Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#683 5 years ago

Got an extra weekend wristband... $50 good?

Going once?

#705 5 years ago

....and just like that, *boom*. Over and done. Made C-Division finals but was edged out by the thinnest of margins on the last game (Space Shuttle). But hey, happy to have won the $200 for the effort.

Before I head out for a much-deserved beer and delicious lunch, this flood of thoughts must pour out...

Competitive pinball (specifically Pinburgh and big tournaments like it) is a legitimate high-energy, high-intensity sport. I've played a few local tournaments just for fun, but none have come close to anything like what I just experienced over the last 30 hours. It was a supreme test of sheer willpower: Thousands of tricky shots to make, knowing the right risks to take, evaluating each machine on the fly, constant blinking lights and loud noises, adrenaline levels spiked at maximum, and emotions running high as well. It was an epic deathmatch in which only five out of 840 people are going to win a divisional championship. As such, it is best to maintain realistic expectations... because A LOT of people are going home empty-handed.

For a non-competitive player, I'm fortunate to have advanced as far as I did. Pinburgh confirmed that I am a pretty good player after all, but certainly still a "wild talent" who gets too impatient and makes too many swings for the fence.

C-Division was a perfect placement for me. I encountered a mixture of other "wild talents" like myself mixed in with a few seasoned pros... and it was obvious which was which. The pros consistently made their shots and remained in control. Only the luckiest of us could hope to squeak by them in the finals... most didn't.

I am left wondering what will come next. Playing competitively requires a different perspective which has to be learned. Mindlessly flipping the ball around for fun doesn't win trophies. Nor does getting a high score if it took 100 games to achieve it. No, becoming a professional pinballer is a matter of mindfuless and consistency... especially consistency. A professional will be able to consistently earn very high scores, not merely once in a while. THAT is the dividing line between people like me and people like them.

It was fun to swing for the fence and land enough wins to put me in good company... some of whom have been coming to Pinburgh for many years. The next question is... has all of this changed my outlook? Do I want to push it to the next level?

Pinburgh was one of the best pinball experiences I've ever had. It was so DIFFICULT and so UNPREDICTABLE and so EPIC that nothing else compares. Truly on an island of one... and I think I'd like to return to this island again for another visit. So...

...time for a beer and perhaps a new game plan for 2019.

#717 5 years ago

Watching the semifinals and finals was a blast! UNBELIEVABLE skills on display and a nail-biter all the way to the finish... just wow!

My impressions:

Keith = master of drop catches and staying cool under pressure

Belsito = master of "impossible" flipper saves and manipulation

Andrei = master of continuous opportunity shots and flow

Cryss put up an excellent fight, but was the obvious underdog in this match. Nevertheless he was a strong jack of all trades & will probably return in even better shape next year.

Agreed a little more window dressing wouldn't hurt in terms of overall presentation: Medals, hosts, crowd engagement cams, etc. It'll come in time. Just a fantastic show overall in a perfect location with perfect weather and tons of walkable bars and restaurants. Really hard to nitpick this awesome show.

#727 5 years ago

BTW if you’re looking for sushi on your way home (if driving), stop by Yamato about 15 mins east of downtown.

I’ve eaten A LOT of sushi across North America on the pinball tour... and mighty Space Battleship Yamato serves up some unexpectedly high quality eats.

Gonna stay for a second drink and plate, come to think of it. *hic*

3 weeks later
    #774 5 years ago

So, eh, I guess the folks at Replay are a little backlogged? Haven't seen updates to IFPA stats for anyone yet, nor received email confirmation for prize money.

Anyone hear anything yet?

3 weeks later
    #809 5 years ago

Wow my position dropped 1000 places after adding Pinburgh C finals placement... ha! This is actually encouraging because it means the total number of pinball players has increased dramatically over the last year.

Glad to see the field is broadening. Viva le pinball!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.