Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2499.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 10 years ago

I would say it's good to look at comparisons but that you shouldn't read too much into it.

One thing that I think does carry over in the comparison is that when you start marketing an item as a "collector's item" it is less likely to be valuable. The true collectors items are usually things that nobody thought to collect, so they were destroyed, and it's hard to find original ones in good shape. Fabricated rarity never seems to have quite the same appeal.

#15 10 years ago

Yeah, the baseball cards and comics in the 80s and 90s, did some of the same things the pins are doing now. They were marketed as "collectors items", limited editions, mulitiple covers ("buy them all!"), etc. etc. My theory on it is that fabricated rarity doesn't create long term value. The problem with fabricated rarity is that the end consumer is almost always a collector that's going to treat the item with great care. So, as opposed to the pre-collector era where 5% of a run may retain near mint condition, now you have 95% of the run retaining near mint condition. In the short term it seems like the fabricated rarity drives up the price but in the long term the fabricated rarity almost never pans out the same as true rarity.

#26 10 years ago

Seems to me like the comic resurgence is with newer titles though, right? I've been reading Walking Dead, Fables, Kick Ass, Planetary, stuff like that. I like to buy the volumes instead of the single issues. I almost feel like its reverted back to people buying them to read them insead of a buch of hard core "collectors" who buy a copy to read, a copy to hold, all the different covers, etc. That menatilty of pushing "limited" versions to collectors always bothered me. It's just a marketing ploy. I don't like it with pins either. Jersey Jack sort of went that route by making the LE differences pretty much negligable.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

pinball machines, aren't built or printed to make the end purchaser money - .

I get what you meant, but LOL!

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballocks:

Reprints do not diminish the price of an original.
    Like any other collectable hobby, speculators always pee in the pool. The comic market is flooded right now, nothing more. Condition IS everything. Key issues will always demand more $$$$. I sold 3 Superman comics, vintage 1956, 7 yrs ago to buy my 200K home. (Should have kept the books, they have gone up, unlike the house.) I own 2 copies of Hulk 181, Wolverines 1st appearance, one is slabbed @ 9.8 & the other raw @ 9.4. A price of 8K for the later would be like selling me your NIB BBB for a C-note. FYI a graded CGC (slabbed) Hulk 181 in 9.9 sold for 100K, 6 months ago.
    The sky is not falling.

In those limited situations you're right, a reprint of some ultra-rare, iconic comic book is not going to devalue the original because almost everybody collecting that comic is in it for the rarity and the intangible factor of owning something like that. It's not for the story. Its not for the substantive content. With a pinball machine far more people are in it for the substantive content. A good deal of Midevil Madness's value is in the fact that people want to play it, not just have it. In fact, I'd venture to say most of the value is that people want to play it. When you increase the availability it almost certainly devalues the original because now people who value the playability more than the collectablility have another option. It doesn't, however, obliterate the value of the original. The original is always going to be worth more as long as it's in nice shape. That being said, less people are going to plunk down $15K for a NM original when they can have a brand new one for $8K. There are LOTS of people who will not pay much more than $8K for a Midevil Madness now and that necessarily devalues the originals to an extent. It doesn't destroy the value, just dents it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reprints-of-comics-made-them-worthless?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.