Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 18.
    #351 6 years ago

This will be my first year attending, I have a couple questions. Are you allowed to leave and reenter? I want to eat a better dinner than hotdogs and nachos.

I read they serve alcohol there. Is it a bar or just a beer tent type thing?

Thank you.

#352 6 years ago

Most of the people that would handle running the streaming will be in the tournament. But Jack from Dead Flip isn't going to get in early enough to make the tournament start, so maybe if they'll let him play with the dials and knobs there could be extra streaming.

No idea if he'd actually want to take a busmans holiday like that.

#353 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beerpressure:

This will be my first year attending, I have a couple questions. Are you allowed to leave and reenter? I want to eat a better dinner than hotdogs and nachos.

It's a convention center type venue. You can leave and re-enter but food within walking distance is limited. It's at least a block or two and will take around an hour to leave and wait in line for food elsewhere, then eat and walk back. As long as you plan ahead, you will be fine.

#354 6 years ago

Thank you.

You're free to come and go all day, and there's tons of great food within walking distance.

The beer guy is like one vendor near the main entrance I think. Haven't actually partaken myself, just seen the line.

#355 6 years ago

Thank you.

Yes you can leave and come back!

There is alcohol in the venue itself! They have a bar set up!

If you're into beer checkout ....
    bierportpgh.com not too far from the venue and Kickback Cafe https://www.facebook.com/kickbackpgh/ is a block or so away
    houseof1000beers.com/ 25 min drive but the beer selection is the best in Pittsburgh and the food is really good
    sharpedgebeer.com good selection and in walking distance of ReplayFx but pricey

#356 6 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. I am super excited about this. I am bringing my fiance who is not as into pinball as I am and probably won't want to stay all day like myself. But maybe if I get her few drinks in her she'll be more willing to play games longer.

#357 6 years ago

Thank you.

Wear your laynard and you can come and go as you please... but be aware if you are in pinburg, the schedule can be hard to predict and the push to be 'on time' is real. So don't wander too far off till the posted breaks.

The food vendor sets up beer/liquor carts usually in the evening that are way over loaded with lines. I think the food counter serves drafts too? Forget on that one..

#358 6 years ago

Does anyone know if standard glass is usually sold by vendors? I would think so right? Wondering if I should bring the bigger car or not.

#359 6 years ago

Last year there was a single vendor selling macro beer in bottles and mixed drinks, and the line got super long by the evening. :/ my plan is to bring my own beverage in an unmarked container. ( I don't object to paying vendor prices but I do object to having large chunks of my ReplayFX time wasted standing in line)

#360 6 years ago

Beerpressure *ahem* Not that I have any experience myself - but if you park at the convention center, you're a hop, skip, and a jump from delicious cooler beers and snacks in between rounds. If you aren't competing there's a ton of places to get food/drink. If you want close-ish beverages - I'd give the Sharp Edge a try. It's about a block further but not as packed as the closer options (and half price Belgian drafts during the happy hour that coincides with dinner break even if you are in Pinburgh)

#361 6 years ago

We are staying at Omni William Penn and walking down to the venue. Thanks for the hint though. I will be researching places nearby to eat.

#362 6 years ago
    Quoted from mattnb:

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know the broadcasting/streaming schedule for Pinburgh? Will it just be finals?
    Super hyped to be there this year!

Most likely just Saturday this year, maybe a little something extra too if everything works out.

#363 6 years ago

We are staying at Omni William Penn and walking down to the venue. Thanks for the hint though. I will be researching places nearby to eat.

Head to Market Square, lots of good eats..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#364 6 years ago

Thank you.

Skip the TenPenney on the corner(over priced and very blah). Just down the street is a Taco bar and a Meatball place that are both good. Even the burger place inside the Westin is very good. If you are in a big hurry and want something very close to the venue, there is a Jimmy Johns just between the Convention center and the Westin.
    Oh yeah, the place with the killer steak sandwiches the Nate and Josh don't want anyone to find out about is called Gaucho Parilla Argentina and is about 7 blocks away.

#365 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I believe he plans to talk the entire time, so just wander around listening for his voice. That's my plan anyway!

Um, like..... I don't know. It's not like the dollar starter is a ........... I don't know. OK, here's the thing. The dollar starter thing is a great way to.... I mean, like, I don't know. Just ask Tommy instead!

#366 6 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. I am super excited about this. I am bringing my fiance who is not as into pinball as I am and probably won't want to stay all day like myself. But maybe if I get her few drinks in her she'll be more willing to play games longer.

can you bring me some 555s ????

#367 6 years ago

I'm available as a volunteer worker (registered already) starting WED afternoon. Lucky enough to be working in the area during this event and love to help out. PM or ptimkey at gmail.com

2018 oly (resized).jpg2018 oly (resized).jpg

#368 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Oh yeah, the place with the killer steak sandwiches the Nate and Josh don't want anyone to find out about is called Gaucho Parilla Argentina and is about 7 blocks away.

And just like that Chris Warren disappears from the IFPA database ...

#369 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Skip the TenPenney on the corner(over priced and very blah). Just down the street is a Taco bar and a Meatball place that are both good. Even the burger place inside the Westin is very good. If you are in a big hurry and want something very close to the venue, there is a Jimmy Johns just between the Convention center and the Westin.

Walked by that place today and the locals already had it on lock down. I think the secret is out...

#370 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Oh snap! Well, I won't be at Pinburgh so maybe you will forget by the time I see you again.

#371 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Well, I won't be at Pinburgh

No!! Bummer man. Hopefully I'll see ya before the next LAX.

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

can you bring me some 555s ????

What are 555s?

#373 6 years ago

555=Light bulbs.

#374 6 years ago

No they're over the counter, at least use to be, pills that are great for headaches/hangovers!

#375 6 years ago
    Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

We were at the Omni last year and enjoyed it, though since I was still recovering from surgery the walk back from the Convention Center after being there from open to way late was.... lengthy. The hallways were stiflingly hot, but the rooms were relatively gigantic and plenty cool.
    Tag along with someone staying at the Omni and grab a Starbucks or something in the lobby. The ground floor in that old hotel is worth seeing. I mean, Lawrence Welk's original bubble machine, c'mon! My grandma would have been so hyped.

This picture just jogged my strange memory.

So it is a Lawrence wellk bubble maker? I saw a piece of art recently on someone's wall that had used such an item for a new piece. I wondered why the clock was designed the way it was. It was made from a bubble maker like Lawrence welks. I'm going to get a picture of it at some point.

#376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Walked by that place today and the locals already had it on lock down. I think the secret is out...

It was crazy bananas last year when we went too, it's just that good/popular.

#377 6 years ago

Attention Pinburgh players: Early check-in for Pinburgh will occur today at 2 locations.

1 PM - 5 PM: PPL Clubhouse - 2319 Wharton St
    7 PM - 9 PM: Kickback Pinball Cafe - 4326 Butler St

#378 6 years ago

Will there be a live stream?

#379 6 years ago
    Quoted from dfsays:

Will there be a live stream?

Of the early check-in? No

There will be a stream of at least the finals this weekend.

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The good news is the long breaks seem to be at kind of weird times...so the replay crowd doesn't really swell there during peak lunch or dinner. Meatballs.

I'm pumped for some Pinburgh.

ARE YOU PUMPED?!?!

Let's get it on!

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

One thing about scoring is if you get stuck in a 3 player group. It is not a rare thing. Has happened to me twice. The scoring in a three player group is 2,1,0 and then the total is multiplied by 1.5. So you likely end up with a half point. A pesky half point that you will carry with you throughout the tourney. Of course, that half point could end up helping you at the end, but I always felt like it hurt rather than helped. Just something to be aware of.

Yeah that happened to me last year. Guy didn't show up and it became a three player group. Sucks, especially for 3rd place if they put up a solid score.

#382 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Eating the polloright now.

#383 6 years ago

I'm currently working on a mean headache at Pearson in Toronto, headed to LaGuardia next, but then I will be there! I'll probably miss early check in, so I plan on being early tomorrow.

#384 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

is that why the websites been down? to weed out the rats?

#385 6 years ago

I'm pumped!! Look for me and my backwards hats and NKY pinball shirt. Come say hello! There may be free stickers involved.

IMG_6193 (resized).JPGIMG_6193 (resized).JPG

#386 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Attention Pinburgh players: Early check-in for Pinburgh will occur today at 2 locations.

Does this mean no downtown registration this year as in years past?

#387 6 years ago

What are the options for buying beer for the hotel room? Last year we walked to several places I would have expected to sell, but I guess PA has some rules about it.

#388 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What are the options for buying beer for the hotel room? Last year we walked to several places I would have expected to sell, but I guess PA has some rules about it.

Very few convenient stores and grocery stores sell beer in Pennsylvania. I guess you have to find specific distributor stores. PA is weird about that.

#389 6 years ago

Thank you.

Friday Night make your way across the walk way to the Westin Suite we will have!!

JJ

#390 6 years ago

I think beer is still sold by the case in PA. That damn distributor lobby!

Bars and some stores sell 6-packs but you are paying full bar retail prices.

It's a good weekend to drink liquor.

#391 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I picked up my bands today at the clubhouse. Did I also check in for Pinburgh? I don't remember that being mentioned.

Rob

#392 6 years ago

I'm here. Had jimmy johns. Saw a sign for beer sales at a pizza place, didn't check prices.

Gonna go pre reg in a bit

#393 6 years ago

Headed to kickback inbetween 7-8. Hope to see some folks there.

#394 6 years ago

Jesus...you guys are concerned about beer in Pittsburgh??? It's the only city that I saw the rolling beer/bike/bar thingy that keeps riding around town while people get slaughtered. It was friggin' hysterical. Jump on that, grab a few brewskis, and get a little exercise while you're at it.

#395 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Jesus...you guys are concerned about beer in Pittsburgh??? It's the only city that I saw the rolling beer/bike/bar thingy that keeps riding around town while people get slaughtered. It was friggin' hysterical. Jump on that, grab a few brewskis, and get a little exercise while you're at it.

Granted this isn't the most high class example, yes, the AZ players do have a concern. We are coming from the land of drive thru liquor stores to a place where Circke K doesn't sell brews! The horror, the horror!

IMG_4398 (resized).PNGIMG_4398 (resized).PNG

#396 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No time for drinking on those. Too busy fighting people for the seats that don't have pedals. Haha

#397 6 years ago

Got checked in down at Kickback. Sad to see only wristbands this year and no lanyard or packet. Not a big deal but the lanyards were a nice touch for spending $220

#398 6 years ago

All checked in. Man that line sucked. Glad i was early

#399 6 years ago

Checked in - line wasn't a line more of a let's not over fill the place - ladies on the computers were superb!

#400 6 years ago

Yeah at kickbacks line is no big deal. Most people aren't in line. Have barcode on phone ready and have them sign you in for pinburgh too.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2017-pinburgh/page/8?hl=beerpressure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.