Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from redacted:

Tip: as soon as you know your next bank, add some misleading tips about those games. When you're playing against random opponents all day, every little bit helps.

There's plenty of misleading tips and bad advice in the "pintips" guide already. You are better off just watching the other players and seeing what works when it comes to games you don't know.

Can't wait to end up with a group of people toting around pintips printouts when I play 'em on Stellar Wars.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Bah, that's disheartening. I woulda thought the pinball community would do better than that on something like this, what with how detailed rule sheets get written and shared. I like the concept, and I submitted several things to various games.

People play games different ways. People have different opinions on how to play a game. This makes something like "pintips" inherently flawed. Is it better than nothing? I don't know. I don't think you can really read a pintips guide, step up to a game you've never played, and have any kind of advantage because you read a few sentences on the game based on one individual's opinion or perception of a game.

But whatever works for you. I've done better just watching the other players and trying to do my best. You are better off concentrating on your shots and figuring out what is working and what is dangerous by watching the other players than you are by distracting yourself by trying to follow rules or strategy you just read about 60 seconds ago.

Hint: on stellar wars, the "pintips" advice of going for the top right DT bank is terrible. You'll NEVER light the spinners (it's extremely difficult to knock em down three times in one ball) and it's a super dangerous shot with many returns STDM. If you want to shoot a DT bank, I'd go for the one on the lower left (which pintips says is the "least valuable" of the banks). It's the safest - by far of the three banks - to shoot at, and it lights the Pops for 1000 a hit and then 2000 a hit. this can be valuable since you are going up top a lot anyway.

Pintips sucks.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so i'm on the last 30odd on the waitlist and I'm risking it coming all the way from London

In the last two years (the years I've gone) nobody who showed up the morning of pinburgh would have been denied admittance. There were more no shows than people who wanted to play. At 30 I think you are fine!

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Its certainly better than absolutely nothing. Stepping up to a game you've never played with no warm up at all and having to compete on it is rough. Any amount of simplified rule-tip or evil geometry warning is welcome there. People do it in person all the time: "Hey I have to play X in the next round and I'm not familiar with it, what are some key points I should know?".
    Is it going to make you awesome? Nah. But pointers is pointers. If they're not wrong, anyway.

I prefer the step up and start playing method!

But thankfully after a couple PAPAs and Pinburghs I'm starting to flirt with familiarity on most of them.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

How about a sweet game of "Hoops"? lol
    Pintips got me pointed in the right direction last year for that game, but yes, most the time it is somewhat worthless, sometimes it probably can steer you wrong.
    If you want "something" to start with I would check it, and then decide if you really want to try what they say.

Dear lord Hoops...makes absolutely no sense! Timballs gave me some tips on it at pintastic, I decided my best course was to just avoid it.

I found myself pining for the usual Premier ruleset of "mystery award gives multiball"

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Perhaps you should check Pintips, lol
    Its a one strat game.

That strat was pretty unfriendly at pintastic with the spinner shot sending the ball STDM...lol

You never know what you are gonna get.

In an aside...for all your pinball Strats!

strat (resized).jpgstrat (resized).jpg

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from brett2280:

8th on the wait list. Time to book flights I think.

Beyond a doubt.

#173 6 years ago

Every year there are dozens of no shows, so yes it would be really nice if people would cancel (even if they miss the refund date) to goose the waitlist.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Last years intended target was 700 wasn't it? Last years scoring page says there were only 684 active players, even after all the in-person fill ins.

Correct. The problem is if people had canceled instead of simply not shown up, more people would have gone. Every year people get cowed by the mighty waitlist, stay home, and there are plenty of vacant spots when the games begin.

#177 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

How does one go about cancelling their spot on the waitlist? A friend of mine is on there and won't be making the trip.

see below

#194 6 years ago

Star Wars huh?

I've had that game freak out on me/crash in three different multiballs. Personally don't think it's tournament ready but I guess we'll see.

#234 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

my mistake. looks like he times that one perfectly
    last year he was top 200 for the majority of the year, must have eroded just beyond prior to pinburgh.

You shouldn't really worry so much about why other people are playing in whatever divisions or whatever else they were up to. There's gonna be like 800 people there it's pretty taxing to keep tabs on which division all of them are restricted to, or playing in and why and how.

Just play your best and try to win some games - if you can do that you'll be all right. Whichever division you end up in if you can average around 7 points a round you should be ok. And if you are really terrified of ending up in a division where everybody is "better" than you you can always sandbag the last round if you need to. Lots of people do this to avoid playing in A or B on Friday if they think they aren't good enough. I did it myself my first year to play in B - I ended up beefing it in the second round of B finals anyway, and decided I really would have been better off just playing my best.

#286 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

There are only 48 games used in all of the Pinburgh finals and we will have well over 550 pins there. There will be at least 500 pins available on Saturday. Pinburgh finals are usually all wrapped up around 6-7 PM so all of those games are then released as well.
    Which titles are you interested in playing that weren't available last year?

Probably Doodle Bug.

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

It was crazy bananas last year when we went too, it's just that good/popular.

The good news is the long breaks seem to be at kind of weird times...so the replay crowd doesn't really swell there during peak lunch or dinner. Meatballs.

I'm pumped for some Pinburgh.

ARE YOU PUMPED?!?!

Let's get it on!

#386 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Attention Pinburgh players: Early check-in for Pinburgh will occur today at 2 locations.
    1 PM - 5 PM: PPL Clubhouse - 2319 Wharton St
    7 PM - 9 PM: Kickback Pinball Cafe - 4326 Butler St

Does this mean no downtown registration this year as in years past?

#469 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess C restriction didnt mean anything
    Somehow I qualified in A. HAve to say this appears and insirmountable mountain to climb in the structure, but should be another super fun day of pinball. Maybe they can come up with an algorithm for future years to better divide based on relative spread after five rounds.
    A division spread is from 50 to 33 w 247 people
    B division spread is from 32.5 to 30 w 197 people
    C division spread is from 29 to 27 w 190 people
    Seems to me like it is time for a fifth division,the A-/b+ division. Even from qualifying at 40th in A down to the bottom is a spread from 39 to 33. I can see why so many strategically sandbag in rounds 4 and 5 on day one after going through it. Just a thought while going through the experience.
    Initial thought is that top 100 should be A. That gives a spread of 50 to 36 and only 3 point difference from qualifying 40th (39) to 100th(36). Sitting down with the data and running some stats would come up with an eloquent and logocal way to make these divisions in a manner that makes for more total fun/ competition I think. I say that since the most fun competitive rounds are when you have four even matched players and a relatively level chance of playing well against each other across a bank with opportunity to see each others strength and weakness on the various era games.
    TLDR! Maybe think about adjusting A to have a more reasonable spread for future years.
    these thoughts may shift after Day 2 but always fun to put them out as a thinking point in real time.
    GOod luck today everyone and hope you all have a great time! Be excellent to each other!
    Edit to add: Jeffrey D, find me today if you read this. FOrgot to get you something after the last round yesterday.

The last thing we need is another division. 4 is enough.

The real issue is the dozens and dozens of people trying to beef their way into B. So many people did it that the cut line is lower for A this year by one point this year than it was last year. Proving the old adage that its mathematically impossible for EVERYONE to beef.

So 50 more people are in A this year. I'm looking forward to playing them today.

#506 6 years ago

Crazy Levi got himself a first round bye in A.

He's also confused and frightened by the finals bank but that's pretty much half of pinburgh anyway so let's see how it goes tomorrow. We can wing this shit.

#580 6 years ago

I finished 19th in A out of 800 players. Not as good as last year when I finished 14th but still a decent haul of Whoppers and cash. Trent and I got screwed having to play a tiebreaker on a malfunctioning Hobbit game that throws balls off the ramp and into the outlane, but everybody has a story like that.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes in a top tournament like this, and learn from playing with people who are better than you. That's one of the things that is completely lost on people who are trying to beef into a lower division, or are obsessed with how many divisions there are, who belongs where, etc. It's extremely valuable to play with top players. I can learn from playing with Raymond Davidson and Trent and you can learn from playing with me, even if at the end of the day you wish your finals had lasted longer.

In my case, I realized I finally have to deal with a serious deficiency in my game, drop catching. And honestly, after all this time, it's going to take me like a week to make that a serious part of my game. I think it's going to improve my game dramatically, and i'm almost embarrassed that 2.5 years into my pro career I've let this slide because I was too lazy to deal with it or didn't realize how it was affecting my game. So now I'm gonna work on it (already started last night and thrilled with the results). I'm excited about it. I'm not pissed that I was "forced" to play with -and lost - to better players.

So stop beefing people, unless you really have no ambition to get better. And congrats to Colin who showed everybody you don't have to be a "favorite" to win something like this. You just have to work on your game, stay loose, and have fun.

#583 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I dunno what you're calling a 'pro' competition career, but I've been playing quite a lot for 5 out of the last 6 years, and drop catching has not been something I've substantially felt like I've been sorely missing. I know out of the 'advanced' flipper skills, it's by far my weakest, but I can't really think of a single time where I'm like "I could've saved that and had an epic won had I drop caught that."
    Conversely, I can think of about a million times where I've TRIED to drop catch something, f'ed it up, and lost my ball. I get that it's a tool that's great for slowing things down when you already had the flipper up for whatever reason and couldn't get it through a full cycle to do a live catch...but I've been screwed over a LOT less on live catch attempts than failed drop catch attempts, personally. Maybe I'm just playing too many EM/DMD, and not enough early solid state, where drop catches seem to be more useful. (Split flipper bitch avoidance FTW.)
    *Edit* Should probably mention that I'm not a 'control' player to start with, I'm very on the fly most of the time....

Drop catching is HUGE on an EM game without traditional inlanes. My lack of confidence and experience executing this move to perfection on Williams Liberty Bell directly cost me advancing to the next round on where i would have been guaranteed significantly more money and more Whoppers.

Like I said, part of a tournament like this is identifying ways you can improve. I've identified an opportunity for substantial improvement and I'm excited about the possibility of going next level.

Did you learn anything this tournament, or identify and deficiencies in your game?

#591 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I wasn't there. But I do play against Colin semi-regularly? I definitely figured out at Bat City Open that I really need to work on my EM game again...it used to be my best era, now it's probably my worst. Games like Spinner, Capersville, and other 'wierd' EMs keep screwing me over..
    I do own a Crescendo...the idea of drop catching on there however is kind of...err... it's 2" flippers with a HUGE gap and no margin for error. I'll have to practice on Farfalla or something

No, practice on Crescendo. That game has inlanes and is a GREAT game for you to practice your skills on. I have a Dimension so I know. This stuff will seem easier on a 3 inch game after practicing on that one.

#592 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I also learned that Ready Aim Fire is probably the worst pinball machine ever made, lol.
    On the other hand, RoGo is my buddy and lets me shoot the horseshoe as much as I want

I DESTROYED this one in round 9 and it helped me secure my bye with a 10 point round. Yeah it's a stupid game but pretty easy to deal with. Left flipper just sent it up toward the orbit and right I sent it to the right of the pops. Lots of ski passing. Got 2.5 billion on this one. First time I played it! Kinda sums up pinburgh you gotta learn and adapt super quick on stuff you are unfamiliar with.

Super dopey game but I liked the sound and music. Looked like something a company about to go out of business would put out with all their leftover parts - probably exactly what it was! (I think Gottlieb actually closed for a month around this time)

#600 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

No, it doesn't. It has two trapezoid-near-square dead bumpers directly adjacent to the flippers. No slingshots, two pop bumpers just above two drain lanes. It's like having a Paragon Beast Lair on both sides...only there's no return from it to the flipper at ALL...you just pray it flies out.

Sorry got it mixed up.

But again, a perfect game to practice your drops on. That's the EXACT kind of game where you could gain a huge advantage by being able to control the ball where your less skilled opponent can't. Liberty Bell has a similar arrangement and I wasn't doing drop catches. I lost control, didn't get enough shots, and took a 1 where a 2 would have propelled me into round of 16.

Crescendo...BRING IT ON!

#603 6 years ago

How does ghosting affect bounce passing?

#607 6 years ago

Just spent an hour on argosy drop catching. This shit is easy, fun, and profitable! Lookout bitches!!

#613 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I'm surprised a player of your skill level doesn't already have this in his arsenal. I mean this as a compliment. So I do believe it when you say:

Yeah I'm surprised too. And embarrassed. Better late than never.

I'm a visual guy when playing. I can't really read a guide or watch a tutorial on a game, I kinda have to be there. Same with this. Watching Ray Day drop catch his way to victory on Liberty Bell while I bounce passed into slings and beefed my way to 1 point was a bit of a wakeup call.

I've been working on other stuff that I should have had down a while ago like staging and tap passing. Three's always room for improvement.

#629 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is what 7-7-5-10-8-8-7-8-8 looks like. Not pictured, the 2 in round 10 that plummeted me out of the top 40.

Wow! Looks like you almost clawed your back.

I survived a 3 on Thursday and a 4 on Friday and still got a bye in A. It can be done but it sucks to use up all your cushion in one round.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Too little WAY too late.

The Wurt Dipper.

#632 6 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

So here's a random question...
    Who owns the games at Replay FX? I mean, the tournament games are all PAPA games, but what about all the pins/arcades/other that was out on the show floor?
    Im asking because one game intrigued my wife quite much, and I would love to speak to the owner about it.

Some of the games had For Sale signs on them, but most of them are owned by PAPA I believe. Some are from vendors.

#653 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I counted around 200 games available for free play that WERE NOT used in pinburgh. Meaning there to play all day Thursday and Friday. 100% worth the trip. Most of said games belong to the replay foundation and are/were in fine working order. More than worth the price of admission.
    Then like others have said, all games outside of like 50 were available starting Friday night on.
    Those vendors that had games turned off turned them off after being open for over 12 hours. I don't see why they couldn't leave them on while they weren't there, but that's their choice.
    If you don't go to replayfx based off some hearsay and something you didn't experience yourself, you are truly missing out. I mean it's $25 a day. Geeze Louise. Live a little. Stop being so concerned that it's not the greatest thing ever. Just go. Have fun.

It's more fun to Bitch and the travel costs are much lower.

#672 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What's a ski pass?

When you simply extend the flipper and allow a ball with enough momentum to jump over the gap and land in controllable fashion on the other flipper or inlane. Not sure if I got the term right.

Something you'll do a lot if you see a game has very shallow flippers.

#694 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Cool. I do that a lot on GB.

Yes perfect example and shallow flipper game. I do it on GB any time the ball rolls down the outside inlanes.

#695 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, how long does it take for results to get posted to IFPA?
    anyone remember form previosu years?
    just curious how many wpprs I get for 103rd

You'll get around 11 or 12. Compare it to last year, which is usually a very accurate indicator of what you'll get this time:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=12352#

#714 6 years ago

I tried making one of these lists and I gave up as I kept getting early DMDs and later DMDs conflated.

I'm pretty sure I did ok on most games but I know I need to get better on early SS Ballys. Just like last time.

#717 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you play the Viking there? Whoa baby that was a bitch.

No. The ones everybody knows and have played 1000 times Skateball and Fathom got the better of me. Haunted House too for that matter. As usual I need the most work on the early SS games. Spent Friday night and saturday post tournament playing mostly games that had screwed me during qualifying, I have a better handle on them now. Especially Skateball.

#731 6 years ago

It's always easy to talk shit. Getting it done is another matter.

Beating one great player one time doesn't mean you are in the same galaxy as them. Beating a couple great players at some small tournament doesn't mean you can hang with 30 great players in a major.

I've qualified for A two consecutive years at pinburgh and I realize I have a way to go before I can dream of winning one of these things. People who don't even go shouldn't even dream of putting themselves in the conversation.

#736 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmo72:

Josh,
    See all those red number. They are against the best players.

You completely miss the point Taz.

Frax has beaten Colin SIX TIMES, and tied him once. Clearly he is on the same level.

2 weeks later
    #806 6 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Glad you enjoyed my wacky Pedal Powered Pinball

I considered playing it but realized I didn't get into pinball because I enjoy exercise!

1 week later
    #829 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Well, for those of us that didn't cash and have no chance of ever cashing, I'm more interested in when they will release the 2018 bank configurations so I can start preparing.

Here's a hint: pretty much the same games as this year. So start boning up!

3 weeks later
    #878 6 years ago

People coming to Pinside to argue about a thread that closed in ANOTHER forum?!

This is a first! Usually it's pinside exiles going elsewhere to bitch about pinside. I like it, it's a novel twist.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2017-pinburgh?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.