Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanic:

Do I have time like 24 hours to make payment after registration or do i loose my spot if I dont pay immediately?
    I will come wit my son who is not a competitive player. So i am not sure to register him for tournement.
    Will there be other pinballs to play which are not in tournement?
    are all these arcade also ready to play during the 4 days of pinburgh?
    https://replayfx.org/games/arcade/

The hall traditionally has three main pieces... the arcade (open all the time).. the vendor section... and the pinburgh tournament area. The pinburgh tournament games will be limited to pinburgh use only until finals on Saturday. The arcade and vendor areas are available on all days. The arcade grows every year.. but was several hundred pins and forget how many arcades.

You will pay with a CC at time of registration.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Selling out in 1 minute = prices too low.
    Everyone seems to be envious of the esports prize pools, this is how you juice it up. Won't it be great to announce $1,000,000 in prizes one day? Just saying.

But if they increased the price by a dollar... we'd have entire states complain about how we are just lining the pockets of the top players

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from bstock:

participating players should have the ability to pre purchase in full (event and entry fee required) for the following year. This would allow the players who KNOW they are going to be there a chance to avoid the noon fiasco that we ran into.

This is counter to the feedback that lead to the ticket sale being moved LATER this year. The earlier the ticket sale date, the greater risk of 'unforseen issues' arising between when people decided to buy vs attending. Thus creating more strain/grief around refund policies

#160 6 years ago

Maybe in the future there needs to be a Pinburgh and a Pinburgh II.

Take advantage of having the hall for the full week... run Pinburgh I as the lower tier prize pool event with some sort of eligibility filter... run Pinburgh II on the following 3 days as the high tier prize pool event.. Or even take it as the 'first fills up, then fill the second...' I dunno.. take your pick of design intentions.

Running two events at different times may not be viable.. but maybe it's viable to run two back to back?

The question remains to be seen if the 'pinburgh player' can be drawn to the location without playing 'in pinburgh'... and if some alt form of tournament is enough to draw those other 400+ players into an event.

Based on my quick and dirty (aka not flawless) comparison of weblists... 37 names on the waitlist are top 300 IFPA players.. and 14 of the names are from the top 100 IFPA player ranks.

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The problem with this idea is, they need the time that they have at the beginning of the week for setup & testing (and I'm sure they'd prefer MORE time!) so there isn't really any time to run another event.
    Not to mention that everyone would want to be in 'the main one' whichever that is and not in the step-child version anyway.

On Point 1 - this depends on their booking window for the hall... maybe it can fit.. maybe not. But doing it once has to be easier than doing it twice. And there isn't another papa collection, so you can't run another major of the same type without alot more pins. Just throwing it out there as a way to increase capacity. It's done with all the papa side events...

On Point 2 - I think this depends on the player profile... and how you setup the event. Do we need to rehash so many threads about people so interesting in winning how far they'll go to sandbag, etc. Maybe Event II satisifies some of those people... maybe Event II satisifies the desire to 'expand the player base'.. or other ideas. You really have to set your goals to be able to setup the entry criteria that set up for that goal.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

To help secure my tickets for Pinburgh, since I had to use my cell Hot Spot and was certain it was going to lag out, I opened up notepad and had my credit card nunber, exp date, CVV, and IFPA numbers all ready. I then copied the CC number to the clipboard for quick pasting.

Just fyi ...Modern browsers can save this kind of stuff in auto-fill form features. Names, addresses, cc info, etc.

Also for showclix, once the ticket is in your cart, it should be secured until the transaction is complete or times out.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We would have to rent the Convention Center (keep in mind this is a full convention center and not a hotel ballroom) for two weeks to pull this off. At this stage it is not financially feasible to do that. It would also require us to take additional time off of our real world jobs to run the tournament which would probably be a non-starter for a lot of our key personnel.

Alas Scaling vertically is always going get harder and harder verse horizontally...

I mention the schedule fit or not because I didn’t know in what increments they’d let you schedule... and what portions. Surely there are options that allow you to have some of the facility but not all of it? And maybe allows more suitable time increments?

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I guess if you want to assure that the top players are in the tournament then you reserve x amount of spots and make tickets available to the top x finishers from the previous year's tournament first - say a month prior to when tickets go public. Whatever doesn't get purchased by top x players goes on sale to the public.

Bowen made it clear he’s very against such preferential allotments

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I really was not bagging

Well I'll give you a friendly tip... Telling people not to go because the games are 'tired' - would be taken as bagging on the quality of the product.

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

people want a reassurance that everyone has an equal chance to go after them

I think this is where you are adding in your own criteria... Being open to all is not the same thing as 'equal opportunity to buy'.

By that logic, events that charge more money for different players should also be excluded. Or how about a league that allowed returning players preference over new players? Or any system that didn't give everyone the same option at the same time. This 'equal chance to go after them' is a mantra born out of this scarcity around Pinburgh... not the genesis of requiring open events.

#257 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

When do you cross the line where it becomes open to all and not a special invite event?

When in doubt... try common sense first.

I can assure you... the vast majority of events are not telling everyone 'no, I can't take your name down until 12:00pm on the 13th... when everyone else can announce their interest too'. And this is also because the vast majority of events are not dealing with sellouts in minutes.

1 week later
    #266 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This may have already been answered. Is there an update on where we can pre-register on Wednesday?
    I get in early Wednesday morning. Are there any events going on then? For the locals, where is the best place to play a wide variety of games that opens early? Alcohol served is much preferred. Thank you

In years past this info would come out in the weeks before the show. Hopefully this year they will be a bit more consistent where they post info. Be sure to follow their Facebook pages.

#279 6 years ago
    Quoted from webejamn:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a pre-tournament and check-in like in previous years on the Wednesday? AT least I think there was in previous years.

dude.. at least read the last page of the thread.

4 weeks later
    #317 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

So have attendance numbers ever been posted for the past 3 shows? I have always been curious to see how much Replay has or hasn't grown since 2015.

That of course would be proprietary information - not public.

#320 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

How about just giving us the percentages?

That too.. is more info than most would like to give out. They've only said things like "we are happy with the turnout" and inferring things because they renewed their contract, etc.

2 months later
    #433 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Can't update the wait list if no one is dropping out....

Can update the list to show it's current as of a more recent point in time... (tho I believe they just updated this week)

#438 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

if no one has dropped out in the past month then the list would still be current at the most recent point in time, right meow... they arent going to ask people on the wait list if they are going to come if there is not a spot open for them. I think we are just seeing the desire for people to attend this event and not bow out.

You missed the point.

As a reader, you don't know if the list hasn't changed because there are no changes... or simply because they've been slow to update the page. Putting a update status on it, even if there are no changes, resolves that quandary.

Especially since the folks involved don't like setting expectations of frequency or deadlines... just 'it will be done before its needed'

#444 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

When nothing needs to change it doesn't get updated. It seems unnecessary to post "nothing has changed".

Yet... the public tells you otherwise by their uncertainty over if the page is 'current'. It's a simple communication problem that is created by the lack of confidence in the state of the information. You beat that by building confidence that what the users sees is current.

#478 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So do we get any chance to see how the game is setup before we play it? Just to see how tight the tilt is, and any setting changes. I don't want to have to tilt out the first ball in competition just to find out the tilt is crazy sensitive.

That's the beauty of the format and what you must learn to manage. And why insight and knowledge about the games is so valuable. Unless you've been playing there for years, its likely you'll see dozens of games you've never touched before... let alone know their playing state.

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Are we allowed to bring chairs to the tournament? If so, is common for people to bring chairs? Will we typically have enough time between rounds to go to a table and take a load off? Just concerned about my feet holding up for the duration of the tournament.

The playing area has been surrounded by tables and chairs around the sides and in the middle in recent years. Think hotel banquet hall tables/chairs. People have been bringing small tripod chairs, etc... but the aisles can be crowded. If people start bringing full on camping chairs... it's going to get messy and problematic. I know I saw 2-3 in prior years, and I don't know if staff did anything... but just do the math. A few hundred chairs = a lot of space.

#492 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I remember for finals they had seats for spectators in front of the stage. Will that be setup on Thursday and Friday?

We are all going on assumptions the layout will be similar to prior years.. so info is guestimates

The stage has a large gallery seating area in front of it. It's in the middle of the floor. If you can think of an H... the stage is the bar in the middle of the H. Then there are rows (the vertical bars of the H) flanking it on each side. epthegeek's photo shows it best. There are tables and chairs on the outside edges of both sides of the area... and the gallery seating in front of the stage.

Rule #1 of pinburg is... you don't get to move the chairs

Ppl used to grab chairs and move them into the aisles... this was a big headache and problem for them previously. Thus, people started coming up with their own chair solutions. But since, they've added more tables/chairs around the outside.

The key is resting inbetween rounds.

#494 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballonthemark:

Are we allowed to have Yoga mats or some kind of soft mat to stand on while we are playing in the competition or is that a disadvantage for other players?

People bring pads... but then should expect to move them in and out as they play.

1 week later
    #550 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So many games I don't know. Yes, THIS is what I will blame my poor performance on.

That's what made the first pinburg so awesome. Of course now after several years, many competitors have been exposed to most of the collection... plus we have lots of tips/hint tools around.. so not so many times anymore where the whole group is like.. 'I have no idea what I'm doing' moments

2 weeks later
    #757 5 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

Is there a link for what I need to do for prize money? I've searched around but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I qualified for B finals but lost in the first round. It was still a blast. So much pinball over a 4 day period, but I wanted more pinball when it was all said and done. I need to work on the older games cause some of those things just killed me.

I'd start here - https://www.replayfx.org/prizes/

1 month later
    #798 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

It seems strange that the Pinburgh folks have not paid the $1 per person IFPA entry fee. We all paid our admission a long time ago... ninjadoug

To do so first requires sorting out the results and player counts. Replay is also not just some dude with a envelope of cash. They have accounting, different people involved etc. So now that they finalized the ifpa submission... I’d wager a request went from minion 1... to minion 2 requesting them to pay ifpa $831. Now minion 2has to work out how to do that in their system. Cut a check, whatever.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.