Report on WOZ LE's in the wild in NYC!

By pinaholic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

There are 3 WOZ LE 's in the NYC area that have been running trouble free for the past few weeks! They seemed o have ironed things out as far as light boards failing. Modern , Pioneers in Manhattan and Mugs Ale House in Brooklyn all have WOZ LE's running on V1.22 and they are playing just great. Aa far as I know, the WOZ LE at Jackbar is also performing well. Go check them out!
Pinaholic

#2 10 years ago

How are they earning?

#3 10 years ago

I'm on my way

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

How are they earning?

That's what I want to know, too

#5 10 years ago

Why would you have to add trouble free? That automatically makes me think they aren't trouble free.

#6 10 years ago

As with anything the early adopters usually are penalized as things get ironed out as production continues. I have been operating two for the past couple of months and it ranks as one of the highest maintenance pinball machines ever. Light boards fail are every other week. I see this slowing down as a large number of the boards have been replaced. The motor that controls the Dorthy captured door is another issue. I have replaced both on both machines. Disassembling the upper play-field on location is super fun.

#7 10 years ago

I had LED board issues, and early on, plenty of them. I ordered day 1, as I used to get my new Stern gmes from him and couldnt wait for Stern to have some competition because I thought they could do better. I also asked to get an early one, operating in NYC, I figured where better to test the game. Besides the LED boards, the only other real issue was screws falling out of flipper mechanisms, which they got pre- assembled, and a rubber for the upper right slinghot, not as much of a pita. The first board failure was #31 which meant disassembling the left upper playfield, and that was a pita, but lately the games have been operating practically trouble free. I am writing this to give the people who waited longer than me or are still waiting a little info and telling them that waiting patiently was probably easier than being part of the process of getting one early and practically working for JJP in troubleshooting and testing the game during the early failures. I was happy to help in the process, but already had my hands dirty from operating multiple games and getting pretty good at game maintainence. As usual, some pinsiders had to flip my intentions on me. The games all have been earning very well competed to most of my othe route games, but it also forced Stern to put out better earning games as well. A plus plus for me and the pinball community.
I hope to be rewarded with an early Hobbit to help them troubleshoot that game also. It was a rewarding experience for me and I would be happy to do it again. Anything for pinball and my fellow pinballer.
Peace and Love
Pinaholic

#8 10 years ago

I have to say, as frustrating and time-consuming as it has been for me in the last 6 weeks, I'm actually happy that things that have gone wrong with my machine have gone wrong early. I'm a newbie to the pinball ownership game, and the underside of the machine used to look like the cockpit panel of a 747. Now it looks that way to other people, and I find myself explaining how easy it all really is to diagnose many (not all!) problems. That's thanks in large part to the service and support of the JJP tech crew. They've not only taken care of me with every problem within 24 hours, but they patiently talked me through learning about my machine. One of my fears in buying my first NIB was all the money I'd have to pay to have somebody come over and fix it. I'm pretty confident now that with my small amount of knowledge and JJP's tech support, I can do it all myself.

#9 10 years ago

Ditto on the service, top notch! Thanks to all at team JJP, especially Ken who was very patient early on.
Allen

#10 10 years ago

I understand if you don't want to reveal exact earnings, but can you tell us how they are doing compared to other machines you have on route? I'm not an op, but just interested in that side of things.

#11 10 years ago

So yesterday I was at the pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. The technician there asked me what my opinion of the wizard of Oz was. He walked me over to the machine and took off the glass, and proceeded to point out very many concerning things.

The game had a manufacture date of June 13, 2013. Inside of the cabinet he had a pile of light boards, which he said had been replaced several times in various parts of the machine as they have failed. He then began to show me how they had wired in individual fuse holders on many of the light boards. He said that the design was poor, and not having a fuse on the boards was causing him all kinds of terrible issues.

He told me about the game being too dark to play, and people not being else see anything. He then showed me the lower playfield in between the slingshots, and pointed out a bunch of orange peel. For those of you who don't know orange peel is a term that we use in the automotive industry to describe small debits in a clear coat on the paint job of a car. He was remarking that the playfield clearcoat was so thin and low-quality that less than a few thousand place had already permanently damaged the coding on the field. He talked about screws in the game not being tightened, he talked about loose connections and loose wiring. He even showed me how the guide rails for the play glass where flimsy and bending.

I have got to see and play the game in many locations over the last year. Up until this point I would tell anyone that it is beyond doubt the highest quality and my machine I have ever seen. But what I have never done is talk to an actual operator and technician he works in them constantly and hear their own feedback. In the words of the actual technician at the pinball Hall of Fame, he said the machine was the biggest pile of trouble he has ever had to deal with. Ouch.

That all said, I am only repeating what was told to me. I am not an owner, and I'm not an operator. I am just someone who is very interested in the mall. I still think the machine is amazing, looks beautiful, and it's the beginning of many more big things to come.

#12 10 years ago

I know that the light board issue has been corrected with the updated design but I thought that the clear on WOZ is much thicker then other games? Looking at the shooter lane on my WOZ and the clear seems to be pretty thick.

#13 10 years ago

The rest of those things seem pretty known and dealt with apart from the clear coat wear. This pin must have had an awful lot of play on it but still I hope this is not common. Get mine in a couple weeks and it will have the new boards so not worried about that. Guess the clear coat worries me a little except to rank up as much play as the one at the PHOF it will probably take me a decade or so...

#14 10 years ago

I should be getting my WOZ standard in a few weeks and I must admit I am rather concerned. Apparently they have corrected the light board issue so that is good. Some people seem to be having problems with the monkey. Others with the strength (or lack of) of the flippers. I hope, I hope.

#15 10 years ago

Flipper strength is easily adjustable in the menu. I did have to up the castle flipper on my game two levels. Seems like the biggest issue with the monkey is on some game it needs adjustment to avoid hitting the door?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

So yesterday I was at the pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. The technician there asked me what my opinion of the wizard of Oz was. He walked me over to the machine and took off the glass, and proceeded to point out very many concerning things.
The game had a manufacture date of June 13, 2013. Inside of the cabinet he had a pile of light boards, which he said had been replaced several times in various parts of the machine as they have failed. He then began to show me how they had wired in individual fuse holders on many of the light boards. He said that the design was poor, and not having a fuse on the boards was causing him all kinds of terrible issues.
He told me about the game being too dark to play, and people not being else see anything. He then showed me the lower playfield in between the slingshots, and pointed out a bunch of orange peel. For those of you who don't know orange peel is a term that we use in the automotive industry to describe small debits in a clear coat on the paint job of a car. He was remarking that the playfield clearcoat was so thin and low-quality that less than a few thousand place had already permanently damaged the coding on the field. He talked about screws in the game not being tightened, he talked about loose connections and loose wiring. He even showed me how the guide rails for the play glass where flimsy and bending.
I have got to see and play the game in many locations over the last year. Up until this point I would tell anyone that it is beyond doubt the highest quality and my machine I have ever seen. But what I have never done is talk to an actual operator and technician he works in them constantly and hear their own feedback. In the words of the actual technician at the pinball Hall of Fame, he said the machine was the biggest pile of trouble he has ever had to deal with. Ouch.
That all said, I am only repeating what was told to me. I am not an owner, and I'm not an operator. I am just someone who is very interested in the mall. I still think the machine is amazing, looks beautiful, and it's the beginning of many more big things to come.

Funny that we heard two different stories from different "Hall of Fame" guys. I've played that one in Vegas (it's the reason I eventually bought one), and I played the one at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. I talked to the guy there who said there are machines that have to be cleaned every other day at his location, but he never touched WOZ, and he can't even imagine how many plays it had on it since there was a line pretty much throughout the summer (and he got his machine in March). The machine looked great for having a 5-figure number of plays on it and no waxing/cleaning maintenance. True, he had the initial problems with 3 light boards, and had to have the flipper posts worked on, but that was it. He told me it was a solid machine. The one in Vegas must be a lemon, but it's by no means the standard of quality for this machine.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The one in Vegas must be a lemon, but it's by no means the standard of quality for this machine.

Classic !

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Funny that we heard two different stories from different "Hall of Fame" guys. I've played that one in Vegas (it's the reason I eventually bought one), and I played the one at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. I talked to the guy there who said there are machines that have to be cleaned every other day at his location, but he never touched WOZ, and he can't even imagine how many plays it had on it since there was a line pretty much throughout the summer (and he got his machine in March). The machine looked great for having a 5-figure number of plays on it and no waxing/cleaning maintenance. True, he had the initial problems with 3 light boards, and had to have the flipper posts worked on, but that was it. He told me it was a solid machine. The one in Vegas must be a lemon, but it's by no means the standard of quality for this machine.

Did you ever ask the guys at Silverball about their Stern machines?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Did you ever ask the guys at Silverball about their Stern machines?

I was trying to be polite. It was Stern machines that got dirty quite frequently as I recall...particularly their Elvis machine. Why do you ask? Or are you the guy I talked to?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I was trying to be polite. It was Stern machines that got dirty quite frequently as I recall...particularly their Elvis machine. Why do you ask? Or are you the guy I talked to?

No, I don't work there, but I have been there a few times when they have gone on a Stern tirade.

#21 10 years ago

Zero issues for me! Blast to play. Received a month ago

#22 10 years ago

Early WOZ games (made before around mid-Sept) are known to be prone to light board issues. I haven't heard a single problem with any game made sine late Sept, and mine has been problem-free. The games being operated locally seem to be holding up well, per the OP's post.

#23 10 years ago

Doesn't Reciprocal on 11th and 1st Ave still have one too? I played it a couple weeks ago and it seemed to work great! I'm pretty sure Jon has posted that he's very happy with his as well. Lots of places to play the Wizard in the Big Apple, and it's nice to hear that they are all doing well! Love it!

#24 10 years ago

Yes, Jon has one at Jackbar. It has been pretty trouble free compared to his other games. He usually doesn't buy and operate Stern's games.

#25 10 years ago

The Jackbar WOZ just got a minor tune-up last night. Witch target sensitivity improved (it is a funny tiltable target with 2 normally-closed microswitches behind it), sensitivity of top sling below rollover lanes adjusted, timing of ball lock tweaked to release single balls. Pretty minor stuff; it plays great, as do the other WOZs I've played.

11 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/report-on-woz-les-in-the-wild-in-nyc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.