New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 86336)

Repro Playfield or Touchup - Bride of Pinbot

By dieseldogpi

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Det_Deckard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140403_062807.jpg
20140403_062851.jpg
20140403_062845.jpg
20140403_062827.jpg
20140403_062800.jpg
20140403_062820.jpg

#1 6 years ago

With the recent re-assurance of the repro BoP playfields being produced, I am torn between buying a repro or having my original touched up and cleared. This is a machine that will not leave collection, for numerous reasons beyond just pinball related, I don't care about resale or what a collector would think. My concern really is longevity and playability. I am at the point in this process where the playfield is just about empty on top and I don't want to go any further until I make this decision. The original playfield is not diamond plate, it has pretty bad gray discoloration, some wear spots here and there, and slight lifting of the inserts (hard to tell). Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. Cost comparisons? Durability comparisons? This will be my first swap/touch up, so I really have no idea what to expect. Thanks!
20140403_062800.jpg
20140403_062807.jpg
20140403_062820.jpg
20140403_062827.jpg
20140403_062845.jpg
20140403_062851.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Just those 3 wear spots? I would think this would be a prime candidate for restoration. If you decide to replace you should be able to sell this.

#3 6 years ago

Looks great

restore it by a professional

you can check my bride at www.freaktech.at

what a professional could do

#4 6 years ago

I figured it would be able to be touched up...I know its not THAT bad, but how do the touchups and the clear coat hold up? Theres a couple of spots where its worn, but not down to the wood. I would imagine with the discoloring of the gray spots, all of the gray would need to be painted, so its not just a little area. Again, I have no clue on any of this, just trying to get informed.

#5 6 years ago

That would be an easy restore for someone who knows what they are doing. I did mine a couple months ago and it was WAY worse that that. (and I don't know what I am doing) As far as I know there aren't really any repros around. Just looked at another playfield restore thread and you could get that playfield back to perfection for under $1000.

Pictures of my BoP playfield are buried in this thread someplace.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-restoration-thread/page/5

#6 6 years ago

Towards the bottom of the linked thread, rick from PPS speaks to the fact that the process is moving along. So eventually there will be ones available. I'm not sure of the manufacturer though, is it there first go at repro playfields? Then there are other concerns raised. I have concerns with touchups and clear coat as well. How does the clear coat hold up over time?

#7 6 years ago

Touch up and clear coat holds up well if you get someone reputable to do it. There are people who have 20 plus years on the old touch up / Varathan process. Automotive clear coat holds up even better. PPS won't have anything for at least a year at best if the past playfields are any indication. They may rush it due to the sudden interest in BoP because of the Dutch Pinball 2.0 project.

I would take an original restored playfield now over a reproduction playfield in the distant future, anyday.

#8 6 years ago

I think CPR might be doing the playfields. But there is nothing on their site about it.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

...I would take an original restored playfield now over a reproduction playfield in the distant future, anyday.

Very true...

I thought I was hearing issues with yellowing of the clear coat? I could be imagining. I wish I could do it myself and do as good of a job as you Brad, but I have negative artistic skills...things get worse when I touch them . Any suggestions on professionals?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I think CPR might be doing the playfields. But there is nothing on their site about it.

I thought it was a company in Germany...The company that had started the process a while back. I didn't link the thread where Rick mentions it, but it is the BOP Overlay thread that is active now.

#11 6 years ago

I would look at the playfield restoration threads and start PMing people. Some of the really good guys are backed up a few months, so if that is an issue for you, you can shop until you find someone with a quicker turn around and then look at some of their work. You have some pretty good pictures of your playfield condition and I think they could give you a pretty good estimate of cost.

There are a few restoration guys in this thread.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refurbished-clear-coated-playfields-for-sale

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from dieseldogpi:

I thought it was a company in Germany...The company that had started the process a while back. I didn't link the thread where Rick mentions it, but it is the BOP Overlay thread that is active now.

You are right. I totally forgot about the guys in Germany doing this. I was on their list years ago and then it never happened. I finally got tired of looking at my pathetic playfield (and machine) and fixed it over Christmas in the hopes my 2.0 would show up by now.

It looks like the playfields are still few months out though. PPS says "5 weeks to screening", a few weeks in screening, a few weeks in clear coating, a few weeks for curing. Find the right restoration guy and you will have it sooner.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

It looks like the playfields are still few months out though. PPS says "5 weeks to screening", a few weeks in screening, a few weeks in clear coating, a few weeks for curing. Find the right restoration guy and you will have it sooner.

Yeah, plus after reading that thread you linked, it seems like getting a repro is no guarantee of it being perfect.

1 year later
#14 5 years ago

Let me know if you find it cheaper. I haven't so far, either.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Keller, TX
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside