to make them but they never follow-through and leave everyone hanging" then why would it be a "waste of time" for you to make them?

Big issue with aprons is that you need to be able to cut and bend metal and then paint them. Not to mention how many different styles of aprons were made over the years.

#798 2 years ago

I believe HEP airbrushes flaws on aprons.

Vote for Embryon and Paragon.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I believe HEP airbrushes flaws on aprons.
Vote for Embryon and Paragon.

Man, you'd have to have a pinstripers hand to do those early Bally aprons, don't think I have that in me!
B

#800 2 years ago

Hope this helps

2B1CDAF3-C3C9-4D8A-9A90-1D03C92F767F (resized).png2B1CDAF3-C3C9-4D8A-9A90-1D03C92F767F (resized).png
There are 931 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons/page/16?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.