Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

#80 6 years ago

I guess it depends on which side of the coin you fell on whether you see this as a good deed or not. I got 3 for me, my son and a buddy... so I see your actions as a good deed. But I will say for sure that there are dozens (if not hundreds) that got shut out and were trying frantically to get a ticket for themself without any help from others. I think these people won’t see you in the same positive light.
    I’m not trying to pick on you John, because I would have done the same thing. But certainly 2018 will go down as the year that pinburgh ticket sales reached the tipping point and I’d be very surprised if something doesn’t change for 2019. Demand is crazy high and if big name players end up not getting entry it will water down the A division and put a different light on the whole tournament, ultimately turning it into more of a public show instead of a premier tournament.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I didn't even start trying until after 11:15 and I only got 1 even though I know more people who were still trying to get one. If anyone has a problem with that, I guess they should find better friends like me.

I definitely want to be on Team LesManley next year... I’ll take every advantage I can get!!

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

But if they increased the price by a dollar... we'd have entire states complain about how we are just lining the pockets of the top players

Yeah, but it would free up a ton of slots when the Wisconsin ( ) contingent chooses to stay home!

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I have no doubt that 1,000 entries could be sold. The issue currently with expansion is logistics and skilled manpower.

Doug... Great explanation on the Pinball Profile podcast with Jeff Teolis about this. Thanks for all that you and the rest of the PAPA crew do to organize this. The logistics have to be out of this world, but I was glad to hear that you're looking at training additional staff (TD's and Techs) to hopefully expand even further in 2019.

I will echo the comments from Hilton earlier about hopefully something opens up for more rooms blocks. However, since the convention is already booked years in advance, it certainly hurts your bargaining power to negotiate with the hotel chains. It doesn't surprise me that you have so many cancel from the waitlist as they get closer. The reality of spending $1000-1500 (or even more) for a hotel for 3-4 nights is daunting for most.

#194 6 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:#dontreallycare

I don’t think people really care that level one can buy early. I don’t think people care if tickets are reserved for other certain players (past champions, top ranked players, etc). But I do think people care that they are led to believe (actually told) that everyone is in the same boat with regards to their chances to acquire a very high demand ticket. Rightfully so, people are skeptical that this is actually the case.

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

... This year we will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 techs roaming the floor.
    Last year we only had 6 dedicated Pinburgh techs and finals only uses up for of them (5 this year with the added division).

Doug, this number is simply awesome!! I'm suspecting this has something to do with the potential ramp up to a higher Pinburgh participant number in 2019, but even if not it's a testament to the dedication by you and the rest of the staff to make this the most awesome show and tournament in the country.

Thank you once again for everything you and the rest of your team do to make this happen. Problems arise and criticism abounds at times, but I hope you do realize just how happy you make so many people in this hobby.

#228 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Your suspicions would be correct.

Heard you talk about it on a recent podcast as well, so not just a wild guess. I got in for 2018 and with the increased number for 2019, I'm hopeful for the future as well. However, the demand for competitive pinball tournaments is skyrocketing.

Therefore, I'm advocating that we all start a new rule when it comes to Pinburgh...

Pinburgh fight club meme.jpgPinburgh fight club meme.jpg
    #242 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

1. Is there a way to have previous attendees get first chance at tickets? With the show adding spots each year, it still allows new attendees.
    5. Possibly use IFPA rankings for a block of tickets - As this is billed as the largest pinball tournament, it should have the top players. What if Keith Elwin or a Sharpe missed out? I'd have a hard time believing they'd be left out.

Josh Sharpe of IFPA has stated on numerous occasions that "open" tournaments that are eligible for IFPA points can NOT have a bias toward selection. Everyone has to have an equal shot to register (up to a limit which is allowable under IFPA rules). I don't think the pre-sale violates this because they were not for specific players, but instead for a random giveaway/promotional.

Now that IFPA is collecting money and pumping up prize pools, it's even more imperative to have open registration without any favoritism. This has been discussed on many many threads so no need to start a long debate here. But basically, if Pinburgh wants to participate with IFPA and distribute WPPR points, it should be following IFPA rules with regards to registration.

#248 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Circuit final, IFPA WC, and State championships are all examples of invite only tournaments. Distribution of WPPR points (or lack of) doesn't bother me. When looking to run a tournament, I want it to be a quality, fun event first. Let the WPPRs fall where they may.

Doug... Josh has already addressed this one. They are not invite only in the sense that the TD picks and chooses who he/she would want to play in the events or show any type of favoritism in the registration process. Everyone has a chance to play in those events by earning WPPR points to qualify them for the invite. Their yearly play is in effect the qualifying entries to these championship events. In fact, points earned at Pinburgh are among the largest if not THE largest throughout the year... so it definitely matters how the point distribution is handled.

I agree with your comment about “fun first” and I believe you would see very little loss of interest if you chose to not be IFPA sanctioned. I’m just pointing out that their will be a whole ‘nother mess IF you started inviting specific people that don’t have to go through the registration process. It will be a complete violation of IFPA rules and would disallow WPPR point distribution. It would be in a sense “the good old boys” club working to get points for those already highly ranked.

Unfortunately, the process isn’t transparent and probably never will be so we may never know for sure. But I trust Josh Sharpe ifpapinball to do the right thing and not sanction the event if he found out it didn’t meet IFPA rules in the future.

#252 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

What process are you referring to?

Sorry Doug, I have already overstated the point I was trying to make and realize this from yours and Black Knight's post. All I was trying to say is that you have a right to sell tickets to whomever you want as a private event, but if WPPR points are awarded, people want a reassurance that everyone has an equal chance to go after them. This is the case now, but some on here had proposed some changes in the future where invites get made to top players or returning players or players with the letter S in their name. It doesn't matter how it's done... once it's not open to everyone with the same chance, it's not fair to award WPPR points that enable players to compete for more of the IFPA money. My post was about proposed future changes as to the way tickets are handed out and not the current system.

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I think this is where you are adding in your own criteria... Being open to all is not the same thing as 'equal opportunity to buy'.
    By that logic, events that charge more money for different players should also be excluded. Or how about a league that allowed returning players preference over new players? Or any system that didn't give everyone the same option at the same time. This 'equal chance to go after them' is a mantra born out of this scarcity around Pinburgh... not the genesis of requiring open events.

I can assure you that the criteria I'm talking about is not my own and was sent to me by Josh Sharpe when asking about how to obtain WPPR points for local events. I just said equal chance to go after them (the available spots). If you have a 100 person event and invite 99 people by personal invitation only, and have 1 ticket available for purchase on the Internet, is that "open to all" according to the criteria you are going by since everyone in the world has access to that 1 ticket in theory? When do you cross the line where it becomes open to all and not a special invite event? I ask these questions with sincere curiosity because I live in a town with no pinball scene and would like to start up a local league in my basement. I want to be IFPA sanctioned and offer WPPR points and reached out to Josh and was told as long as I post the event on the IFPA calendar 30 days in advance, don't hand pick the participants, and meet some other basic criteria (I'm paraphrasing a bit), then I would be eligible for WPPR points for my league (once everyone has an established rating).

Really, I've gone down this rabbit hole way too much already. I can't wait to get to Pinburgh and get by butt kicked in D division again (or possibly E). I don't care if I win or lose, it's the most fun a person should be allowed to have and still be doing something legal. If there is an afterlife, I'm pretty sure it's filled with pinburgh banks and Bowen giving his wonderful talks on stage while we're waiting for something to happen!!

1 month later
    #292 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

6-8 spots, looks like the plan to delay ticket sales has paid off in less work for the staff handling cancellations.

I was thinking about this... and then I wondered how much revenue they made last year from cancellations that they might potentially lose this year. The cancellations get anywhere from 75% to 25% refund. Maybe the additional revenue from cancellations doesn’t offset the added work and headaches of having to contact waitlisters and shuffle down the list.

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

So, they didn't give refunds in the past?

No... they gave refunds in the past, similar to the refunds they give now. Starting at 75%, then 50%, and finally 25% as you get closer to tournament dates. Look at ReplayFX website for more details. But in the past, since registration was 8-9 months ahead of event, they had more refunds from people who registered but couldn’t make it for some reason.

This year, with registration being delayed the thought is that people are able to confirm their plans (vacation from work, travel budget, etc) and there will be less cancellations.

Personally, I think we’re also seeing another effect... the popularity of the event has grown through the roof so much this year that people just don’t want to miss it, so they don’t cancel and do everything in their power to attend.

2 months later
    #395 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Last year an announcement was made for those wishing to participate to report to the tourney desk. I believe those on wait list were giving priority over the walk ins.

There were plenty on the wait list at the tourney desk to fill the open spots. Quite a few on the waitlist did not get spots. Nobody was able to walk in.

3 weeks later
    #508 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I hope the chocolate stuff guy is there again. Best vendor on the mountain.

Do us all a favor and stop posting stuff like that. If you keep it up, everybody and their uncle is going to want to come to pinburgh and it will be nearly impossible to get an entry. Oh wait... nevermind...

1 week later
    #540 5 years ago

@ninjadoug... if we have our Pinburgh pass successfully purchased but haven’t yet bought the ReplayFX event pass ($100 I think), can we get this event pass at the early checkin on Wednesday at Harris Grill? Last year we could get the event pass at the Thursday morning checkin. Just wanted to make sure we could get them on Wed.

I typically hold off buying the event pass in the off chance that an emergency comes up and I can’t make it to Pittsburgh (making a waitlister very happy).

#560 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

"if a player who was present initially cannot be found during the play of the group, tournament officials must be notified promptly. That player will be allowed no more than 3 minutes to return. If he or she does not return, that player will receive a score of zero on each game. Each ball for that player will be plunged and left unplayed. Any player who has more than one such absence may be disqualified from the tournament."

This is one of my favorite ones and so glad they dictate that the player gets a score of zero on the game. I know I've played a few tough ones where 3 plunged balls might have a better score (by random action) than my 3 house balls where I did my best to gain control. Would totally suck to be beaten by a player with 3 plunged balls!!

1 week later
    #651 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'll be easy to recognize. I'm the middle aged guy with the expensive hobby...

My long lost twin!! Finally have a chance to find you...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018?tu=Pinzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.