(Topic ID: 267091)

Repro El Dorado top arch track. They’re here!

By jasonspoint28

39 days ago

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by jasonspoint28
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200528_162823 (resized).jpg
IMG_2192 (resized).JPG
IMG_2199 (resized).JPG
IMG_2198 (resized).JPG
IMG_2200 (resized).JPG
IMG_2197 (resized).JPG
post sander (resized).jpg
sanding drum set (resized).jpg
IMG_2192 (resized).JPG
IMG_2191 (resized).JPG
20200130_105643 (resized).jpg
EFF782C2-DE38-4F4D-B9F8-B90FCAFBA77C (resized).jpeg
41F30378-3246-440C-8382-344DC7E343E6 (resized).jpeg
F1FDCE4A-6FE2-4199-801B-EE9B4F9CB8BF (resized).jpeg
A84EE3CB-ABE6-4ABA-B9BA-DF1B018F1888 (resized).jpeg
7182D90A-B51D-4AC0-BAF9-549200718314 (resized).jpeg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 16 days ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I'm on the list for a playfield also, any word how close he is to running these?

I’m afraid that I am not in the loop on this one.

#102 16 days ago
Quoted from mojonitro:

I'm still in for 2! Thank you for doing this!
Jim

You bet! It was fun.

#103 16 days ago

I’m not really sure why I’ve kept it on the DL so far, but the fabricator is Absolute Supply in Little Chute, WI. Chris has been great to work with, and their shipping is crazy fast-I got the samples the day after they were cut.

#104 15 days ago

Just for reference purposes, this is what you can normally expect to pull out of a typical project game.
Great work making this spare part available.

20200130_105643 (resized).jpg
#105 15 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Just for reference purposes, this is what you can normally expect to pull out of a typical project game.
[quoted image]

So.. with the new part.... we're looking for the smoothness of the curve?

#106 15 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

[quoted image]

Thanks jr! That arch has certainly seen better days.

#107 15 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

So.. with the new part.... we're looking for the smoothness of the curve?

That’s the main reason for the replacement. Hopefully, it looks nice too.

The new arch has a nice smooth curve that I tried to keep as true to an undamaged original that my micrometer and I could get. GSones put everything into an AutoCAD drawing for me, which made sure everything would come out the way it should.

Based on the sample parts I received, it appears as though the water jetting process leaves a slight jaggedness to curved edges. I’m thinking of clamping all 50 together when I get them and sanding them all smooth at one time. I would hate for these parts to go out and be put into machines without being prepped, causing damage to balls and playfields.

#108 14 days ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I’m thinking of clamping all 50 together when I get them and sanding them all smooth at one time. I would hate for these parts to go out and be put into machines without being prepped, causing damage to balls and playfields.

If you’re giving a choice, I would rather sand my own. You are taking a risk trying to clamp them all together and sanding them. One mistake while sanding equals 50. We are all grateful for what you have done so far. No need for you to anymore extra work.

#109 14 days ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

That’s the main reason for the replacement. Hopefully, it looks nice too.
The new arch has a nice smooth curve that I tried to keep as true to an undamaged original that my micrometer and I could get. GSones put everything into an AutoCAD drawing for me, which made sure everything would come out the way it should.
Based on the sample parts I received, it appears as though the water jetting process leaves a slight jaggedness to curved edges. I’m thinking of clamping all 50 together when I get them and sanding them all smooth at one time. I would hate for these parts to go out and be put into machines without being prepped, causing damage to balls and playfields.

any defects should be dealt with by the buyer. this way no one will blame you. they know what they are buying.

#110 14 days ago
Quoted from boilerman:

any defects should be dealt with by the buyer. this way no one will blame you. they know what they are buying.

I'm with Dave on this one. Spread the load and let us sand ourselves.

In my experience hand sanding a single unit is effective in cleaning up a rough edge. This would be a low stress approach that leaves little opportunity to over treat it.

#111 13 days ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I'm with Dave on this one. Spread the load and let us sand ourselves.
In my experience hand sanding a single unit is effective in cleaning up a rough edge. This would be a low stress approach that leaves little opportunity to over treat it.

The people have spoken! I will send them out unaltered. I may send along a note about sanding as a reminder.

Thanks for the input guys.

#112 13 days ago

Chris at Absolute has informed me that Friday is the production day! I will start sending out PM’s with payment info in the near future.

#113 13 days ago

Can I get in on 4 of these?

#114 13 days ago
Quoted from snextime:

Can I get in on 4 of these?

Holy smokes! Sure thing. I’m glad I ordered 50.

#115 13 days ago

I still in for one. Thanks for doing this.

#116 13 days ago
Quoted from Bee-barf:

I still in for one. Thanks for doing this.

You betcha!

#117 13 days ago

I would be interested in one.

#118 12 days ago

If still available, put me down for two.

#119 12 days ago
Quoted from DanT:

I would be interested in one.

Quoted from jrpinball:

If still available, put me down for two.

You guys are on the list.

I’m considering bumping the order up to 60 units. There aren’t going to be many leftovers.

#120 12 days ago

I'm still interested in 2, if you have me on your list. Thanks!

#121 12 days ago
Quoted from paulace:

I'm still interested in 2, if you have me on your list. Thanks!

Certainly!

#122 10 days ago

They're here! With 45 of these spoken for already, I was afraid that more requests would come in and I would have to tell them they were out of luck. Therefore, I went ahead and got another 10 made up right away. That means I should have about 15 extra parts on hand for late-comers.

I was hoping the finished product might have smoother edges than the samples I received, but these are still pretty rough around the edges (literally). Sanding the curve that the ball comes in contact with will be necessary to put them into use. It sounds like most Pinsiders want to do this themselves, but if you would want your part to come ready for action I could provide this service for an additional fee.

IMG_2191 (resized).JPGIMG_2192 (resized).JPG
#123 10 days ago

I will PM everyone on my list to discuss payment and shipping info, or if you want to save me some legwork, you can send me a PM with the info. I can send an invoice through PayPal as the primary option, but if that doesn't work for you, we can go another route.

Final cost on these was $4.83 a piece. I'm rounding that up to $5 a part (early retirement, here I come!). Shipping materials will be $1 per order. Shipping rates vary slightly based on location and number of pieces shipped, but I'm going to make it easy on myself and charge $6 per order.

Here's the breakdown
QTY.....Total Cost
1...…….$12
2...…...$17
3...…...$22
4...…...$27

I haven't looked into where everyone is located yet, so if you are outside of the lower 48 states, shipping will be more.
Also, if you want me to sand or polish the parts, that will also increase the price.

#124 10 days ago

let me know your paypal address and i will send you the funds ($17.00) for my 2

#126 10 days ago

Still a bargain

#127 10 days ago

When sending payment, it may help me to keep everyone straight if you note your Pinside username with your payment. Thanks everyone!

#128 9 days ago

Paypal sent, thanks for doing these Jason, much appreciated!

#129 9 days ago

Do you guys have recommendations for edge sanding? I know its a piece of cake for many of us, but for a lot of us its not something we do all the time. It would be nice if guys could check back to this tread for a guide on how to finish the part and get it ready for installation.

Here's what I did when I got the first sample:
First, I used a sanding wheel/flap disc in my Dremel tool to knock down the high spots. It was probably about 120 grit.
After that I wet sanded with 400 grit sandpaper.
That's about it. I tried to keep the edge square and flat, I didn't want it sharp like a knife point.

Any other suggestions, or better ways to go about it??

#130 9 days ago

1. Oscillating post sander (yea, i know few people have access to one).

or

2. Sanding drum(s) for your drill press or drill motor

post sander (resized).jpgsanding drum set (resized).jpg
#131 9 days ago

Yeah, I go the sanding drum on the drill press route....easy-peasey!

#132 9 days ago
Quoted from paulace:

Yeah, I go the sanding drum on the drill press route....easy-peasey!

That does sound like the way to go if you've got the set up.

Here's what I'm able to do:
Sanding drum with a cheap Dremel (pic 1)

It took about 5 minutes, but I got the edge nice and smooth. (pic 2)

100x better than unsanded. (pic 3)

IMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2200 (resized).JPG

IMG_2192 (resized).JPG
#133 9 days ago

For those of you who like shiny things, I attempted polishing the top side of the arch by wet sanding. Started with 400, then 500, 800, 1200, 2000.
Its far from a mirror finish, but its a good start.
Here's a polished arch on the left and an unpolished one on the right. Notice the reflection of my phone in the first pic, compared to the second.

IMG_2198 (resized).JPGIMG_2199 (resized).JPG
#134 8 days ago

Looks great!

#135 8 days ago

Thanks Paul. Are there better ways to polish the stainless? Took quite a bit of elbow grease to make it look halfway decent.

#136 7 days ago

Depends on how bad they are to start with. Polishing compound on a cloth wheel attached to a hand drill or drill press works pretty well - quicker than wet sanding if you have a bunch of them to do. For other pinball parts, I usually start with Mother's metal polish and steel wool, wipe it clean, then finish on a cloth wheel on my drill press. Works well for me.

#137 4 days ago

It arrived!

Thanks very much Jason!! I/we really appreciate all of your time & effort in making these.
20200528_162823 (resized).jpg

#138 4 days ago

You are very welcome! Let me know how it works for you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 8.40
2,125 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Apopka, FL
Wanted
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside