2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 138 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
    #701 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I did okay on scared stiff. I mean better than I thought. I don't count fish tales (did okay there too). Don't think I had any others with lightning flips.

SS and FT are supposed to have them, so that's not too big a deal for me. It's the 'hey, you've played this 100s of times but check this out' that kills me. I had embarrassing games of Batman and Spiderman. (neither broke single digit millions).

#702 2 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

SS and FT are supposed to have them, so that's not too big a deal for me. It's the 'hey, you've played this 100s of times but check this out' that kills me. I had embarrassing games of Batman and Spiderman. (neither broke single digit millions).

Really SS? Didn't know that. That was the first time I've played one with them. Haha

#703 2 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I just did the math. I typically think I am pretty good at SS and EM games but got ate alive on them at Pinburgh.
    DMDs - 25/39 points (64%)
    SSs - 26/51 points (51%)
    EMs - 10/30 points (33%)

I suck at DMDs. Haha

IMG_6338 (resized).PNG

#704 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xdetroit:

I think this years tournament had 330 or so players.

Number of players will end up much lower than 330 since only people who played 4 different games will count. Maybe people gave up before that. But it will not impact numbers much.

#705 2 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

Number of players will end up much lower than 330 since only people who played 4 different games will count.

Why would that be the case since someone could have theoretically make the finals with only 3 games?

#706 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why would that be the case since someone could have theoretically make the finals with only 3 games?

Must play at least 50% of qualifying games in order for them to count in the standings. Someone playing 3 is good. Even two is okay.

#707 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Must play at least 50% of qualifying games in order for them to count in the standings. Someone playing 3 is good. Even two is okay.

Must play 100% of qualifying games to count if your tournament had more than 100 people.

#708 2 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

Must play 100% of qualifying games to count if your tournament had more than 100 people.

You are correct. I've never hit those numbers so that part of the rule doesn't apply to my tournaments. Good call.

#709 2 years ago

I went 18/12/17/13 across DMD/Late/Early/EM... Which is strange cause I'm typically killing it on EMs and early SS but generally am less proficient at DMDs. (especially from a rules perspective). Even stranger is the breakdown - I rarely got skunked at an EM/Early SS, but took a ton of 3rd places on EMs (servicable, but rarely 'got hold of one') - but for the late SS I either killed it or came in last (1 3rd out of 9 games).

I never thought to break it down like this - but I'm glad I saw yours. Thank you very much for posting this kinda breakdown... This gives me a lot more to think through (skills to work on, machines to try and get in house for additional practice, etc etc...)

#710 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhorn1:

Is there going to be an official survey for ReplayFX/Pinburgh this year? I've got several comments for constructive criticism but not sure the best forum to communicate them. Short review though, ReplayFX is by FAR the best pinball show i've ever been to and Pinburgh is by FAR the best, and best run tournament I have participated in.

There will be a survey going out to all the Pinburgh participants as well as a general show survey will be posted to our social media.

#711 2 years ago
    Quoted from CosmoJoe:

They did a super job on the console area this year too! I very much liked the layout. Kudos to whoever brought in the Tandy1000 and floppies. Reminded me of the days of playing Pool of Radiance on a Tandy...good times

We had two Tandy 1000s there at the show. The one was my very first computer which I had since 1987. I'm glad you enjoyed them because they bring back lots of memories for me!

#712 2 years ago

How did you find the info on how well you did on DMD, EM's and solid states? Did you record the info as you went or is it listed somewhere? Thanks

#713 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

How did you find the info on how well you did on DMD, EM's and solid states? Did you record the info as you went or is it listed somewhere? Thanks

You can review your results at pinburgh.com or take pictures of all your score sheets. That's what I did.

#714 2 years ago

I tried making one of these lists and I gave up as I kept getting early DMDs and later DMDs conflated.

I'm pretty sure I did ok on most games but I know I need to get better on early SS Ballys. Just like last time.

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I tried making one of these lists and I gave up as I kept getting early DMDs and later DMDs conflated.
    I'm pretty sure I did ok on most games but I know I need to get better on early SS Ballys. Just like last time.

Did you play the Viking there? Whoa baby that was a bitch.

#716 2 years ago

That was a good idea to take pictures. The website shows the total points per round but I don't remember how I did on each machine anymore.

#717 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you play the Viking there? Whoa baby that was a bitch.

No. The ones everybody knows and have played 1000 times Skateball and Fathom got the better of me. Haunted House too for that matter. As usual I need the most work on the early SS games. Spent Friday night and saturday post tournament playing mostly games that had screwed me during qualifying, I have a better handle on them now. Especially Skateball.

#718 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

That was a good idea to take pictures. The website shows the total points per round but I don't remember how I did on each machine anymore.

yeah i took a pic of each score after the game and renamed the photo my player position, game name, round and outcome. also took a pic of the score sheet at the end of the round. some people had a little notebook with them that they recorded the same information.

#719 2 years ago

I took pictures last year and this year. Early SS is where I need to work on things a lot, but from C finals to low B this year is an improvement of sorts.

#720 2 years ago

For future events, can we agree to just one record the first couple of digits of score, assuming the other digits are irrelevant? It's so annoying to wait and wait for the score to come back up just so someone can figure out if it's 20,354,672 or 20,354,673...just write 20M and move on.

#721 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

For future events, can we agree to just one record the first couple of digits of score, assuming the other digits are irrelevant? It's so annoying to wait and wait for the score to come back up just so someone can figure out if it's 20,354,672 or 20,354,673...just write 20M and move on.

After the first time.. just take a picture. Or see the other group struggling.. be ready. Or just know which games suck at it and take a picture.

No reason to throw data away...

#722 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'll get around 11 or 12. Compare it to last year, which is usually a very accurate indicator of what you'll get this time:
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=12352#

Why do people's profile only show about 1/2 the number of points than this link? My points are about 1/2 of what it shows and I randomly clicked on a number of other people's profile and they are about 1/2 of the stated link as well.

#723 2 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Why do people's profile only show about 1/2 the number of points than this link? My points are about 1/2 of what it shows and I randomly clicked on a number of other people's profile and they are about 1/2 of the stated link as well.

after a year goes by the event value decays, each year, until the third year passes and it is gone off your record all together.

#724 2 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

after a year goes by the event value decays, each year, until the third year passes and it is gone off your record all together.

I was unaware of that. Thank you for the info.

#725 2 years ago

I always enjoy looking at the points by era, too:
    I was able to really crush the EM's this year on the way to the #2 seed. That, and a lot fewer 0's than years' past.

Pinburgh 2017 by era (resized).PNG

#726 2 years ago
    Quoted from timballs:

"the skill difference between the 10th and 150th best player is minimal?"

This. A million+ times this.

Quoted from timballs:

What are you referring to by individual game knowledge?

Knowing specific rules for each game, as opposed to generalized skills like live catching, drop catching, etc.

Quoted from timballs:

A top 10 player knows things about how to bump a ball off a guide rail that a top 150 player doesn't know. A top 10 play can fit the ball onto a different part of a flipper than a top 150 player can. A top 10 player can aim at a more precise part of a pinball machine than a top 150 player can.

Then they probably don't deserve to be in the top 150, IMO, and likely won't remain there for very long at all under the current points system, unless they have 15+ friends that are willing to tank big tournaments for them on a monthly basis.

Quoted from timballs:

Also, Colin was ranked 50. Not 150. That's a pretty big difference. A top 150 player might not be taking the initiative to line up every single mode in Aerosmith with a 6-ball multiball to figure out which gave the most points, but Colin was. It was clear to me that Colin had been working on "breaking in" to the elite level of pinball players in the world, and wasn't just going to accept his fate as a top 50 player for the rest of his pinball career, and that's cool, and I doubt he's done trying to improve still.

I have absolutely no clue where you're going with this. As someone that's been in the top 100 previously (most would question if it was warranted given the IFPA's point system at the time, but I really don't care, because as I've stated, the "general skills" difference between these players is so 'meh' it's almost a nonfactor...), and played against Colin far more than most people on here have, I feel like I'm pretty qualified to present a salient point as to why ranking doesn't MATTER...or shouldn't, I guess. I'm sure it MATTERS in the sense that it's a great way to pysch out your opponent if they're having to go "ERMAGERD, I'M PLAYING *WHO*?! ISN'T THAT GUY IN THE TOP 50!? I HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING THIS!" But.....if (and I realize this is a big if, okay?) you've been lucky enough to play with high level players consistently, as I have been, you start to realize that the margins between success and failure are very often razor thin. It's absurd that people consistently fail to recognize this, and I really feel like it holds a lot of people back from the competitve scene because they feel like they have no chance at all. They have no faith in themselves, or their skills, and instead of making the maximum effort, they submit to the anxiety and pressure and perform at a level far below what they're capable of. All it takes is one nervously flubbed shot to go wildly out of control and cost you a game, and possibly a tournament. That crap is just *depressing* the first few years... at least, it was for me.

It's absolutely not a big difference IMO. Case in point: https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=11767#
    Colin was 61st, I was 149th. I think we can both agree that this is basically identical to the premise you're claiming, yes, that I should've lost horribly due to the skill gap? Fact is, I didn't. I blew him out the first 3 games, he blew me out the last 4 games. This was after I went through Garret, Bob, and Jon to get there. (83, 86, and 40th at the time..) You know why I lost to Colin? See above. After he got Portal on ball 1 on Tron for game 4, I was *crushed*. Tron is usually a great game for me, I couldn't do anything with it, and he just DESTROYED it and I lost my nerve. I had a mental meltdown, and there's nobody to blame for my poor performance in those 4 games except for myself. He won, I didn't, we both (as far as I know?) had a great time. It was my best run to date against players that I consider frequently better than myself. My point is that if you're only relying on a ranking number to assess someone's knowledge or skills...you're doing yourself a huge disservice as a competitive player, and putting yourself at a disadvantage by psyching yourself out or vastly understimating someone else.

But hey...what do I know, I'm just a lowly 355, I probably don't know anything at all, lol. I'm sure that I can't win Pinburgh -right now-, but I don't feel like I'm uncompetitive, or COULDN'T EVER win Pinburgh at some point. If I had the time and money to dedicate to travelling and playing in big tournaments frequently, I fully believe that would be an achievable goal for me..but after seeing Colin do it, I'm just kind of happy with the knowledge that a guy I already felt like I could go toe-to-toe with (I'm sure he'd disagree if he can even see my posts..lol... we don't talk outside of tournaments because we are vastly different personalities that conflict...which is fine..) WON PINBURGH, and that's an extremely satisfying feeling to have, as opposed to it feeling like it's something that's completely insurmountable no matter how hard you try, which is far more in line with how I felt several years ago about pinball competition.

#727 2 years ago

Weren't you just bitching about being A restricted for the BCO and stating you were a B level player and had no chance to win A division in the BCO? Now you think you are on equal ground to Colin and could win Pinburgh if you had the means to get there and play.

Now that's funny!

#728 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmo72:

Weren't you just bitching about being A restricted for the BCO and stating you were a B level player and had no chance to win A division in the BCO? Now you think you are on equal ground to Colin and could win Pinburgh if you had the means to get there and play.
    Now that's funny!

No, what's funny is that a guy that in rage, coffin dropped a game at Pinballz during a State Champs finals thinks he can talk shit, but that's no less than I ever expect of you, Robert. Quite a few of you Austin guys go out of your way to be pricks on forums.......so am I surprised at all that someone that's made 14 posts here ever just suddenly shows up being a troll?

LMFAO...nope. I think it's hilarious that I've had no issues with you at tournaments at all, you can't ever be arsed to say these things to my face, but here we are...not sure if you thought you were going to get to hide behind a low post count for anonymity or what...but so long, farewell. You'll just join the list of people I have no reason to trust or listen to, and the next time you feel like asking me about anything at a tournament like Lexi...don't expect any help from me.

Also hilarious that a player of your experience doesn't acknowledge the value of playing in big tournaments frequently. But making a salient point wasn't the point, was it? Was far more important to just be a smartass and incendiary and look for those thumbs up of validation.

#729 2 years ago

I'm seeing the common thread here....

#730 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm seeing the common thread here....

That there's a ton of a-type personalities in competitive pinball?

#731 2 years ago

It's always easy to talk shit. Getting it done is another matter.

Beating one great player one time doesn't mean you are in the same galaxy as them. Beating a couple great players at some small tournament doesn't mean you can hang with 30 great players in a major.

I've qualified for A two consecutive years at pinburgh and I realize I have a way to go before I can dream of winning one of these things. People who don't even go shouldn't even dream of putting themselves in the conversation.

#732 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Beating one great player one time doesn't mean you are in the same galaxy as them. Beating a couple great players at some small tournament doesn't mean you can hang with 30 great players in a major.
    I've qualified for A two consecutive years at pinburgh and I realize I have a way to go before I can dream of winning one of these things. People who don't even go shouldn't even dream of putting themselves in the conversation.

Yes, but on the flipside, if you don't mentally believe you CAN, you never WILL. Talking shit? I don't believe I was talking shit anywhere on here. Colin played a ton of excellent games at Pinburgh. I said that I've felt like I've been within reach of him quite a few times...how is that talking shit? I'm not the one on here insulting people, or making assumptions about their abilities. I've played with/against the guy in a bunch of venues. There's personal experience there, not just some hairbrained idiot spewing shit from halfway across the world.

Also wish people would actually read.

Quoted from Frax:

I'm sure that I can't win Pinburgh -right now-

Not sure how this was confusing. guess I'll just drain the thread since it's obvious that it's just going to be a clusterfuck against me at this point...yay groupthink.

#733 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly! I had the pleasure of playing one of my early rounds at Pinburgh against Colin this year and finished ahead of him in 2 of the 4 games and only finished a point back in the round (7-6). It really doesn't mean anything though and he is still a far better player than I am. He stepped up and won some huge games when he had to and I choked first round of B playoffs. He's in different league altogether!

#734 2 years ago

Josh,

See all those red number. They are against the best players. You were ranked 87 at one point but that was because you spammed the 25 pt system and beat the same 8-12 people in multiple local tournaments. Now that you can't do that, your ranking is more realistic. I am not trolling or talking shit. I am stating fact. Yes, you are a solid player but winning these big tournaments requires more than just skills to blow up a Nicklerama Stern machine that has closed outlane posts and can be slide saved with one danger. It takes consistent, controlled, knowledgeable play which is difficult under pressure. I missed A finals by a point this year. On a game of GOT, I scored under a milllion in the 9th round. Not a billion. A million and got zero points. 5 million would have gotten me second..... There was no ball save or outlane posts. You missed and the ball was out. I even had multiball lit with 2 locks. 995,000....... This is not the bar or home game room. This is brutal!

After this Pinburgh 45th in A and 12th in Intergalactic I will be around 85-90 ranked. I play against the best more than you. They are that good and the idea that you are "right behind them" make me laugh at your delusions.

I don't remember Coffin Dropping anything. Yes, I have intense emotions and get very frustrated when I play badly. That is because I do feel like I can keep up with these guys on any given day. Am I in their league, NO! Am I getting closer, YES!

See you at the SCS and HAAG if you make it. You don't have to talk with me, no loss here at all.

IMG_0232 (resized).PNG

#735 2 years ago

Anybody, who won money, get the email from the new payment system?

#736 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmo72:

Josh,
    See all those red number. They are against the best players.

You completely miss the point Taz.

Frax has beaten Colin SIX TIMES, and tied him once. Clearly he is on the same level.

#737 2 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Nothing yet...

#738 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You completely miss the point Taz.
    Frax has beaten Colin SIX TIMES, and tied him once. Clearly he is on the same level.

even if you count the tie as a win, historical results show that he is closer to my level than colin's (7/24, 11/4)

#739 2 years ago

Points are up on IFPA

#740 2 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Points are up on IFPA

12.12 points for finishing 110th, lol. That is silly.

#741 2 years ago

17 points for 38th now that is silly... Answer play better...

#742 2 years ago
    Quoted from bcrage88:

17 points for 38th now that is silly... Answer play better...

I meant silly as in, that is a crazy amount of points for placing that low.

#743 2 years ago

Win a 30 person tournament will all unranked people or place 38th/796th in the toughest tournament in the world same points pretty funny but hey it is how the system works, just like you get as many points for placing top 40 as you do for top 150 lol...

Quoted from Whysnow:

#744 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If it makes you feel any better your ranking only improved a handful of spots.

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

12.12 points for finishing 110th, lol. That is silly.

10.71 for 189th. Woo Hoo.

#746 2 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

NO. hope it doesn't take forever. i miss getting cash/check in person the day you won it.

#747 2 years ago

beating people here or there means nothing. it comes down to what banks are in the finals and who has more time on those games. colin obviously has had a lot of time on the games in the bank as he was ripping em to shreds. very impressive. doubt if it was his first time playing them titles..lol. andromeda, robocop, etc. quick knowledge or rule sets on the fly are one thing, game manipulations and knowing the ins and outs of the play field geometry are another, and in order to know that, you have to have a lot of time on the titles at hand. I had major time on like 3 games of the 12 in the bank (spread between the 3 groups of games). that was my downfall. 6 of the titles I've played less than 5 times and 3 of the titles i never had played at all. its like playing blind and the 30 second practice time doesn't help at all. This is where i request that the final games in the banks at papa and pinburgh were actually announced ahead of time. This way, it gives people a chance to practice before the event and seek out the titles to actually play them. The bank in B is what i wished A bank was. that was a sweet lineup.

#748 2 years ago

Of all the tournaments, Pinburgh is designed to make you play well across all games and all eras...and with no warm up or practice.

If you ask me who the best craftsman is, it's the person who can build whatever you ask for on the spot. I'm less impressed by the person who got 50 practice attempts before having to make the one that counts.

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Of all the tournaments, Pinburgh is designed to make you play well across all games and all eras...and with no warm up or practice.
    If you ask me who the best craftsman is, it's the person who can build whatever you ask for on the spot. I'm less impressed by the person who got 50 practice attempts before having to make the one that counts.

Yep. This is by far the hardest thing I have participated in. Going up to a game you have never seen ever, ice cold, and needing a 3 to stay alive or die a horrible death. One would say that is mostly luck, but I think it's mostly skill to be able to take a game like that and learn on the fly to still get the win. (I'm looking at you blackwater 100. You suck. Haha)

#750 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

(I'm looking at you blackwater 100. You suck. Haha)

oh, that BW100 played like trash. That one was genuinely a very bad playing game.

Aside form that, I agree. I love this format! One of the best around and once I build out my final colleciton space I will run this same format in a smaller iteration. Just too much fun to be limited to once a year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 179.99
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 64.95
    $ 219.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside