Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2499.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 10 years ago

The reprints have nothing to do with it (imo). This are the lines that sums it up:

He’s not surprised by the lack of interest. “A lot of people my age, who grew up collecting comics, are trying to sell their collections now,” says Maroney, who works in IT support for Piper Jaffray. “But there just aren’t any buyers anymore.”

“More and more of these types of collections are showing up for sale,” he says. “And they’re becoming more and more devalued. The prices are dropping.”

This is 100% related to anything 'collectable' - cards, books, toys, yes even pinball machines. Anyone who is amassing this crap with the intent of making money has to find a BUYER someday. What the internet or a book will tell you about the value of an item is irrelevant if you cant find someone to exchange money for it, and if you now find tons of people selling because "prices are up" it becomes even tougher to find a premium buyer.

A few years back, it was apparently comics. Years before that, i remember all sorts of trading cards being huge, right now i see it as pinball. These are all hobbies that ebb and flow like fads - if you time it right theres cash to be made. Time it wrong, there's loss. None of it has anything to do with reprints though, much like I dont see remakes causing this decline in 'value'.

Comics, cards, pinball machines, aren't built or printed to make the end purchaser money - sometimes it happens, but it's usually because of an oversight or some random happening where people realize a value where there was none before, not because these items appreciate. No, the reason these items were made was for the end user to enjoy them (for whatever reason) and to make the manufacturer the money.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

The one thing people seem to be forgetting when comparing the pinball market to beanie babies or comics is that pinballs inherently have intrinsic value in parts alone. Real wood, plenty of metal & copper wire e.t.c. Even if nobody wanted your pinball machine to actually restore or play there is still materials to be had from it (unlike comics, stamps, beanie babies, & keychains)

oh yes, so much value you could throw it all off a roof

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

More importantly, pinball machines are expensive to manufacture. Unlike baseball cards, comic books or beanie babies, they'll never be overproduced. Overproduction is what killed all three of those things. Last year, maybe 10k pins were built worldwide. in 1992, over 100k pins were built. Prices for pins will likely drop, but they won't drop like those other things.
    I put all my money in pogs. I've got a sealed box of pogpourri series 3 that's worth $100k!

Over production is a relative term and it's happened over and over in the pinball industry. Circus Voltaire was practically given away because of overproduction. Rapid Fire cabinets were shoehorned into a bunch of games. Even Transformers LE and Avengers LE you could say was overproduced - you can still buy NIB and likely will be able to for some time until the price drops even more.

Just because quantity is lower and price is higher vs. a comic book doesnt maen overproduction isn't likely.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reprints-of-comics-made-them-worthless?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.