Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.55.59 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3831 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2536 (resized).png
    IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5170 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4884 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4784 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4544 (resized).jpg

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.
    #501 6 years ago

Finished 103 overall which i am pleased with. Lots of fun and stiff competition.

#502 6 years ago

Missed b division playoffs by a few points. Had some shit games and calls in my final rounds, but managed to snag a perfect round this morning. Happy to get a medallion.

This was my first big tournament and it all went well, just a frustrating finish.

#503 6 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Missed b division playoffs by a few points. Had some shit games and calls in my final rounds, but managed to snag a perfect round this morning. Happy to get a medallion.
    This was my first big tournament and it all went well, just a frustrating finish.

Hear ya there. Congrats on the medallion.

#504 6 years ago

I still find the logic of Pinburgh competition somewhat mystifying...

#505 6 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I think I was in your last group with you. It was a good time. I failed to qualify in B,but that was expected as I had no business being in B to begin with.

#506 6 years ago

Crazy Levi got himself a first round bye in A.

He's also confused and frightened by the finals bank but that's pretty much half of pinburgh anyway so let's see how it goes tomorrow. We can wing this shit.

#507 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess C restriction didnt mean anything
    Somehow I qualified in A. HAve to say this appears and insirmountable mountain to climb in the structure, but should be another super fun day of pinball. Maybe they can come up with an algorithm for future years to better divide based on relative spread after five rounds.
    A division spread is from 50 to 33 w 247 people
    B division spread is from 32.5 to 30 w 197 people
    C division spread is from 29 to 27 w 190 people
    Seems to me like it is time for a fifth division,the A-/b+ division. Even from qualifying at 40th in A down to the bottom is a spread from 39 to 33. I can see why so many strategically sandbag in rounds 4 and 5 on day one after going through it. Just a thought while going through the experience.
    Initial thought is that top 100 should be A. That gives a spread of 50 to 36 and only 3 point difference from qualifying 40th (39) to 100th(36). Sitting down with the data and running some stats would come up with an eloquent and logocal way to make these divisions in a manner that makes for more total fun/ competition I think. I say that since the most fun competitive rounds are when you have four even matched players and a relatively level chance of playing well against each other across a bank with opportunity to see each others strength and weakness on the various era games.
    TLDR! Maybe think about adjusting A to have a more reasonable spread for future years.
    these thoughts may shift after Day 2 but always fun to put them out as a thinking point in real time.
    GOod luck today everyone and hope you all have a great time! Be excellent to each other!
    Edit to add: Jeffrey D, find me today if you read this. FOrgot to get you something after the last round yesterday.

This all holds true IMHO after day 2. In short, division of 250 is WAY to large and a spread of 17 is crazy.
    My thought is that a truncated bell curve and 5 divisions would make this a better competitive event.
    A at 120
    B at 180
    C at 200
    D at 180
    E at 120

That is a more competitive and better setup for most this year.

#508 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This all holds true IMHO after day 2. In short, division of 250 is WAY to large and a spread of 17 is crazy.
    My thought is that a truncated bell curve and 5 divisions would make this a better competitive event.
    A at 120
    B at 180
    C at 200
    D at 180
    E at 120
    That is a more competitive and better setup for most this year.

I think this is a bad idea. Too many divisions. Keep four. What they probably will do as more people are allowed to play is make the finals allow more people in.

If you're too far behind in your division after day one, practice and play better day one next year.

#509 6 years ago

My opinion is there's no inherent value to slicing the divisions thinner. No matter what system you implement, you will literally always have a certain percentage that will seek to game that system for their benefit. I understand that getting into the bottom of A makes the prospects of playoffs a very unlikely goal, but reaching A is an achievement and a goal accomplished in itself.

You also dont want a system where everyone still has a chance to win after two full days of playing, because otherwise those days would lack meaning.

#510 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think this is a bad idea. Too many divisions. Keep four. What they probably will do as more people are allowed to play is make the finals allow more people in.
    If you're too far behind in your division after day one, practice and play better day one next year.

If you want to make the tournament better then you have to evolve as it grows and dynamics change. i will need some time at home on the PC to run through numbers, but gesthalt tells me that a 17 point gap in A bracket qualifiers after five rounds is just plain silly and comparatively the B and C divisions ran more competitively.

Spreads after round 10:
    A was 93-58
    B was 74-44
    C was 74-41
    D was 44-15

Spread of those that qualify in each:
    A was 93-72
    B was 74-65
    C was 74-62
    D was 44-34

Pretty easy to see the disparity. Pretty obvious that B and C were the most competitive rounds.

And now for the quick stat that really makes things clear... ONLY 6 out of 40 qualifiers in A were lower than 100 ranking after five rounds. Of those six, two were restricted and used their low starting position in A to capitalize points from the day 2 seeding to catapult up quickly (i.e. They had a rough day 1 but are obvious solid A players and took points from the ducks in rounds 6, 7, 8).
    Basically if you were anywhere from 101 to 256 rank after day 1 then you are in A division and fighting for 4 slots. What is the point of making an A bracket with 250 people when you know the top 100 after five rounds are going to take 90% of the qualifying slots.

This is all with the assumption that this is supposed to be built around a good competition and 2 full days of accurate placement for competiton based on skill level. Mathematically, it makes sense for players to be sandbagging in round 5 currently. If the system does not evelove then peopel will continue to do so and locigally the system is set up for it.

Play better is a poor stance IMHO, if you actually care about competitive pinball and making it actually more competitive

#511 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think I was in your last group with you. It was a good time. I failed to qualify in B,but that was expected as I had no business being in B to begin with.

Set 1? With broken Lotr and angry taf?

#512 6 years ago

No live stream yet? Anybody knows where it will be?

#513 6 years ago

The big takeaway from Hiltons point is that the point spreads for the move to divisions seem slanted wrong. If you don't count players forced in by restrictions, all of B was within like 3 points, and all of C was within 3 points, but the spread in A was much larger.

It seems to me like D should be the big division. If A is so big, no 'pro' players are fighting to get into A because, omg, there might not be enough room.

#514 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pmuis:

No live stream yet? Anybody knows where it will be?

Usually not until a few rounds in to the finals.

#515 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Usually not until a few rounds in to the finals.

uggggh.. NEED IT NEYOW.

#516 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Play better is a poor stance IMHO, if you actually care about competitive pinball and making it actually more competitive

I like it just the way it is. EXTREMELY hard to make the final 40 in A.

#517 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The big takeaway from Hiltons point is that the point spreads for the move to divisions seem slanted wrong. If you don't count players forced in by restrictions, all of B was within like 3 points, and all of C was within 3 points, but the spread in A was much larger.
    It seems to me like D should be the big division. If A is so big, no 'pro' players are fighting to get into A because, omg, there might not be enough room.

The skill curve is not linear. You should expect the curve to get steeper as you get to the top players. Hence, the gap between a range of players will get wider.

The further down the line you go... skill goes down and randomness impact goes up... you will see more of a move to the middle.

A div will inherently grow because people get good enough... but not good enough to make that upper percentage.

This whole topic is a function of the skill curve... and trying to apply 1/4 logic to split the field. The root problem is where the natural breaks in the curve where people 'have a chance' against the top of their peers isn't anywhere near the 200/200/200/200 splits.

But you have to have a formula... and we are basing off performance, not measured skill/capacity.

Hiltons point about where you are after day one and what that means to your chances are true... solutions could include wiping scores after open division play. And maybe shortening open division play to improve the spreads within the groups.

#518 6 years ago

buffalo filming a bit of D division and he showed that papatv is setting up

#519 6 years ago

What time are the tournament pins open to free play Saturday?
    I don't want to pay another $60 today to not be able to play 70% of the games.

#520 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

What time are the tournament pins open to free play Saturday?
    I don't want to pay another $60 today to not be able to play 70% of the games.

The vast majority are open now. Only about 12 banks are used for finals.

#521 6 years ago

Thanks

#522 6 years ago

Elwin is dominating almost 10 points clear after qualifying rounds, that's impressive!!

Best of luck levi and congrats Hilton finishing just outside of the top 100 is an impressive feat with so many quality players.

#523 6 years ago

Any one have the link for the live streaming? Will it be on YouTube?

#524 6 years ago

RGR Yes, will be on youtube

#525 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Any one have the link for the live streaming? Will it be on YouTube?

Supposed to be on PAPA's YouTube channel when they start streaming it: https://www.youtube.com/user/PAPApinball

#526 6 years ago

Ill be wandering in and out of the show today in a ninja turtles shirt.

I will have my pinside badge around my neck as well. Thanks JJ!! Gexchange

#527 6 years ago

What's the game lineup for A division finals?

#528 6 years ago

Are the pinburgh 2017 t-shirts for sale? I want one

#529 6 years ago

live on youtube papatv

#530 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beerpressure:

Are the pinburgh 2017 t-shirts for sale? I want one

All sold out yesterday

A few other designs still available though

#531 6 years ago

where the hell is the stream on yourtube?

#533 6 years ago

PAPA stream starts up around 5pm?

#534 6 years ago
    Quoted from dfsays:

PAPA stream starts up around 5pm?

i cant find anything live anywhere

#535 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

i cant find anything live anywhere

I think they are still setting up.

#536 6 years ago

When can the general public play the roped off games?

#538 6 years ago

Just got back home. I had a stellar time as usual and the wife actually came along. She was pretty stoked that she was able to add some new favorites to here list, which means I got a new excuse to buy more games. Finally got to play Dialed in, and the new Star wars so that was great and the selection that was available for free play on the floor was the best that I have seen it since RFX's very first show. Keep up the great work and we'll be back again next year.

Oh!! Is anyone here a parent of the 14 year old boy that was in the tournament? The wife and I spoke with him a little as we noticed how great of a player he is. Hopefully he sticks with it because we need his generation to continue the pinball legacy.

#539 6 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

All sold out yesterday
    A few other designs still available though

Disappointed that I didn't get one. Real cool design.

#540 6 years ago

Had a great time, finished 66th overall, 3 points out of A division.

Tons of fun, thank you to everyone who I played with or against this weekend, you were all awesome! Also thanks to Whysnow for the free Madison Pinball t-shirt, he was giving them out to everyone who beat him in the swiss rounds, which is a pretty cool idea.

#541 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Oh!! Is anyone here a parent of the 14 year old boy that was in the tournament?

Was his name Escher? If so, he's the reigning PAPA World Champion

#542 6 years ago

was a great tourney, got into C, probably higher than I should have been on day 1 but then played like a chimp on the second day, but loved every minute of it. Super

#543 6 years ago

Anyone need a last minute wristband for today? I won't be going and am happy to Han off. Im at the omni but leaving soonish

#544 6 years ago

Highly highly recommend staying at the crown plaza in green tree. 300 bucks for 4 nights, free shuttles to the convention center. We would have to Uber coming back so late but was always 10-20 tops depending on the time and up charges.

#545 6 years ago

I noticed the group assignments were different this year going into round 10 from last year. Just wondering if this was a mistake or the rules were not up to date. Previous year had 1-2-3-4 in group 10 and this year it was 1-32-33-64.
    Had a lot of fun. Made A Division for the first time. Looking forward to 2018.

IMG_2027 (resized).PNGIMG_2027 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2028 (resized).PNGIMG_2028 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2029 (resized).PNGIMG_2029 (resized).PNG

#546 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I noticed the group assignments were different this year going into round 10 from last year. Just wondering if this was a mistake or the rules were not up to date. Previous year had 1-2-3-4 in group 10 and this year it was 1-32-33-64.
    Had a lot of fun. Made A Division for the first time. Looking forward to 2018.

I heard about this and heard some players were not very happy about it.

#547 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Was his name Escher? If so, he's the reigning PAPA World Champion

He didn't say

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I heard about this and heard some players were not very happy about it.

Were the changes announced or pointed out to the players before the tourney began? I don't recall seeing any update mentioning them anywhere.

Also on changes to the byes in the final rounds from Top 8 get 2, 9-16 get one, was changed to top 4 get 2, and 5-16 get 1.

#549 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Were the changes announced or pointed out to the players before the tourney began? I don't recall seeing any update mentioning them anywhere.
    Also on changes to the byes in the final rounds from Top 8 get 2, 9-16 get one, was changed to top 4 get 2, and 5-16 get 1.

both changes appeared to put more emphasis on qualifying high by round 9. Gives the top dogs a potentially 'easier' walk off homer in round 10 to maintain position and just jockey around the few slots where they already were, rather than the inverse of someone in top 4 getting booted in a bad round 10.

I was told the change was due to some people in round 10 last year colluding to all take 6 and maintain same position so this was a way to counter act. I think the pendulum swung a bit too far.

Maybe 1, 5, 9, 12 would have been better?

Heck even 1, 9, 16, 24 seems like abetter spot to settle.

#550 6 years ago

Some more pictures. First one was the story of my tournament. Couldve totally gotten 1st, but got third.

IMG_6250 (resized).JPGIMG_6250 (resized).JPG

A calzone from Bella Notte that was humongus. Almost ate it all though.

IMG_6274 (resized).JPGIMG_6274 (resized).JPG

Cool games I got to play

IMG_6255 (resized).JPGIMG_6255 (resized).JPG

IMG_6277 (resized).JPGIMG_6277 (resized).JPG

IMG_6259 (resized).JPGIMG_6259 (resized).JPG

IMG_6257 (resized).JPGIMG_6257 (resized).JPG

IMG_6258 (resized).JPGIMG_6258 (resized).JPG

IMG_6256 (resized).JPGIMG_6256 (resized).JPG

IMG_6255 (resized).JPGIMG_6255 (resized).JPG

Two drunk girls walked up to us and asked if we were playing a Jackie Chan game. HAHA.

IMG_6321 (resized).JPGIMG_6321 (resized).JPG

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2017-pinburgh/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.