8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wizzardz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2536_(Large).JPG
    IMG_2534_(Large).JPG
    IMG_2533_(Large).JPG

#1 8 years ago

I bought a new set of plastics for the bad wizard!, and was a bit disappointed with the results. So I'm just wondering what experience others have had with repro plastics.

My first problem is with the coloring. Note the original has an orange color throughout the design that seems to have simply been substituted with red in the repro.

The other issue is with the stand-offs. It seems none of the new plastics come with the metal stand-offs. While substituting with posts might seem the easy approach, the Wizard actually has a stacked set of narrow plastics along the left lane. Substituting posts for the stand-offs would interfere with the lane as the posts are wider than the stand-offs.

Replacing the stand-offs from the old plastics to the new are a bit difficult as the stand-offs appear melted into the original plastics.

Have others seen plastics that differ so much in coloring? What have others done with the stand-offs? Any tips and/or tricks would be appreciated.

IMG_2533_(Large).JPG IMG_2534_(Large).JPG IMG_2536_(Large).JPG

#2 8 years ago

I think you can use a solderiron to "melt" the standoffs into the plastic. Check youtube, there is a video of a guy doing it...

And yes I've seen crappy quality repros...and good ones too..

#3 8 years ago

The repro plastics I've bought never seem to match the original colors very well. I ended up leaving the original plastic underneath the new repro to keep the color matching.

#4 8 years ago

Just like tomdotcom said, check out the youtube tutorial on this. It's pretty easy to do, but sometimes I've found depending on the size of hole in the new plastic I've had to ream the hole a bit bigger on the plastic so the stand-off "snaps" into place easier. If you can, practice on a junk plastic until you get the hang of it.

Sorry I can't post the link to this procedure, we can't see youtube here at work

#5 8 years ago

I bought a Swords of Fury set from CPR. The colors are a bit different, particularly the purple, but it still looks way better than the old beat up plastics that were on my game. Your situation is a little different. I'd be pretty annoyed by that change from orange to red. I wonder why they did that.

#6 8 years ago

I was unhappy when I purchased a plastic from (no names) & it was a completely different colour than the original. The part in question was a plastic for Fish Tales.

#7 8 years ago

I could do better colour matching using MS Paint.

#8 8 years ago

color matching is always a bit of a crap shoot, especially when you're trying to match really old plastics, and have to guess at what color it was supposed to be before it faded/yellowed/etc'ed

In that case though, it looks like they just screwed up, and used the same color for both the red and orange parts, instead of using a different color for the orange.

#9 8 years ago

I've been shafted by repros as well. I wish sellers would at least state they were reproductions. I've just ordered a 3rd set of slingshot plastics hoping they're at least a little better than the last ones.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I wish sellers would at least state they were reproductions.

These were labeled as repro, and even have the Bally official licensed product hologram on the bag (a repro as well?). I'm sure only a limited number of shops make these things...it just disappointing to see such liberties taken with design and color.

#11 8 years ago

I bought a new set of plastics from The Pinball Resource for my Joker Poker and they look great.

I don't blame you for being disappointed. I would be as well.

#12 8 years ago

I find replacement plastics a crapshoot. A few times I've gotten some with colors off and even some with mounting hole locations off, to the point where I've had to slot or relocate the holes to get the plastic located correctly.

My biggest peeve is getting a repro plastic and finding instead of the original screening with solid colors, you get what looks like it was printed with a printer, with the "newspaper dot" look to the artwork.

#13 8 years ago

Where did you buy your set? I'm restoring a Wizard! and while all my plastics are in tact, they are yellowed and I was contemplating getting a repop. But if that's the result in color match I'll stay with what I got.

#14 8 years ago

found the video.. 18 seconds.. looks simple enough

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Where did you buy your set? I'm restoring a Wizard! and while all my plastics are in tact, they are yellowed and I was contemplating getting a repop. But if that's the result in color match I'll stay with what I got

I got them from Marco, but I beleive they are simply resellers for CPR. Those I've seen at all the usual places use the same pictures that show the lack of orange, and have all the extra bits. I suspect if you find a set minus the the extra bits and shows orange, it may be used/NOS or a different repro - but I haven't seen another.

I emailed CPR about it and they offered this reply. Ultimately I'm not sure I've ever seen an original set minus the orange.

----------------------------------------

"There were a few post-debates (after the run was done) about the orange being present or not. No, we did not have an orange layer. The artist did the artwork as he saw the pieces donated by one of the higher-profile pinball guys in the hobby. They was no orange on them, and looked exactly like we present on the reproductions. No going back now, but we see the orange on other original sets as pointed out in pictures and such. We all went back and analyzed the original scans, and there was no orange. So looks like there were different sets out there. Would have done orange if it was presented to us that way, but we print what the artists give us, after they spend 100-200 hours redrawing these sets. They never tend to miss anything, and in this case the artist didn't (based on what he was given to match).

If you must have orange, then nothing much we can do to help you, unfortunately. But over half (100+ of 200 sets) have sold since release, so far."

----------------------------------------------

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 269.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside