2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 138 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 2 years ago

I'll be there. Made the playoffs last year and came in 5th!

( .... in D division ... )

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I will be there. Last year I made A division but ended up playing very poorly on the final day. I need to take some advice from Steve Ritchie and play better.

good advice.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I managed to squeak by you and take 4th, so I have to play in C this year. Hoping to not get killed.

oh wow, did i play against you? i was the guy who drained on Firepower, only like 1000 points away from advancing, who yelled "FUCK" at the top of his lungs, only to turn around and see a little girl sitting directly behind him. i got a stern warning from the official for that! i didn't need it, though, i felt like a piece of shit regardless. i have basically spent the last year working on stopping loud outbursts like that, haha.

#48 2 years ago

sweet! can't wait for this thing to begin. i'm gonna tie some pillows to the bottom of my feet this time though.

#121 2 years ago

The problem with those tips is they are like "try to build up the jackpot to a billion before stacking all 3 multiball modes" or whatever on games where 80% of players won't even get one multiball. That's not helpful on a game you don't already know really well. An app of helpful tips would be much MUCH simpler advice such as "the left ramp is safer than the right orbit" or "the drop targets light the lock".

1 week later
    #294 2 years ago

i'm most interested in playing Hercules, Loch Ness Monster, Predator, and Aaron Spelling. otherwise i'm rioting.

#359 2 years ago

Last year there was a single vendor selling macro beer in bottles and mixed drinks, and the line got super long by the evening. :/ my plan is to bring my own beverage in an unmarked container. ( I don't object to paying vendor prices but I do object to having large chunks of my ReplayFX time wasted standing in line)

#432 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

All the podcasts were doing "pick the winner" of Pinburgh who has never won it. I'm going with Karl DeAngelo. Second pick would be Eric Stone.

... and of course I get matched up with Eric in round one. Beat him one out of four!

#441 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

See, I just don't understand that, since there's 796 players listed as starting. I guess no shows who actually checked in the night before?

Yes. I saw a group where a player was absent even though they checked in, and the tech who redid their sheet brought back the wrong corrected sheet, so there was at least one other group in the same situation. Weird.

#451 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. Just looked. Every game in that booth is off.

Their techs went to dinner is what I heard.

#468 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess C restriction didnt mean anything
    Somehow I qualified in A. HAve to say this appears and insirmountable mountain to climb in the structure, but should be another super fun day of pinball. Maybe they can come up with an algorithm for future years to better divide based on relative spread after five rounds.
    A division spread is from 50 to 33 w 247 people
    B division spread is from 32.5 to 30 w 197 people
    C division spread is from 29 to 27 w 190 people
    Seems to me like it is time for a fifth division,the A-/b+ division. Even from qualifying at 40th in A down to the bottom is a spread from 39 to 33. I can see why so many strategically sandbag in rounds 4 and 5 on day one after going through it. Just a thought while going through the experience.
    Initial thought is that top 100 should be A. That gives a spread of 50 to 36 and only 3 point difference from qualifying 40th (39) to 100th(36). Sitting down with the data and running some stats would come up with an eloquent and logocal way to make these divisions in a manner that makes for more total fun/ competition I think. I say that since the most fun competitive rounds are when you have four even matched players and a relatively level chance of playing well against each other across a bank with opportunity to see each others strength and weakness on the various era games.
    TLDR! Maybe think about adjusting A to have a more reasonable spread for future years.
    these thoughts may shift after Day 2 but always fun to put them out as a thinking point in real time.
    GOod luck today everyone and hope you all have a great time! Be excellent to each other!
    Edit to add: Jeffrey D, find me today if you read this. FOrgot to get you something after the last round yesterday.

I finished yesterday with 32 points, half a point from A. Not bad for a D player last year.

#471 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The last thing we need is another division. 4 is enough.
    The real issue is the dozens and dozens of people trying to beef their way into B. So many people did it that the cut line is lower for A this year by one point this year than it was last year. Proving the old adage that its mathematically impossible for EVERYONE to beef.
    So 50 more people are in A this year. I'm looking forward to playing them today.

Man, this concept is so infuriating to me. Just fucking quit if you are so scared of other good players that you would throw matches trying to game the system for easier competition. I have absolutely no respect for any embarrassing, worthless wastes of flesh taking that approach. What pathetic cowards.

#475 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And nor will they care about your ranting if they're taking this approach...clearly they already have an exploitative attitude, you think they're going to give 2 craps if other players have kneecapped themselves out of money by being "ethical",

I'm not trying to change their minds and I didn't say it was unfair. I don't mind competition, that aspect doesn't bother me. I'm just calling them sad pathetic cowards.

#495 2 years ago

Finished 10th in B. First round bye for the playoffs I believe. Way better than I thought I'd do!

#509 2 years ago

My opinion is there's no inherent value to slicing the divisions thinner. No matter what system you implement, you will literally always have a certain percentage that will seek to game that system for their benefit. I understand that getting into the bottom of A makes the prospects of playoffs a very unlikely goal, but reaching A is an achievement and a goal accomplished in itself.

You also dont want a system where everyone still has a chance to win after two full days of playing, because otherwise those days would lack meaning.

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

What time are the tournament pins open to free play Saturday?
    I don't want to pay another $60 today to not be able to play 70% of the games.

The vast majority are open now. Only about 12 banks are used for finals.

#552 2 years ago

Why is Mario Andretti being played by Jackie Chan?

#601 2 years ago

What the heck? A high level discussion of pinball technique on Pinside? Cool...

#615 2 years ago

seeded 620th or so. finished way higher than that. was in the top 10 of B for most of the weekend. half a point out of A after being a D player last year. I was eliminated immediately in the finals -- my first bad round of the entire tournament, and it was REALLY bad. oh well, still psyched overall.

next year's goal is to actually make A.

777-700-500 (resized).png

#662 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Tons of games to play,but majority not available till firday after 11pm.
    I will say that factually a bunch of games were down on saturday. So many that I inquired to a lead tech if they no longer wanted signs put on broken games.

i fixed two games myself by carefully lifting them up a few inches to unstick a stuck ball.

#676 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When you simply extend the flipper and allow a ball with enough momentum to jump over the gap and land in controllable fashion on the other flipper or inlane. Not sure if I got the term right.
    Something you'll do a lot if you see a game has very shallow flippers.

happens a lot on Meteor.

1 week later
    #770 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Be quick on the trigger on Replayfx's website on December 2nd at 11 am.

I signed up 25 minutes after the site launched and got waitlisted. (Eventually made it in though)

#776 2 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

I believe 1K is a request at best right now. The organizers have certainly not committed to growing any more. There are real limitations around space, machines and staff that may not allow further growth

I heard something different.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 58.00
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.00
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    $ 64.00
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 445.00
    MI Pinball Refinery

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside