(Topic ID: 171701)

Repro or NOS playfield install for pros only?

By mtbpinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SmartSelectImage_2016-10-22-12-27-22 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cogito.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

Another playfield swap amateur chiming in here. The very first project I undertook in pinball was a complete restoration of my TZ, including a playfield swap. I still plan to document the whole endeavour in a thread one of these days. I can confirm the previous posts: If you have the time, take lots of pictures, have decent tools, and read up on stuff you're unsure about, swapping your playfield yourself is a very rewarding experience. The two necessities I think are worth stressing additionally are space, and organizational skills.

If you have the space to lay-out the components that you're taking off the old playfield for instance, thereby creating a sort of live exploded view, putting things back gets easier. For example, if you have to take off ramps, plastics and posts to get to the pop bumpers that you'd like to swap over to the new field, it helps to keep that ramp, its underlying plastic, and all the posts in their spatial relation to each other when they're off the old playfield. That way you won't mix up posts that might be slightly different lengths, which would for instance change the angle of your ramp when you put it on your new playfield. If you don't have the space, placing all the components that belong to one sub-assembly in its own zip-lock bag can also help preserve an overview of what goes where. But of course, pictures help whichever method you choose to keep organized.

I'd say give it a shot! It takes a lot of time, and a lot of money and space, but the knowledge you'll acquire is most definitely worth it! And hey, if you screw something up, just take it off the new playfield, check your pictures of the old situation carefully, and reassemble.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cogito.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repro-or-nos-playfield-install-for-pros-only?tu=cogito and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.