Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg
    There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
    #551 5 years ago

How much time is permitted for a player to read the instruction card and study the playfield before they have to plunge their ball? And is this only permitted before the first ball?

#552 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

How much time is permitted for a player to read the instruction card and study the playfield before they have to plunge their ball? And is this only permitted before the first ball?

all your rule needs here:
    https://papa.org/competitions/pinburgh/pinburgh-2018/#1526064835585-f2cf8520-882b

i think you get 2 min to plunge but i may be incorrect

#553 5 years ago

Official answers:
    You must start the round within 10 minutes of the announced start, or you can be disqualified.
    There is a 60 second intentional delay of game rule in the Papa Rulebook, you should review.

Real world answer:
    Don't worry too much about it. If you don't know the machine at the start of the round, no cramming is really going to help. Figure out 1 or 2 simple objectives, like get multi-ball or qualify a jackpot. Stick with those, and don't get fancy. The machines are set up way harder than you have ever played them, so odds of you getting through a lot of different scenarios are low. You will be thrashing a lot, so just keep it alive.

If this is your first Pinburgh, I'd apply that real world answer to about everything for the weekend. Don't worry about it, you aren't going to win, so just enjoy the experience.

Don't worry about all the intricacies of the tournament, it will all make sense when you are there. Just show up on time, wear good shoes, drink lots of water, and you'll have a great time.

#554 5 years ago

I couldn't find the answer.

I personally don't do this. I pretty much just plunge and try to figure things out as I play. This may not be to my advantage but I'm not into cramming before I play.

I've seen other players do this at tournaments, and was wondering how much time I give a player before I ask them as politely as possible to get a move on.

#556 5 years ago

Common rules of courtesy are fine. No one will pull out a stopwatch and call a TD on ya if you spend 70 seconds reviewing the instruction card and examining the playfield. But remember that there are 12 or 16 players on most banks, and all those players need to play at least 14 balls in the next two hours, so everyone needs to keep things moving along.

#557 5 years ago

https://papa.org/competitions/competition-rules/

5. Intentional Delays
    No player may delay their game for more than 60 seconds, except to await a ruling or resolution of an
    environmental inconvenience. Environmental inconvenience is defined as any condition which can reasonably be
    expected to be resolved quickly, such as unusual noise, lighting problems other than sunlight, or repairs to an
    immediately adjacent machine. No player may wait for more that 60 seconds from the end of the previous player’s
    turn to begin their turn. The first violation as witnessed by a Tournament Director will result in a warning. A second
    violation and all subsequent violations of this rule during a tournament will result in a score of zero on that game
    for the player.
    Intentional delay is defined as time when the player is intentionally making no progress towards in-game objectives,
    including but not limited to time during which the ball is left in the plunger lane, held on a flipper, or passed from
    one flipper to another. Stuck balls do not count as intentional delays. Holding one or more ball(s) while one or more
    ball(s) remain in play does not count as intentional delay.
    A player may not intentionally cause a ball search in order to activate any feature of the game. A player is permitted
    to wait a reasonable amount of time, as determined by the tournament director, for a tilt mechanism to settle.

Also see... https://papa.org/competitions/competition-rules/pinburgh-rules/

#558 5 years ago

there is a maximum of 3 minutes listed as well in the rules if you walk away from the machine (say to go to the bathroom) before it gets plunged.

page 18 from the link i posted earlier

"if a player who was present initially cannot be found during the play of the group, tournament officials must be notified promptly. That player will be allowed no more than 3 minutes to return. If he or she does not return, that player will receive a score of zero on each game. Each ball for that player will be plunged and left unplayed. Any player who has more than one such absence may be disqualified from the tournament."

so, just let someone know if you are going to go to the water fountain or something, just be courteous of all the other players and you should be fine.

#559 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

A player may not intentionally cause a ball search in order to activate any feature of the game.

I always love when I see something like this, because I KNOW some butthole came up with that strategy and used it in a tournament.

#560 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

"if a player who was present initially cannot be found during the play of the group, tournament officials must be notified promptly. That player will be allowed no more than 3 minutes to return. If he or she does not return, that player will receive a score of zero on each game. Each ball for that player will be plunged and left unplayed. Any player who has more than one such absence may be disqualified from the tournament."

This is one of my favorite ones and so glad they dictate that the player gets a score of zero on the game. I know I've played a few tough ones where 3 plunged balls might have a better score (by random action) than my 3 house balls where I did my best to gain control. Would totally suck to be beaten by a player with 3 plunged balls!!

#561 5 years ago

For those interested, I have updated my PinballSpinner bank site with game listings of the 2018 banks:

http://www.pinballspinner.com/pinburgh

Cross-link to Pinside Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballspinner-pinburgh-2018-bank-links-sponsored-by-dead-flip#post-4498704

#562 5 years ago

If anyone still looking for hotel. I have reserved 1 extra room which I can cancel at "Hilltop Inn 100 Kisow Dr" costs are USD 50,00 per night
    We could also share a rental car
    best is to contact me by message on facebook https://www.facebook.com/albert.medaillon

#563 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Am I the only one that noticed that the first game listed was Baywatch?
    I'm assuming this is just the regular version and not the Imamaculate version?

It better have less than 600 plays or I'm asking for a refund.

#564 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Don't worry about it, you aren't going to win, so just enjoy the experience.

This is my first Pinburgh and I’m totally going to win! Or at least I’m going to keep telling myself that up until I don’t win.

#565 5 years ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

For those interested, I have updated my PinballSpinner bank site with game listings of the 2018 banks:
    http://www.pinballspinner.com/pinburgh
    Cross-link to Pinside Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballspinner-pinburgh-2018-bank-links-sponsored-by-dead-flip#post-4498704

This is fantastic! Thank you for doing this.

#566 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This is my first Pinburgh and I’m totally going to win! Or at least I’m going to keep telling myself that up until I don’t win.

Dammit! Me too. I guess since you got dibs I'm cool with 2nd.

#567 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Dammit! Me too. I guess since you got dibs I'm cool with 2nd.

I thought someone already has dibs on second.

#568 5 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

I thought someone already has dibs on second.

I heard Josh Sharpe has dibs on 4th place

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I heard Josh Sharpe has dibs on 4th place

You never know. This could be the year Josh wins it all.

58517586-3671-4B71-BA4F-28C18D21FBB9 (resized).jpeg58517586-3671-4B71-BA4F-28C18D21FBB9 (resized).jpeg
    #570 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

You never know. This could be the year Josh wins it all.

I would pay the dollar to see that!

You figure it has to happen at some point.

#571 5 years ago

How about restaurant recommendations within walking distance of the convention center?

#572 5 years ago

Condado Taco.

#573 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

How about restaurant recommendations within walking distance of the convention center?

They are all perfectly average. There's a 4-5 block strip with a bunch of restaurants. The meatball place is ok. The thai place is ok. At the furthest reaches a few blocks out are a pizza place and a down and dirty chinese carryout. There's a taco joint I think. The worst place is the bar on the corner directly in front of the convo center, worst food and service and it's always crowded.

For late night your best/only option is Pimmenti bros (?) sandwich shop in market square.

#574 5 years ago

there is a pizza place like a block or two away that has the worst pizza ive every ate. so theres that.

#575 5 years ago

I always eat at Crystal On Penn. According to Google Maps it's a 6-8 minute walk from the convention center.

#576 5 years ago

The restaurant on the 2nd floor of the Westin (By the convention center) serves great breakfast and very generous portion sizes. The breakfast entree's are very tasty. I haven't sampled the lunch or dinner menu's though.

#578 5 years ago

what do you think the chances are if you were #300 on the waiting list for the main tourny. Then you show up on time for registration. Is it common for lots of people not to show up. I would think it would be. Unless you have to prepay to sign up.

#579 5 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

what do you think the chances are if you were #300 on the waiting list for the main tourny. Then you show up on time for registration.

zero

if youve been watching the wait list its hardly moved at all, with us a week away there is no way a significant number of people will drop out at this point. for any last minute drop outs, there will be people at pinburgh that could fill those spots, but if you are only 300 on the list, that is a shit ton of people who if showed up would fill those maybe 5 spots ahead of you on the waitlist... just seems like really long odds but more power to ya if you can make it work!

#580 5 years ago

People on the waitlist may not show up or checkin Thursday morning thus moving people up more. But at 300 that is a very tall order. I'd say no chance. Heck I'm in the 150's and thinking no chance as well to play.

#581 5 years ago

"We encourage all of Pinburgh's competitors, attendees, and live stream viewers, as well as general fans of PAPA and Replay FX, to use eBay the next time they need a pinball part or are looking to purchase a new machine. "

#582 5 years ago

Comet Pinball is happy to be sponsoring PapaTV and ReplayFX streaming this year!

We're also offering free, in-person pickup at the show for International orders. They'll be waiting for you at the Double Danger booth. Thanks @ddpinball!

(Orders must be placed by 4pm MST on Monday).

#583 5 years ago

I know every year is different but does anyone know how many waitlisters usually make it into the tournament? I have seen varying numbers on this.

#584 5 years ago
    Quoted from lnoelle:

I know every year is different but does anyone know how many waitlisters usually make it into the tournament? I have seen varying numbers on this.

Someone told me #40 or so made it in last year as a show-up-and-hope, and he was the last one.

I have no idea if this is actually true. You're welcome.

#585 5 years ago

zero
    if youve been watching the wait list its hardly moved at all, with us a week away there is no way a significant number of people will drop out at this point. for any last minute drop outs, there will be people at pinburgh that could fill those spots, but if you are only 300 on the list, that is a shit ton of people who if showed up would fill those maybe 5 spots ahead of you on the waitlist... just seems like really long odds but more power to ya if you can make it work!

I have been watching the wait list. And i dont think its even moved a spot in 3 months. Im pretty sure im the same number from when i initially got on the waitlist.

Which leads me to believe they arent updating it. And if the tournament is free to sign up for. And no obligation to cancel. Then id imagine a lot of people who just show up actually get in.

Think about it. Theres plenty of people who just signed up as just in case. And knew it was a long shot they were ever going to make the trip. Thats why i asked if you had to prepay for your spot on the list then that would be different. But if its free to hold a spot. Then i can see a lot of the people not showing. Thus a lot of walk ins making it in the tournament.

#586 5 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

I have been watching the wait list. And i dont think its even moved a spot in 3 months. Im pretty sure im the same number from when i initially got on the waitlist.
    Which leads me to believe they arent updating it. And if the tournament is free to sign up for. And no obligation to cancel. Then id imagine a lot of people who just show up actually get in.
    Think about it. Theres plenty of people who just signed up as just in case. And knew it was a long shot they were ever going to make the trip. Thats why i asked if you had to prepay for your spot on the list then that would be different. But if its free to hold a spot. Then i can see a lot of the people not showing. Thus a lot of walk ins making it in the tournament.

Maybe you forgot your initial number, but the wait list has moved probably about 40 spots since it started and now they have a date for the last update (latest is July 17).

#587 5 years ago

I had a friend wait listed who was seven beyond the #40 mark and he's now in, so it's definitely moved.

Funny enough, I know a couple people who have dropped out recently too.

So who knows at this point.

#588 5 years ago

Another newb question: Is each round against a different group of people? I’m assuming it is, but thought I’d ask.

(Disclaimer: some people are not that fun to play pinball with, so am I stuck with them, or are they gone in the next round.)

#589 5 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

But if its free to hold a spot. Then i can see a lot of the people not showing. Thus a lot of walk ins making it in the tournament.

Everyone on the list paid $100...and were serious enough that they were refreshing their browser within seconds of the tickets going on sale. I'd bet there will be less no-shows this year than in the past.

Not trying to be pessimistic, but I'd be shocked if there were more than 40 no-shows. (And pinning your hopes on 300, or 100 is unrealistic, and without precedent...even when the tickets were easier to come by).

#590 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Another newb question: Is each round against a different group of people? I’m assuming it is, but thought I’d ask.

Each round is different players. You'd play four games with your group, and then they're gone. It's possible you could end up playing one of them again in a future group (because groups are formed automatically based on standings at the end of each round), but I don't believe it's happened to me in any of my three Pinburghs.

#591 5 years ago

Thanks! And that just means more of you have the opportunity to play pinball with me

#592 5 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

Doug has been telling us when its been updated and added a updated date on the site and Pinburgh is most assuredly not free as Ryan mentioned. Most people are "pot committed" at this point with a pinburgh ticket, a replayfx ticket and most likely travel plans including air fare and hotel reservations.

#593 5 years ago

For anyone here who doesn't check Tilt

From KME

"FYI Iron maiden code that will be running at Pinburgh will have the following changes from the current 1.02.

Aces High - fixed an issue where destroying the 2nd bomber during the grace period will start a roving shot in the mode that never ends for all players
    Aces High - initial jackpot scores are boosted by 500K
    Aces High - fixed a display issue where the playfield multiplier was being applied to the base value instead of the total (no effect on final scoring)
    Aces High - fixed a display issue where jackpot scoring equation would not be correct after first Super Jackpot (no effect on final scoring)
    Soul Shard - fixed an issue where the Tomb Award would not light after spotting a random Soul Shard through Mystery Orb Level 3 (after 2 Minutes to Midnight)
    Trooper Multiball - added missing Beast 1x Jackpot callouts
    Trooper Multiball - boosted volumes of selected trooper speech
    Cyborg Multiball - fixed an issue with the ‘Showtime’ speech was getting called when you drain into lighting Cyborg Multiball
    2 Minutes to Midnight - changed background font color to red for more contrast
    Mode Totals - fixed an issue where mode totals were excluding the values of shots made in the grace period
    Eddie Cards - Trooper Level 2 card is easier, can now be collected by making any 5x Jackpot shot OR lighting all shots for 3x Jackpot
    Revive - when balls are being launched into play and Revive triggers, no revive will be taken and ball saver will be extended 4 seconds with no grace period
    Score Frame - fixed a rare issue when adding a player during Bonus countup results in temporarily displaying 0000 scores for all players and overlapping text
    Music - fixed an issue with the attenuation getting set back to ‘0’ between balls, now it resets it to whatever the adjustment says"

#594 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Everyone on the list paid $100...and were serious enough that they were refreshing their browser within seconds of the tickets going on sale. I'd bet there will be less no-shows this year than in the past.
    Not trying to be pessimistic, but I'd be shocked if there were more than 40 no-shows. (And pinning your hopes on 300, or 100 is unrealistic, and without precedent...even when the tickets were easier to come by).

If you had to pre-pay to hold a spot that changes my thoughts completely.

Then yes for sure. Hell if you had to prepay id be worried if i was number 10 on the list.
    Thanks for clarifying.

#595 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Comet Pinball is happy to be sponsoring PapaTV and ReplayFX streaming this year!
    We're also offering free, in-person pickup at the show for International orders. They'll be waiting for you at the Double Danger booth. Thanks ddpinball!
    (Orders must be placed by 4pm MST on Monday).

Will anyone be selling your bulbs at the show??

#596 5 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

If you had to pre-pay to hold a spot that changes my thoughts completely.

Then yes for sure. Hell if you had to prepay id be worried if i was number 10 on the list.
    Thanks for clarifying.

I think you guys are talking about different lists. People on the waitlist haven't paid anything. People on the Player list have paid 100 bucks.

Quoted from bgwilly31:

The list has moved over 60 spots since Feb. I would say it's moved about 20 in the past month.

#597 5 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Will anyone be selling your bulbs at the show??

I believe he is doing free delivery at the show if you order beforehand.

#598 5 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I believe he is doing free delivery at the show if you order beforehand.

free delivery for non-us buyers i think, not sure on domestic orders

edit: here is his facebook post on the subject

"Comet Pinball Excited to be part of all the greatness that is PAPAtv! Also want to mention that any international folks traveling to Pinburgh/ReplayFX can pick up Comet Pinball orders in person to avoid shipping costs. International orders only please, and you can pick them up at the Double Danger Pinball Accessories booth."

#599 5 years ago

free delivery for non-us buyers i think, not sure on domestic orders

I can order them on your behalf

Just kidding. I'd rather not sway the system, but Ryan is great. Been buying comet since Art started it, and Ryan brought me a shirt to pinburgh last year.

Definitely a recurring buyer when I need to be.

#600 5 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

I think you guys are talking about different lists. People on the waitlist haven't paid anything. People on the Player list have paid 100 bucks.

The list has moved over 60 spots since Feb. I would say it's moved about 20 in the past month.

No Ryan is talking about the fact that you have to pay $100 to go to replay. A requirement to play in pinburgh. To be on the waitlist for pinburgh it costs nothing.

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018/page/12?hl=coreyhulse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.