Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg
    There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.
    #651 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I was there two years ago. It's true about all the PAPA machines not being available until after the competition. The only day they're all open to the public is Sunday. And yeah...that kinda sucks if you're not competing.

Minus the games used for playoffs and the games used by the Intergalactic Tournament (16 games)... all the other pinburg games were opened as soon as qualifying finished (Friday Night).

#652 6 years ago

I counted around 200 games available for free play that WERE NOT used in pinburgh. Meaning there to play all day Thursday and Friday. 100% worth the trip. Most of said games belong to the replay foundation and are/were in fine working order. More than worth the price of admission.

Then like others have said, all games outside of like 50 were available starting Friday night on.

Those vendors that had games turned off turned them off after being open for over 12 hours. I don't see why they couldn't leave them on while they weren't there, but that's their choice.

If you don't go to replayfx based off some hearsay and something you didn't experience yourself, you are truly missing out. I mean it's $25 a day. Geeze Louise. Live a little. Stop being so concerned that it's not the greatest thing ever. Just go. Have fun.

#653 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I counted around 200 games available for free play that WERE NOT used in pinburgh. Meaning there to play all day Thursday and Friday. 100% worth the trip. Most of said games belong to the replay foundation and are/were in fine working order. More than worth the price of admission.
    Then like others have said, all games outside of like 50 were available starting Friday night on.
    Those vendors that had games turned off turned them off after being open for over 12 hours. I don't see why they couldn't leave them on while they weren't there, but that's their choice.
    If you don't go to replayfx based off some hearsay and something you didn't experience yourself, you are truly missing out. I mean it's $25 a day. Geeze Louise. Live a little. Stop being so concerned that it's not the greatest thing ever. Just go. Have fun.

It's more fun to Bitch and the travel costs are much lower.

#654 6 years ago

Then I amend my previous statement. They obviously got more machines in during the past two years than they had at the first show.

And I found the first year to be pretty awesome...just exhausting doing Pinburgh.

#655 6 years ago

Tons of games to play,but majority not available till firday after 11pm.

I will say that factually a bunch of games were down on saturday. So many that I inquired to a lead tech if they no longer wanted signs put on broken games. He said they did and we spent the next 90 min doing nothing but checking out turned off games, labeling them with signs as to the issue, and turning them back off in order to help. We blew through the first 20 signs he gave us and went back for more and that was just going down the back row and then through the first outside row. It appears the move is hard on the games combined with the competitive play on thurs and fri.

#656 6 years ago

Maybe the vendors can leave keys to their games with staff when they leave so the games can stay on. The keys can be needed for stuck balls etc.

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

My question is why is there a break during the A finals? Eliminating 4 hours of play time made it tough to get all 10 games in.
    I understand the desire to highlight the top players, but I have no desire to sit there for 4 hours and watch other people play pinball. If you are interested in watching, you can always sit and watch while in the queue for your next game. Heck, my games went much faster than most single balls played in the finals.

It is VERY tough to staff this event and the TD and techs need a break as well. Pinburgh has a dinner break and so does Intergalactic.

#658 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

My friend says ReplayFX needs to rename itself to ReplaytournamentFX.. He said more than half the pins on Friday were not available til after 10:30 at night. Even some vendors had there machines turned off. Again, this is coming from a friend.. I did not go this year. Does anyone else feel this way that went and was not in the tournament?

Over 250 pins alone were available for play Thursday - Friday @ 10:30 PM.

People who purchase vendor space can set their own hours. We do not enforce them staying open all hours of the show.

#659 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I was there two years ago. It's true about all the PAPA machines not being available until after the competition. The only day they're all open to the public is Sunday. And yeah...that kinda sucks if you're not competing.

Not entirely true.

This year we had over 250 pins available from Thursday - Friday @ 10:30 PM.

On Saturday the number of 'off limits' machines falls to only 64 for Pinburgh finals and IPC.

#660 6 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Not entirely true.
    This year we had over 250 pins available from Thursday - Friday @ 10:30 PM.
    On Saturday the number of 'off limits' machines falls to only 64 for Pinburgh finals and IPC.

I amended that statement in post above in post #654:

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Then I amend my previous statement. They obviously got more machines in during the past two years than they had at the first show.
    And I found the first year to be pretty awesome...just exhausting doing Pinburgh.

#662 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Tons of games to play,but majority not available till firday after 11pm.
    I will say that factually a bunch of games were down on saturday. So many that I inquired to a lead tech if they no longer wanted signs put on broken games.

i fixed two games myself by carefully lifting them up a few inches to unstick a stuck ball.

#663 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

edit: redundant.

I finally agree with you.

#664 6 years ago

I posted earlier that I did not make it off the waitlist to compete in the tournament, but it was the wide variety of free play games that were available on Thursday and Friday that turned Pinburgh around for me. Duplicates of many of the games that were used in the tournament were available in the free play area. Modern Sterns like GoT, Metallica, and Walking Dead were available in the freeplay area from the get-go. Vendors provided Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, Star Wars, and the Jersey Jack games, and these games were up and running most of the day. The free play area also had a few machines that were modified to be controlled in different ways like upside down, on a bike, and by pushing lighted buttons on the lockdown bar. I did not touch a tournament game until the banks opened up on Friday night, and I still feel like I missed games in the free play area that were available to play.

#665 6 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

I posted earlier that I did not make it off the waitlist to compete in the tournament, but it was the wide variety of free play games that were available on Thursday and Friday that turned Pinburgh around for me. Duplicates of many of the games that were used in the tournament were available in the free play area. Modern Sterns like GoT, Metallica, and Walking Dead were available in the freeplay area from the get-go. Vendors provided Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, Star Wars, and the Jersey Jack games, and these games were up and running most of the day. The free play area also had a few machines that were modified to be controlled in different ways like upside down, on a bike, and by pushing lighted buttons on the lockdown bar. I did not touch a tournament game until the banks opened up on Friday night, and I still feel like I missed games in the free play area that were available to play.

I played at least 20 games in the free play area Friday. then probably another 15-20 in the Tournament area Saturday. Most of the games were in very nice shape and played quite well. I did find my self-wishing I had played the tournament know that I would not do well it still looked like fun

#666 6 years ago

The free play area of ReplayFX was amazing this year. The only downside is that I didn't see the bicyclepowered game sooner.

#667 6 years ago
    Quoted from earthvsmattGR:

The free play area of ReplayFX was amazing this year. The only downside is that I didn't see the bicyclepowered game sooner.

I was rockin' the bike game and Whysnow came and gave me a lil' extra resistance unbeknownst to me. haha super funny, I thought maybe it was setup to get harder over time or something at first, until I hear him laughing at me

#668 6 years ago
    Quoted from earthvsmattGR:

They did a super job on the console area this year too! I very much liked the layout. Kudos to whoever brought in the Tandy1000 and floppies. Reminded me of the days of playing Pool of Radiance on a Tandy...good times

#669 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I DESTROYED this one in round 9 and it helped me secure my bye with a 10 point round. Yeah it's a stupid game but pretty easy to deal with. Left flipper just sent it up toward the orbit and right I sent it to the right of the pops. Lots of ski passing. Got 2.5 billion on this one. First time I played it! Kinda sums up pinburgh you gotta learn and adapt super quick on stuff you are unfamiliar with.
    Super dopey game but I liked the sound and music. Looked like something a company about to go out of business would put out with all their leftover parts - probably exactly what it was! (I think Gottlieb actually closed for a month around this time)

What's a ski pass?

#670 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I was rockin' the bike game and Whysnow came and gave me a lil' extra resistance unbeknownst to me. haha super funny, I thought maybe it was setup to get harder over time or something at first, until I hear him laughing at me

that was a blast!

so much fun playing all the olympics typs games with you! I want one of the simon says mechs they had on sopranos!

#671 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What's a ski pass?

Think 'ski jump'

Hold flipper up... ball is rolling at speed and jumps to the other side.

#672 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What's a ski pass?

When you simply extend the flipper and allow a ball with enough momentum to jump over the gap and land in controllable fashion on the other flipper or inlane. Not sure if I got the term right.

Something you'll do a lot if you see a game has very shallow flippers.

#673 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that was a blast!
    so much fun playing all the olympics typs games with you! I want one of the simon says mechs they had on sopranos!

Did you guys see the Simon tri zone? I couldn't quite understand how it worked, but essentially you would hit a drop target, then the game would start a Simon game with the drop target insert lights. Then you'd have to remember the order and hit the drops in that order.

#674 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you guys see the Simon tri zone? I couldn't quite understand how it worked, but essentially you would hit a drop target, then the game would start a Simon game with the drop target insert lights. Then you'd have to remember the order and hit the drops in that order.

oh wow, no we didnt see that one.

we played sopranos a few times trying to start a multiball. Whysnow was successful, his wife and myself not so much

I think that setup would be great for parties! They should produce those if its feasible

#675 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

we played sopranos a few times trying to start a multiball. Whysnow was successful, his wife and myself not so much
    I think that setup would be great for parties! They should produce those if its feasible

I've thought about producing a small run of Button Bash but didn't think anyone would be interested with what would probably be a high price and the complexity/limitations for setup. Glad you enjoyed it!

#676 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When you simply extend the flipper and allow a ball with enough momentum to jump over the gap and land in controllable fashion on the other flipper or inlane. Not sure if I got the term right.

happens a lot on Meteor.

#677 6 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

I've thought about producing a small run of Button Bash but didn't think anyone would be interested with what would probably be a high price and the complexity/limitations for setup. Glad you enjoyed it!

Karl, you def should. It's great.

#678 6 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

I will take one!!!! PLEASE make it and put me at the top of the list.

Would it be possible to program a sequence also? Would be cool to have options with it.

I was thinking of different modes to set it on.
    1. Random (like it is)
    2. Double tap (every lit button can be hit 2x before it changes) This would allow trap and then shoot
    3. 3 strike (you get 3 wrong buttons before lock out for 2 seconds)
    4. Real simon says type mode. The mech flashes 1 button sequence. Do the sequence and earn 1 flip. Then 2 button sequence. Do the sequence and earn 2 flips. etc... Maybe make this the way to start each plunged ball and it allows bonus flips or strikes to be used during that ball.

probably lots of fun ways to incorporate.

#679 6 years ago

I didn't get around to trying button bash. Is it smart enough to make you suffer if you just hit all three at once?

#680 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I didn't get around to trying button bash. Is it smart enough to make you suffer if you just hit all three at once?

yup, screw up and it is something like a 2 second lock out where all 3 flash to tell you that you screwed up. hopefully you managed to get the ball up the pf during lock out.

It feels like FOREVER during the lock out.

#681 6 years ago

Vancouver Flip-Out returns as the largest tournament in Canada September 22-24, 2017. We're extremely proud to be part of the 2017-18 PAPA Circuit, recognized as one of the premier tournaments in North America.

As in 2016, there will also be OPEN, Classic, Women, Junior, and restricted Knockout tournaments.

Please note that the tournaments start a day earlier than the Expo, on Thursday September 21, with doors opening at 4pm. Playing early is highly recommend to avoid long lines waiting to play, and to ensure you have sufficient time to play all of your games, especially in the Main division.

$10,000 in prizes, in the form of cash, trophies, plaques, and pinball memorabilia to be awarded across all tournaments!

Tix available at www.VancouverFlipOut.com

Hope to see you there!

VFO2017-Knockout (resized).jpgVFO2017-Knockout (resized).jpg

VFO2017-Open (resized).jpgVFO2017-Open (resized).jpg

VFO2017-JuniorJam (resized).jpgVFO2017-JuniorJam (resized).jpg

VFO2017-Womens (resized).jpgVFO2017-Womens (resized).jpg

VFO2017-JurrassicClassics (resized).jpgVFO2017-JurrassicClassics (resized).jpg

#682 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I was thinking of different modes to set it on.
    1. Random (like it is)
    2. Double tap (every lit button can be hit 2x before it changes) This would allow trap and then shoot
    3. 3 strike (you get 3 wrong buttons before lock out for 2 seconds)
    4. Real simon says type mode. The mech flashes 1 button sequence. Do the sequence and earn 1 flip. Then 2 button sequence. Do the sequence and earn 2 flips. etc... Maybe make this the way to start each plunged ball and it allows bonus flips or strikes to be used during that ball.
    probably lots of fun ways to incorporate.

Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can do. Any changes/production would be months away as my plate is very full right now between Critical Hit / Pinball at the Lake (which is where these crazy things debut each year) / INDISC prep / Never-ending DTM development.

The button lockout right now is only 1/2 second, it just feels much longer when you panic

#683 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cool. I do that a lot on GB.

#684 6 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can do. Any changes/production would be months away as my plate is very full right now between Critical Hit / Pinball at the Lake (which is where these crazy things debut each year) / INDISC prep / Never-ending DTM development.
    The button lockout right now is only 1/2 second, it just feels much longer when you panic

I also want a set of critical hit (missed you at replayfx); both 3 strik and match play please.

Also, THANKS for all you do!

#685 6 years ago

curious, how long does it take for results to get posted to IFPA?

anyone remember form previosu years?

just curious how many wpprs I get for 103rd

#686 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It takes a while. Maybe a month. It's almost 800 players.

Here is my last game on XMen. And you thought my tournaments were hard.

IMG_3622 (resized).JPGIMG_3622 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3624 (resized).JPGIMG_3624 (resized).JPG

#687 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

103rd in A around 11-12pt's.

#688 6 years ago

meh... they left the inlane/outlane post in

Should have seen that stupid RBION. No plunger, had to autolaunch with flippers which caused the ball to barely start inner orbit then drain to right outlane. Had to attempt to nudge on the rollback to even play a ball. oh yeah... lightning flippers added also and right flipper so spongy you couldn't do much.

Thing was a joke of a game.

I think sometimes they think they are making a game tougher but instead it plays so bad it is not worth being in the event.

#689 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Should have seen that stupid RBION. No plunger, had to autolaunch with flippers which caused the ball to barely start inner orbit then drain to right outlane. Had to attempt to nudge on the rollback to even play a ball. oh yeah... lightning flippers added also and right flipper so spongy you couldn't do much.
    I think sometimes they think they are making a game tougher but instead it plays so bad it is not worth being in the event.

I also played that RBION in tourney.... Ugh.

#690 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I had to play that last year. It gave me the ball back three times in a row after instant drains, with no mention of ball save, so we flagged a TD and they said something about it just doing that. I guess it just wasn't a valid PF yet, but it sure made the people I was playing against cranky.

#691 6 years ago

I will bet the farm that GoT and Lost in Space have lightning Flippers for 2018. :p

#692 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I had to play that last year. It gave me the ball back three times in a row after instant drains, with no mention of ball save, so we flagged a TD and they said something about it just doing that. I guess it just wasn't a valid PF yet, but it sure made the people I was playing against cranky.

for me it would always catch enough spinner switches on autoplunge to validate pf and then drain after ball save was immediately gone.

#693 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I will bet the farm that GoT and Lost in Space have lightning Flippers for 2018. :p

Great so I will score less than 6 million on LIS next year. Yay!

#694 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Cool. I do that a lot on GB.

Yes perfect example and shallow flipper game. I do it on GB any time the ball rolls down the outside inlanes.

#695 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You'll get around 11 or 12. Compare it to last year, which is usually a very accurate indicator of what you'll get this time:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=12352#

#696 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'll get around 11 or 12. Compare it to last year, which is usually a very accurate indicator of what you'll get this time:
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=12352#

Here is the link to last years Intergalactic Pinball Championship. Last year had less players though. I think this years tournament had 330 or so players.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=14370#

#697 6 years ago

Is there going to be an official survey for ReplayFX/Pinburgh this year? I've got several comments for constructive criticism but not sure the best forum to communicate them. Short review though, ReplayFX is by FAR the best pinball show i've ever been to and Pinburgh is by FAR the best, and best run tournament I have participated in.

#698 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great so I will score less than 6 million on LIS next year. Yay!

ditto.. I won LIS this year, but was notoriously garbage on any machine with lightning flips...

#699 6 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

ditto.. I won LIS this year, but was notoriously garbage on any machine with lightning flips...

I did okay on scared stiff. I mean better than I thought. I don't count fish tales (did okay there too). Don't think I had any others with lightning flips.

#700 6 years ago

I just did the math. I typically think I am pretty good at SS and EM games but got ate alive on them at Pinburgh.

DMDs - 25/39 points (64%)
    SSs - 26/51 points (51%)
    EMs - 10/30 points (33%)

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2017-pinburgh/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.