Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    41721315_1848359118546672_539543421040197632_n (resized).png
    10A2DFCE-2AA0-405C-AEFD-0F68009E5B8E (resized).jpeg
    54E80045-600C-4D45-AD1A-AF3956A9253B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4564 (resized).JPG
    dvatkb (resized).jpg
    844EDC94-EDB0-4A0E-A71E-CD08149B873A (resized).jpeg
    99860DE4-2165-4B62-ADCA-54B0B062432D (resized).jpeg
    66A394CC-83AA-4476-BBED-1FA29C0CD2D1 (resized).jpeg
    729ED912-5BDF-4773-BE85-4CB7EC9C54F5 (resized).jpeg
    6547E95B-06DB-42D9-B227-612553059D5D (resized).jpeg
    ECC55324-9250-4DE8-9EDF-695B24C56133 (resized).jpeg
    B9CCAD9B-A60F-41D4-9254-A0980871C3C9 (resized).jpeg
    5E129566-B736-40C8-9C73-6B43DAF0BF71 (resized).jpeg
    CE0EDC7D-6477-4435-A873-D2BB8802D204 (resized).jpeg
    There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I believe the posting of a last updated DATE was the request so could get an idea when the list was last changed.

https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/#1527540920173-931a75f7-59c3

Date posted.

#452 5 years ago

Does anyone know where the WIPT waitlist is posted?

Cheers
    rd

#454 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Saturday will be open several hours longer than Sunday, if you’re able to make a full day of it. Saturday also has a super fun vibe, with the Pinburgh finals, bands playing, etc. But Saturday is also likely to have the highest number of attendees wandering around playing games.

Replay is taking 554 pins alone.

Thursday there will be 210 in open play.

Friday after Pinburgh and Saturday there will be 478 in open play

Sunday there will be 518 available for open play.

These totals don't include any pins brought by vendors or individuals, and also don't account for breakdowns.

#456 5 years ago

Sweet.

Not quite the Omni lobby, but I'll take it

#457 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Replay is taking 554 pins alone.
    Thursday there will be 210 in open play.
    Friday after Pinburgh and Saturday there will be 478 in open play
    Sunday there will be 518 available for open play.
    These totals don't include any pins brought by vendors or individuals, and also don't account for breakdowns.

Since the arcade opens in halls A, B and C at 9am on Thursday, and Pinburgh starts at 10am (in hall C) on Thursday,
    is the general public allowed to play the tournament games from 9am to 9:59am on Thursday?
    I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask.

#458 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ace24:

Since the arcade opens in halls A, B and C at 9am on Thursday, and Pinburgh starts at 10am (in hall C) on Thursday,
    is the general public allowed to play the tournament games from 9am to 9:59am on Thursday?

No.

#459 5 years ago

Is there cheaper parking near the Convention than parking at the DLCC on-site garage?

#460 5 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Is there cheaper parking near the Convention than parking at the DLCC on-site garage?

http://www.pittsburghparking.com/gstc

#461 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ace24:

The pinburgh section is kind of gated off from the rest of the floor with signs/fences that have the details of Pinburgh and the schedule and whatnot -- but, there isn't any way to know who is and who is not a tournament player before the rounds start, so really anybody could walk in and play stuff in that hour.

Here's some shots of the pinburgh set up from last year taken from the bridge over the show floor.

4AAE01E4-1D31-43FA-BF4D-46E0E84BA122 (resized).jpeg4AAE01E4-1D31-43FA-BF4D-46E0E84BA122 (resized).jpeg5701D33F-EBAF-4C1C-B77C-72794EC7756D (resized).jpeg5701D33F-EBAF-4C1C-B77C-72794EC7756D (resized).jpegDBBCF79A-FC38-4ABC-9DD5-8FC22C4EB204 (resized).jpegDBBCF79A-FC38-4ABC-9DD5-8FC22C4EB204 (resized).jpeg

#462 5 years ago

Pinburgh doesn't let you practice on the banks between rounds or before the tournament starts, so unfortunately you have to wait until late Friday or Saturday to play the tournament games.

#463 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Pinburgh doesn't let you practice on the banks between rounds or before the tournament starts, so unfortunately you have to wait until late Friday or Saturday to play the tournament games.

So do we get any chance to see how the game is setup before we play it? Just to see how tight the tilt is, and any setting changes. I don't want to have to tilt out the first ball in competition just to find out the tilt is crazy sensitive.

#464 5 years ago

Nope. I can't recall off the top of my head how player order is decided, but there's no warm ups allowed on the bank. Tilts are generally on the tight side though. Setting changes are generally posted on the back glass.

#465 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So do we get any chance to see how the game is setup before we play it? Just to see how tight the tilt is, and any setting changes. I don't want to have to tilt out the first ball in competition just to find out the tilt is crazy sensitive.

No practice on banks during the tourney allowed. So step right up and give it a shot. Of course if not player #1 you may want to watch and see if settings can be determined by what you can see happen. If lucky you can ask a friend if played the bank earlier to give you hints.

#466 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

You can play the games in the first hour between open on thursday and start of the tournament. That's it.

The pre-tournament play session is mentioned on the early registration page: https://papa.org/2018/07/early-check-in-for-pinburgh-2018/

Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I can't recall off the top of my head how player order is decided,

For the first game in any round, player order choice is dictated by seeding - low seed picks first and so on. For the other 3 games in a round, lowest score picks position first, then next lowest, etc.

#467 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You can play the games in the first hour between open on thursday and start of the tournament. That's it.

yeah, last year i ran around and tried as many games ive never played before as i could to get a little sense of what they play like.

#468 5 years ago

Really? I got mildly chastised for playing before the start of the tournament two years ago. Sorry if I gave out incorrect information.

#469 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Really? I got mildly chastised for playing before the start of the tournament two years ago. Sorry if I gave out incorrect information.

There is a period of time right before the tournament where they make everybody stop playing -- perhaps you were in that window?

#470 5 years ago

Maybe? It was my first time there. Last year I got there late.

#471 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

yeah, last year i ran around and tried as many games ive never played before as i could to get a little sense of what they play like.

Best case scenario is you could get practice on 20 or 30 different machines. But there are 300+ and you only play 20 during Pinburgh.

Did you end up actually getting assigned to any of the games you had practiced?

Added over 6 years ago:

Edit: It's actually 40 machines that you're guaranteed to play: 20 each day. A few more if you're lucky enough to make finals.

#472 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Best case scenario is you could get practice on 20 or 30 different machines. But there are 300+ and you only play 20 during Pinburgh.

It's definitely worth getting some flipping time in that morning, especially on game manufacturers or types (3 inch flipper EMs for some people) that you don't play often, just to get a bit of a feel for how they shoot different, or refresh what they're like to play. But yeah, practicing on something you get assigned isn't all that likely.

#473 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'll be happy with 10 or so quick tests. Really a couple of Sterns, a couple of 90s, a few of the classics. I'm assuming others are setup similar, so I can get a good dataset from that. I know it won't be the games I'm assigned, but I just want to get a feel of the games before I go down in flames... oh crap, there is that doubt again... I meant before I run through all of you towards my championship!

#474 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

yeah, didnt play full games on most, tried a lot of the EM's and tried to learn some skill shots / tilt sensitivity. id rather have more information than less information even if its not on every single game ryanwanger

#475 5 years ago

I saw a FBook post that some games are going to have pinstadium crap on them?

Is this true and will there be an option to turn them off for players that just see strobbing lights when this junk is used?

(sorry, not sorry ot be harsh but they look like dog crap and negatively impact playing experience for some)

#476 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is this true and will there be an option to turn them off for players that just see strobbing lights when this junk is used?
    (sorry, not sorry ot be harsh but they look like dog crap and negatively impact playing experience for some)

Little harsh

Can you post a link. Have not seen the post

#477 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They're going to be used for the stage games I think. And maybe only during streaming?

#478 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

That's the beauty of the format and what you must learn to manage. And why insight and knowledge about the games is so valuable. Unless you've been playing there for years, its likely you'll see dozens of games you've never touched before... let alone know their playing state.

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

They're going to be used for the stage games I think. And maybe only during streaming?

so only during playoffs on main bank? I am fine then as I wont have to deal with them.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Little harsh

Yeah, a bit harsh but was pissed when I saw mention of it. They make it really hard for me to play and spending this much on a trip and time off to then hear the state of the games would be changed in a negative way was BS.

I also think they really look like complete shit. Worst mod of the past year or so. Blindingly bright light that for some (depends on your eyes) strobe badly, wash out playfield contrast, and color bomb stuff into oblivion. Sucks to play when you can barely see the ball. IMHO, competitive pinball should not being partnering with this company or any company that can negatively impact a subset of players.

It was on a PAPA fbook post.

#480 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Little harsh

I don't know how to get the direct link to the FB junk.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.51.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.51.35 PM (resized).png
    #481 5 years ago

worth note that assuming this is the junk on many of the games at Logan's arcade recently, then the light sticks were constantly falling off and impacting play.

Not a good idea to have one of these nudge loose and F up a competitive match.

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Good to know. If you end up in my group I will DEFINITELY be wearing a set of Pin Stadium lights as earrings.

#483 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Good to know. If you end up in my group I will DEFINITELY be wearing a set of Pin Stadium lights as earrings.

Sweetest

#484 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Worst mod of the past year or so. Blindingly bright light that for some (depends on your eyes) strobe badly, wash out playfield contrast, and color bomb stuff into oblivion. Sucks to play when you can barely see the ball. IMHO, competitive pinball should not being partnering with this company or any company that can negatively impact a subset of players.
    It was on a PAPA fbook post.

The ones on our games will not flash or have any special color effects in play.

#485 5 years ago

Are we allowed to bring chairs to the tournament? If so, is common for people to bring chairs? Will we typically have enough time between rounds to go to a table and take a load off? Just concerned about my feet holding up for the duration of the tournament.

#486 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Are we allowed to bring chairs to the tournament? If so, is common for people to bring chairs? Will we typically have enough time between rounds to go to a table and take a load off? Just concerned about my feet holding up for the duration of the tournament.

Yep. I brought a small tripod chair with a back rest and cup holder and carried it everywhere with me. Sit as much as possible.

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

The playing area has been surrounded by tables and chairs around the sides and in the middle in recent years. Think hotel banquet hall tables/chairs. People have been bringing small tripod chairs, etc... but the aisles can be crowded. If people start bringing full on camping chairs... it's going to get messy and problematic. I know I saw 2-3 in prior years, and I don't know if staff did anything... but just do the math. A few hundred chairs = a lot of space.

#488 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

There are actually quite a lot of chairs/tables around the tournament area. If you check out the pictures I posted yesterday, there's a number of round tables in the middle, and a row down each side with a bunch of chairs. There's also places outside the hall you can go to and sit down (various benches and chairs) since the tournament runs on a schedule and you'll know when the next round starts. Depending on how long your group runs you'll usually have a decent amount of time between rounds to take a break.

The crowded bit flynnibus mentions is the interior aisles of the tournament area (one on each side) - those don't have any chairs directly in them, so during the round it was a standaround, but as soon as the round is done, it's pretty simple to find somewhere to flop. Whether you bring a chair/stool or not.

Granted, the layout for this year is new (because it's in a new part of the hall) and we haven't seen a map yet. There may be more space, more chairs, or less of either. Impossible to say at this point.

#489 5 years ago

I've never brought a chair, but I brought one of these with me every year: https://www.amazon.com/Brita-Ounce-Sided-Bottle-Filter/dp/B00IHVIBO6/ref=sr_1_9

32 oz water bottle with built in filter. Easy to fill up at a drinking fountain or sink and then it's got the britta filter so it doesn't taste like crap.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 9.59.11 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-10 at 9.59.11 AM (resized).png
    #490 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

There are actually quite a lot of chairs/tables around the tournament area. If you check out the pictures I posted yesterday, there's a number of round tables in the middle, and a row down each side with a bunch of chairs. There's also places outside the hall you can go to and sit down (various benches and chairs) since the tournament runs on a schedule and you'll know when the next round starts. Depending on how long your group runs you'll usually have a decent amount of time between rounds to take a break.

I remember for finals they had seats for spectators in front of the stage. Will that be setup on Thursday and Friday?

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I remember for finals they had seats for spectators in front of the stage. Will that be setup on Thursday and Friday?

Yeah, there's always chairs in rows in front of the stage. You can see those in the pictures I posed (granted, it's a little dark). I'm think they added more chairs for the finals on Saturday, but there were chairs there throughout.

#492 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

We are all going on assumptions the layout will be similar to prior years.. so info is guestimates

The stage has a large gallery seating area in front of it. It's in the middle of the floor. If you can think of an H... the stage is the bar in the middle of the H. Then there are rows (the vertical bars of the H) flanking it on each side. epthegeek's photo shows it best. There are tables and chairs on the outside edges of both sides of the area... and the gallery seating in front of the stage.

Rule #1 of pinburg is... you don't get to move the chairs

Ppl used to grab chairs and move them into the aisles... this was a big headache and problem for them previously. Thus, people started coming up with their own chair solutions. But since, they've added more tables/chairs around the outside.

The key is resting inbetween rounds.

#493 5 years ago

Are we allowed to have Yoga mats or some kind of soft mat to stand on while we are playing in the competition or is that a disadvantage for other players?

#494 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballonthemark:

Are we allowed to have Yoga mats or some kind of soft mat to stand on while we are playing in the competition or is that a disadvantage for other players?

People bring pads... but then should expect to move them in and out as they play.

#495 5 years ago

Heading to my first Pinburgh and it's clear that the people watching will be almost as good as the pinball

#496 5 years ago

Bring one. Stand on it. Cut it out around your feet. Glue to the bottom of your shoe. Done. Haha.

I laughed so hard when TaylorVA said this on his most recent podcast.

#497 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bring one. Stand on it. Cut it out around your feet. Glue to the bottom of your shoe. Done. Haha.
    I laughed so hard when taylorva said this on his most recent podcast.

Hmm...Moon Shoes to become the new hot strategy?

#498 5 years ago

I recommend getting some good shoe inserts instead. Get the heavy duty work work ones and don’t go cheap.

They work just as well and you don’t have to carry a dirty mat around for days and annoy everyone else with it.

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I laughed so hard when taylorva said this on his most recent podcast.

Ya know, this was meant to be funny, but after 4 days + setup standing on that awful concrete, this is not a half-bad idea!!!

#500 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I've never brought a chair, but I brought one of these with me every year: amazon.com link »
    32 oz water bottle with built in filter. Easy to fill up at a drinking fountain or sink and then it's got the britta filter so it doesn't taste like crap.

Can the Brita filter eliminate the "Pin Stadium crap"?

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfxpinburgh-2018/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.