(Topic ID: 271691)

Report your Findings!!!

By JethroP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D87EA20-F222-4C11-9FB0-D49455E29215 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Many times I research these forums to try and find solutions to tech problems I am having. I find people who have reported a problem, and troubleshooting efforts, then the posting becomes a "cold case." There is no report of the outcome or solution to the problem. The reader is left without a solution to the initial posters problem.

Please, when you post a problem and get help with resolving the problem, please close out the posting with what it was that fixed the problem!

Post a problem. Post a solution. Thank you.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Many times I research these forums to try and find solutions to tech problems I am having. I find people who have reported a problem, and troubleshooting efforts, then the posting becomes a "cold case." There is no report of the outcome or solution to the problem. The reader is left without a solution to the initial posters problem.
    Please, when you post a problem and get help with resolving the problem, please close out the posting with what it was that fixed the problem!
    Post a problem. Post a solution. Thank you.

I totally agree. And its disrespectful to those who use their time to help others not doing that.

#3 3 years ago

Have you asked the question in each unresolved thread what was the solution? I do, sometimes people finally answer to some of them.

#4 3 years ago

Ironically it happens a lot in threads where the original posters last response is that they'll report their findings or they'll let us know how they go... but never do.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have you asked the question in each unresolved thread what was the solution? I do, sometimes people finally answer to some of them.

No I have not. Seems like the threads I am searching have ended years ago. I wouldn't expect anyone to remember the details of what they did to finally fix some problem after all that time elapsed. At least I wouldn't remember.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Ironically it happens a lot in threads where the original posters last response is that they'll report their findings or they'll let us know how they go... but never do.

....or their last response is more request for help.

#7 3 years ago

Also note that the OP can mark the thread as “resolved”.

2D87EA20-F222-4C11-9FB0-D49455E29215 (resized).jpeg2D87EA20-F222-4C11-9FB0-D49455E29215 (resized).jpeg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Also note that the OP can mark the thread as “resolved”.

Yes, but that doesn't help if the findings aren't disclosed.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yes, but that doesn't help if the findings aren't disclosed.

Agreed. The checkbox is not a replacement for sharing the final outcome. It is just an additional visual marker for the thread list.

#10 3 years ago

Also - Don't be afraid to post your solution to simple problems because you might think the really easy ones make you look stupid.
    We have all missed stupid, simple things at times. Those can be the best solutions to find here.
    "Oh, that's it!. Wow, can't believe I missed that, it's so easy!"

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

We have all missed stupid, simple things at times.

Damn I can't count how many times that happens to me, something goes wrong with my pin and get tunnel vision over what I think is happening and miss the obvious.

#12 3 years ago

Make "Solved" posts something recorded on the individual's header when posting: "Mr. Blah has 23 Solved issues!"

If you make it a competition for some perceived bragging rights, people will do it.

Don C.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Make "Solved" posts something recorded on the individual's header when posting: "Mr. Blah has 23 Solved issues!"
    If you make it a competition for some perceived bragging rights, people will do it.
    Don C.

Thats a really good idea! Tell robin about it!

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Damn I can't count how many times that happens to me, something goes wrong with my pin and get tunnel vision over what I think is happening and miss the obvious.

Yeah man, I know exactly what you mean. And its just not when it comes to fixing pinball machines, my mind works like that all the time. I always look for a much more complicated problem then it usually is.

1 month later
    #15 3 years ago

Did you end up figuring out the best way to resolve this?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/report-your-findings?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.