2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    SideArtNoScan.pdf (PDF preview)
    image0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

On a Chicago Coin Bullseye 1967. This side art is about 38" long and 8" high, screen printed on cardboard.
    I'll scan it and redraw it.

Thoughts on reproducing this?

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

Scan it in sections, stitch the images back together in photoshop, and then redraw it.

Easier said than done, but that's usually the basic prep work.

For printing, a roll of banner paper would probably work--then glue it to cardboard using an aerosol glue (spray lightly or the glue will seep through the paper--I would practice first). Or, ask a print shop to print it. Depending on the type of print shop, they may be able to print it on a sheet of stiff plastic. I'm not sure if print shops really do cardboard. Most are geared toward signage, so they should have stiff plastic.

#3 2 years ago

Seems like a worthy project to tackle. It appears you could just scan a single section, draw that pattern, and repeat it to form the entire banner, then change flag colors, etc. Can't wait to see the result!

4 weeks later
    #4 2 years ago

I'm going with ForceFlow 's approach. I scanned it, redrew the art in Inkscape, and got it printed on 3mil vinyl. It is adhesive-backed and I will attach it to illustration board I cut to size. Colours were obtained with my Nix scanner.

Once I got into it I found that the flags all had their own individual shape so I redrew them all separately.

May attach with double-sided tape or spray adhesive, I don't really want to staple it on like it was done originally.

Only cost $60 Canadian with tax to get it printed (3 copies of the art fit on the material, one extra just in case I mess something up).

Attached a PDF in case anyone else needs it.

SideArtNoScan.pdfSideArtNoScan.pdf

#5 2 years ago

If you don't mind spending a little cash. Go to a one day sign shop. They can print it on sign vinyl, which you can apply with slightly soapy water (1 drop per spray bottle) and a plastic squeegee directly to the cabinet. Only draw back long term, is the vinyl can tear. But paper tears worse.

Some sign shops can print directly to a sub striate like thin, .040 or .063 aluminum, which would be more durable on the game. But I would go with vinyl and keep the print file in case of a large tear or scrape down the road.

#6 2 years ago

Colours could be improved but overall looks nice…lighting makes it look a bit funky.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproducing-vintage-side-art and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.