Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And if you are really terrified of ending up in a division where everybody is "better" than you you can always sandbag the last round if you need to.

I believe that the "width" of the B division last year was only 3 points. Meaning that having four less points was the difference between being at the bottom of A and the top of C. If you're playing well enough to make A or B, you don't want to end up in D by throwing a round...I don't think it will be that enjoyable.

My favorite advice to give is that every point matters. Thinking about how many points you need to average, or taking the attitude like "oh well, I guess this round is a bust, I'll make it back next round" isn't the best strategy in my opinion. A point in the 1st round is just as good as a point in the 5th round. And as I mentioned above, a whole division is contained in just a three point window. Pulling out a first place in that final game of a round where you had zero points can jump you up 200 spots.

Every point matters. When you're in last place going into your final ball, don't adopt a "first or bust" scoring strategy. Pass the person in third, then do what you need to do to pass second place. And so on. Don't tilt away a bonus that will jump you past other players in your group.

Can't wait!

#239 6 years ago

Also, Comet Pinball is doing free in-person delivery at Pinburgh for any international orders placed by midday on Tuesday. I'd love to meet! I'll be wearing my blue Comet shirt and trying not to get too stressed out about how I'm playing. Come say hi and let's chat (about bulbs, games, strategies...anything).

#240 6 years ago

This may be an A Division thing, but both years I made it into A, and in both cases Day 2 was way less fun than Day 1. People were more stressed and generally not happy about their performance. This year I'm going to try and be better about that, and enjoy myself regardless of my groupmates!

#276 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hopefully we get paired up more than once. Or at least meet up for dollar games at some point!

Both are a near certainty. We've been on a collision course for a while now. Just hoping it isn't on GOT.

#277 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

is it warm or cool in the hall?

I was chilly in a t-shirt. I'd bring long sleeves.

Quoted from epthegeek:

By saturday most of the pinburgh games are available

This. The pins in the tournament bank are awesomer. After the final round ends on Friday, all of those games are open to the public except the 40ish? used in finals. Plan for a late night Friday...it'll be your first shot at those games, and most of the tournament players will be sick of playing by then.

Quoted from sohchx:

The past two years that I have gone on Saturday I have ended up having to play games that I either already own, have already owned, or have played dozens of times, and that's no fun for me so end up only staying for about 6 hrs. It's really a shame because I would like to stay for an entire day but it gets old fast for me. With that being said Sunday is great because everything is available for play for the most part.

This is wrong. Nearly all tournament games are available for all once round 10 has finished (Friday night). At least, that's how it was the last two years.

#347 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

How does one find you?

I believe he plans to talk the entire time, so just wander around listening for his voice. That's my plan anyway!

#541 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Oh!! Is anyone here a parent of the 14 year old boy that was in the tournament?

Was his name Escher? If so, he's the reigning PAPA World Champion

#626 6 years ago

This is what 7-7-5-10-8-8-7-8-8 looks like. Not pictured, the 2 in round 10 that plummeted me out of the top 40.

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 12.04.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-01 at 12.04.05 PM (resized).png

1 week later
    #748 6 years ago

Of all the tournaments, Pinburgh is designed to make you play well across all games and all eras...and with no warm up or practice.

If you ask me who the best craftsman is, it's the person who can build whatever you ask for on the spot. I'm less impressed by the person who got 50 practice attempts before having to make the one that counts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2017-pinburgh?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.