Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 17.
    #251 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Unfortunately, the process isn’t transparent and probably never will be so we may never know for sure. But I trust Josh Sharpe ifpapinball to do the right thing and not sanction the event if he found out it didn’t meet IFPA rules in the future.

What process are you referring to?

#252 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

What process are you referring to?

Sorry Doug, I have already overstated the point I was trying to make and realize this from yours and Black Knight's post. All I was trying to say is that you have a right to sell tickets to whomever you want as a private event, but if WPPR points are awarded, people want a reassurance that everyone has an equal chance to go after them. This is the case now, but some on here had proposed some changes in the future where invites get made to top players or returning players or players with the letter S in their name. It doesn't matter how it's done... once it's not open to everyone with the same chance, it's not fair to award WPPR points that enable players to compete for more of the IFPA money. My post was about proposed future changes as to the way tickets are handed out and not the current system.

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

people want a reassurance that everyone has an equal chance to go after them

I think this is where you are adding in your own criteria... Being open to all is not the same thing as 'equal opportunity to buy'.

By that logic, events that charge more money for different players should also be excluded. Or how about a league that allowed returning players preference over new players? Or any system that didn't give everyone the same option at the same time. This 'equal chance to go after them' is a mantra born out of this scarcity around Pinburgh... not the genesis of requiring open events.

#254 6 years ago

Thanks for having the wait list updated.

I'm moving on up (humming Jeffersons theme song)

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I think this is where you are adding in your own criteria... Being open to all is not the same thing as 'equal opportunity to buy'.
    By that logic, events that charge more money for different players should also be excluded. Or how about a league that allowed returning players preference over new players? Or any system that didn't give everyone the same option at the same time. This 'equal chance to go after them' is a mantra born out of this scarcity around Pinburgh... not the genesis of requiring open events.

I can assure you that the criteria I'm talking about is not my own and was sent to me by Josh Sharpe when asking about how to obtain WPPR points for local events. I just said equal chance to go after them (the available spots). If you have a 100 person event and invite 99 people by personal invitation only, and have 1 ticket available for purchase on the Internet, is that "open to all" according to the criteria you are going by since everyone in the world has access to that 1 ticket in theory? When do you cross the line where it becomes open to all and not a special invite event? I ask these questions with sincere curiosity because I live in a town with no pinball scene and would like to start up a local league in my basement. I want to be IFPA sanctioned and offer WPPR points and reached out to Josh and was told as long as I post the event on the IFPA calendar 30 days in advance, don't hand pick the participants, and meet some other basic criteria (I'm paraphrasing a bit), then I would be eligible for WPPR points for my league (once everyone has an established rating).

Really, I've gone down this rabbit hole way too much already. I can't wait to get to Pinburgh and get by butt kicked in D division again (or possibly E). I don't care if I win or lose, it's the most fun a person should be allowed to have and still be doing something legal. If there is an afterlife, I'm pretty sure it's filled with pinburgh banks and Bowen giving his wonderful talks on stage while we're waiting for something to happen!!

#256 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

I live in a town with no pinball scene and would like to start up a local league in my basement.

Perfectly fine. If set up with the ifpa, you can even make it private. As long as it’s a league, it doesn’t even need to be open to the public.

If you’re having a tournament it needs to be open to the public. You can make your address private, but if someone contacts you to play, you have to let them to get wpprs. If you do this type of tournament with a private address (not displayed on the ifpa website), you can only have 4 of those a year. If you publically display your address, those are unlimited I believe.

#257 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

When do you cross the line where it becomes open to all and not a special invite event?

When in doubt... try common sense first.

I can assure you... the vast majority of events are not telling everyone 'no, I can't take your name down until 12:00pm on the 13th... when everyone else can announce their interest too'. And this is also because the vast majority of events are not dealing with sellouts in minutes.

#258 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing movement on the wait list. It has not moved since the initial update to remove duplicate names.

I have my ReplayFX tickets and a hotel room.... all I need now are the pinburgh entries! I will go regardless but I am hopeful that being among the first 60 on the wait list will get me into the tournament.

#259 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Looking forward to seeing movement on the wait list. It has not moved since the initial update to remove duplicate names.
    I have my ReplayFX tickets and a hotel room.... all I need now are the pinburgh entries! I will go regardless but I am hopeful that being among the first 60 on the wait list will get me into the tournament.

I think the last update was just the normal wait list position update. There are still a number of people on the wait list that are also on the player list, so you are probably a few position's higher on the wait list.

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I think the last update was just the normal wait list position update. There are still a number of people on the wait list that are also on the player list, so you are probably a few position's higher on the wait list.

This is my impression as well. I think some folks might have struck out at noon, put their names on the wait list, then succeeded in buying tix at 12:15. I like my chances given my current position. Good luck everyone. This will be my first pinburgh and I am stoked!

#261 6 years ago

In other show news:

Super MadNES will be performing at 3:30pm on Friday, July 27 at Replay FX 2018!

These guys are pretty awesome!

#262 6 years ago

There's an opportunity for NYC-Jersey area folks who were shut out:

I'm happy to formally announce the Jackbar - Pinburgh 2018 Ticket Giveaway ️!!!

Pinburgh is the world's largest pinball competition, with over 300 machines and 840 registered players! There's 160 cash prizes totaling over $100k throughout out all Divisions. With $15,000 being awarded for 1st place in the 'A' Division.

Jackbar has proudly purchased 2 tix to Pinburgh 2018 (July 26th - 29th, at the David L. Lawrence Convention center in Downtown Pittsburgh) to giveaway to 2 lucky players. As some of you know, the event's registration went live on Feb. 24th at 12PM, and sold out in 45 seconds, leaving over 450 people on the waitlist. And now's your chance to get in, courtesy of Jackbar!

HOW TO WIN:

2 machines at Jackbar will be in play, starting today Monday, March 12th, and carrying on until Sunday, July 8th. 'Aerosmith' and 'Game of Thrones' will be the games. The highest score on each of the two machines as of close of business on Sunday, July 8th, will be awarded a ticket. Pretty simple.

Current Highest scores will be displayed on each game's backglass. If you beat the score, take a picture (making sure to make it clear that it's Jackbar's machine), and alert the bartender to check the machine and verify.

Anyone who currently has a ticket, or is ranked in the Top 200 in the IFPA rankings (as of the date of this announcement) is ineligible to participate. One ticket per person.

Good Luck to everybody!!!

#263 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

In other show news:
    Super MadNES will be performing at 3:30pm on Friday, July 27 at Replay FX 2018!
    These guys are pretty awesome!

I like taking a load off occasionally, drink a Lager and just listen to the music. There was a band there the first year that was outstanding - I wish I knew who it was. I think I may have a video snippet of them performing

#264 6 years ago

Another musical act booked. 2d6 takes the music stage at 5:15pm on Friday, July 27 at Replay FX.

https://2d6music.bandcamp.com

1 week later
    #265 6 years ago

This may have already been answered. Is there an update on where we can pre-register on Wednesday?

I get in early Wednesday morning. Are there any events going on then? For the locals, where is the best place to play a wide variety of games that opens early? Alcohol served is much preferred. Thank you

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This may have already been answered. Is there an update on where we can pre-register on Wednesday?
    I get in early Wednesday morning. Are there any events going on then? For the locals, where is the best place to play a wide variety of games that opens early? Alcohol served is much preferred. Thank you

In years past this info would come out in the weeks before the show. Hopefully this year they will be a bit more consistent where they post info. Be sure to follow their Facebook pages.

#267 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Is there an update on where we can pre-register on Wednesday?

Last year I believe pre-registration was at Kickback Cafe in Lawrenceville and I think there may have been another location on the South Side. Possibly the local club house thing they have in the Flats.

Pittsburgh has weird amusement device laws. Places that serve alcohol are restricted to five coin operated devices at one tax level of like $100 per year. The moment you have six devices, all of your machines require a different tax stamp that costs $1000 a year. Including the five that would only be $100. This includes all coin op amusements, such as pool tables and jukeboxes as I understand it. There aren't a ton of places with more than 3-4 games for this reason.

Kickback is BYOB and then you pay them $5 or so per six pack. You can actually bring in liquor too for $5. They are a coffee shop so I think they open early. Other than that and a weird arcade downtown where most games are inexplicably set to four balls, I can't think of anywhere. Perhaps a local will swing by with better advice.

Pinburgh is the best run and most fun tournament I've ever been to. Everything moves along like clockwork. I'm truly in awe of, and very much thankful for, the work Doug, Mark, Bowen and all put into it. It very much shows. When the biggest complaint about your event is minor quibbles about the ticketing process from people angry they didn't get in, you know you're doing something right.

#268 6 years ago

Waiting like many others to see a waitlist / player list update. Perhaps after the first refund period expires at the end of March.

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This information will be finalized and presented as soon as our locations are confirmed. Last year there was confusion as the initial place that had agreed to host us for pre-reg had to be canceled near last-minute so we had to shuffle the schedule at the last minute.

I'm sure there will be at least 1 pre-Pinburgh tournament, but the PPL puts that together so I don't have any control over the scheduling of that.

#270 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Last year I believe pre-registration was at Kickback Cafe in Lawrenceville and I think there may have been another location on the South Side. Possibly the local club house thing they have in the Flats.

Our league clubhouse had to close as the building was sold to a developer who is going to tear it down

Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Pittsburgh has weird amusement device laws. Places that serve alcohol are restricted to five coin operated devices at one tax level of like $100 per year. The moment you have six devices, all of your machines require a different tax stamp that costs $1000 a year. Including the five that would only be $100. This includes all coin op amusements, such as pool tables and jukeboxes as I understand it. There aren't a ton of places with more than 3-4 games for this reason.

The license fee is $323 per pinball, per year (ouch). They actually just killed the arcade license fee (which was an additional $3200 per year if you had over 5 devices), so there's that

Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Other than that and a weird arcade downtown where most games are inexplicably set to four balls, I can't think of anywhere.

Ace's is all 5 ball games to the best of my knowledge.

#271 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Waiting like many others to see a waitlist / player list update. Perhaps after the first refund period expires at the end of March.

Last time I spoke with Mark about a week ago he said the list had been updated. I don't really keep an eye on it, as I'm not part of the ticketing process, but what makes you think it isn't up to date? Has it not changed?

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Last time I spoke with Mark about a week ago he said the list had been updated. I don't really keep an eye on it, as I'm not part of the ticketing process, but what makes you think it isn't up to date? Has it not changed?

It has been a couple weeks since the wait list was last updated. I'm not sure if there just hasn't been any movement from cancellations or not. There are a good number of people on the wait list that are already on the player list, so it would be nice to the two lists reconciled to allow a better sense on the true status of the wait list. Also, the player list is only up to 837 players, so it seems a few positions need to be filled yet.

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

It has been a couple weeks since the wait list was last updated. I'm not sure if there just hasn't been any movement from cancellations or not. There are a good number of people on the wait list that are already on the player list, so it would be nice to the two lists reconciled to allow a better sense on the true status of the wait list. Also, the player list is only up to 837 players, so it seems a few positions need to be filled yet.

We don't tend to eliminate 'duplicates' on the list because it may not even be a duplicate. Sure, you may see Bill Smith on the player list and Bill Smith on the wait list, but it may be a different Bill Smith. When the wait list gets to that person, they will receive an invite and most likely not respond, or relay that they already have a ticket, then they will be removed.

I'll see Mark this weekend and ask when the last time it was updated.

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Our league clubhouse had to close as the building was sold to a developer who is going to tear it down

Sorry to hear that, Doug. @ninjadoug
    Have you guys found a new location to move your league clubhouse?

#275 6 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Sorry to hear that, Doug. ninjadoug
    Have you guys found a new location to move your league clubhouse?

Possibly...

#276 6 years ago

Does anyone know if they've updated the waitlist?

#278 6 years ago

Does anyone know if there is going to be a pre-tournament and check-in like in previous years on the Wednesday? AT least I think there was in previous years.

#279 6 years ago
    Quoted from webejamn:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a pre-tournament and check-in like in previous years on the Wednesday? AT least I think there was in previous years.

dude.. at least read the last page of the thread.

#280 6 years ago
    Quoted from webejamn:

The pre-registration information will be finalized and presented as soon as our locations are confirmed.

I'm sure there will be at least 1 pre-Pinburgh tournament, but the PPL puts that together so I don't have any control over the scheduling of that.

#281 6 years ago

my bad, missed that post, 6 pages of reading, sorry.

#282 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

There are a good number of people on the wait list that are already on the player list, so it would be nice to the two lists reconciled to allow a better sense on the true status of the wait list.

For what it’s worth, there’s not a ton of duplicates. I’m at #71 and I only saw about 9 duplicate names on both lists in front of me through my unscientific comparison.

#283 6 years ago

Tomorrow is the last day to get a refund for Pinburgh tickets, so anyone that can't make it will probably apply for a refund, so hopefully we'll get a waitlist and player list update soon.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Tomorrow is the last day to get a refund for Pinburgh tickets, so anyone that can't make it will probably apply for a refund, so hopefully we'll get a waitlist and player list update soon.

For 75% refund.

Here's the timeline for refunds and amounts:
    75%: Sales Open – March 31
    50%: April 1 – May 31
    25%: June 1 – July 14

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

For 75% refund.
    Here's the timeline for refunds and amounts:
    75%: Sales Open – March 31
    50%: April 1 – May 31
    25%: June 1 – July 14

Thanks for the clarification, I intended to write that it was the last day for the first tier of refunds.

#286 5 years ago

I want to book my flights from Germany. Would like to have some information about pre-tournaments. If it is not planed yet, when was it past year? one weekend before or some days before?

#287 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanic:

I want to book my flights from Germany. Would like to have some information about pre-tournaments. If it is not planed yet, when was it past year? one weekend before or some days before?

There might have been others, but I know there was at least one the night before (Thursday). I can't remember the name of the place but it was where you pre-registered.

#288 5 years ago

ok thanks, so no need to arrive 1 weeknd before? . So will book tomorrow arrival Monday 23rd July

#289 5 years ago

I noticed today that there was a little movement on the wait list.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

I noticed today that there was a little movement on the wait list.

6-8 spots, looks like the plan to delay ticket sales has paid off in less work for the staff handling cancellations.

#291 5 years ago

Last year the podcast I cohost ran a promotional contest. We made 50 dollar game kits and sold them for $10. Using the serial numbers from the dollar in the kits we drew 2 numbers and awarded the two people $120 each, price of Pinburgh entry. We are doing them again.....

fullsizeoutput_136b (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_136b (resized).jpeg

#292 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

6-8 spots, looks like the plan to delay ticket sales has paid off in less work for the staff handling cancellations.

I was thinking about this... and then I wondered how much revenue they made last year from cancellations that they might potentially lose this year. The cancellations get anywhere from 75% to 25% refund. Maybe the additional revenue from cancellations doesn’t offset the added work and headaches of having to contact waitlisters and shuffle down the list.

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

I was thinking about this... and then I wondered how much revenue they made last year from cancellations that they might potentially lose this year. The cancellations get anywhere from 75% to 25% refund. Maybe the additional revenue from cancellations doesn’t offset the added work and headaches of having to contact waitlisters and shuffle down the list.

Good point, extra revenue from partial refunds likely to be much lower.

#294 5 years ago

So, they didn't give refunds in the past?

#295 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

So, they didn't give refunds in the past?

No... they gave refunds in the past, similar to the refunds they give now. Starting at 75%, then 50%, and finally 25% as you get closer to tournament dates. Look at ReplayFX website for more details. But in the past, since registration was 8-9 months ahead of event, they had more refunds from people who registered but couldn’t make it for some reason.

This year, with registration being delayed the thought is that people are able to confirm their plans (vacation from work, travel budget, etc) and there will be less cancellations.

Personally, I think we’re also seeing another effect... the popularity of the event has grown through the roof so much this year that people just don’t want to miss it, so they don’t cancel and do everything in their power to attend.

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Actually, I don’t know if they’ve processed cancellations into the waitlist or not. I think they may have just taken off the duplicate names from both lists. Just speculating, but that would be my guess.

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

Actually, I don’t know if they’ve processed cancellations into the waitlist or not. I think they may have just taken off the duplicate names from both lists. Just speculating, but that would be my guess.

There were a few cancellations that are in the process of being filled, so the waitlist has been adjusted.

We don't tend to eliminate 'duplicates' on the list because it may not even be a duplicate. Sure, you may see Bill Smith on the player list and Bill Smith on the wait list, but it may be a different Bill Smith. When the wait list gets to that person, they will receive an invite and most likely not respond, or relay that they already have a ticket, then they will be removed.

#298 5 years ago

I’m amused that Steve Martin and Jon Stewart are right together on the waitlist.

1 week later
    #299 5 years ago

Looks like the waitlist was updated again.

#300 5 years ago

Just 5 spots. Dang. Almost 200 to go.

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.