Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg
0Toledo-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

A minor issue, but I really love the knocker going off as I play! I have a Williams Toledo that has a replay score at 75,000 81,000 and 102,000. The knocker goes off and adds a ball at the 75,000 score, but not the other two higher replay scores. I don't see what adjusts that in the cabinet, and I can't seem to find it in the schematic. Any ideas? My Bally Old Chicago does the same thing, it rewards on the first high score, but not the second. Maybe I just misunderstand how it rewards on the play..? I am somewhat new to all of this.
Thank you
Walt

#2 7 years ago

Adjustment plugs for both machines are in the head.

If properly set, either the 1000's or 10000's score reel contact board is dirty or has broken wires or the player up unit has issues.

#3 7 years ago

I didn't realize that was what those were for! Confusing though, but it looks like they are plugged in correctly. I guess I'll have to check the board, etc and go from there.
Thanks for the reply,
Walt

#4 7 years ago

There is a contact on the 1000's Relay that needs to be clean and in good adjustment. Also, there is a setting for Replay/Extra Ball/ Novelty mode. If in Novelty mode; nothing happens when the scores are attained.

Does the credit unit step up when a coin switch is activated for say a quarter to give two plays? a switch could be open on the credit unit or a wire could be cut on the step up coil. I'll assume the step up coil is good. Credit units have a max credit adjustment. Lowest is 5 credits on Williams machines.

#5 7 years ago

The machine is set up for free play, someone tied the coil shut that is on the coin door, so I assume that is how it gets the free plays. Also, the spring is weak on the credit unit, it stops going down at 9, so I assume that is partly why I get free plays as well...?
It adds credits if I play and get them, so each play from there does decrease the credits. (down to 9).
The setting you mention is on 'extra ball' mode, so that should be ok.

If I click the score wheel by hand up to 99990, the 100,000 light will come on (but no knocker) on the next click (which puts the score wheel to 00000), but if I am actually playing (and manage to get to that point), the light does not come on, and the knocker does not work.
I can double check the 1000 relay, but I've cleaned and adjusted it...?
Walt

#6 7 years ago

You are all over the place.
Fix each issue.
You mentioned the setting for "extra ball". That should be the reason you are not getting replays for the score settings.

The coil on the coin door is just part of the coin lockout system. Most people cut the wires to stop the buzz and bend or force the armature plate in the "energized" position so coins will be accepted.

Free play involves tying two wires on the credit unit together or intentionally misadjusting a switch on it.

#7 7 years ago

Hi Walt
I also would like to stick to "ONE problem at a time". See it positive: You are rewarded with an Extraball at the score of 75'000. So lets look at the question "is Walt rewarded at the score of 71'000 - when he has set the adjustment to 71'000" ? Same question with 72'000, 73'000, 74'000, 76'000, 77'000, 78'000, 79'000, 80'000.
When these questions are answered: We proceed to next problem / questions (?).

Do You have a schematics ? From another topic I have an incomplete schematics.
I believe to read: The Plug on wire-color-orange is for the range 71'000, 72'000 ... 80'000. The Plug on wire-color-black is for the range 81'000, 82'000 ... 90'000. The Plug on wire-color-grey is for the range 91'000, 92'000 ... 100'000.
See my JPG - I draw an orange line for "to gain an Extraball at score-75'000". My "dashed green line" is for "to gain an Extraball at score-73'000".

Look here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2577&picno=24596 in the upper left corner I see 10 sockets - question: Is in Your pin "wire-orange" plugged-in into a socket ? If "YES": Mark the socket as "5". Then unplug the wire-orange and plug-in into ANOTHER Socket and try the pin - question: Do You get an extraball ? At a score in the range of 71'000 to 80'000 ? Mark each socket with the appropriate number "7" or "3" or "2" or "9" or "0" - question: Do You get an Extraball on EACH socket as You plug-in wire-orange into the socket ?

Then You may try wire-black for the range 81'000 to 90'000, then You may try wire-grey for the range 91'000 to 100'000. Please write about these tests, greetings Rolf

P.S.: I have some troubles uploading pictures --- FIRST: NOT shown - I then try a second, third time to upload --- all of a sudden I see the JPG three times --- THIRD problem: I cannot delete ...

0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

That test looks like a good one to try. I may not get to it until the weekend. The setting is set up for 'free play', but still has the same issue, so I'll try your test.
Also, something else I just noticed that may mean something. It has a paper tag stapled to the cabinet that reads "To set replay score of 100,000 or over, remove jumper wire from player one and player two 100,000 relays." It shows a little picture of the relays, but I can't make heads or tails out of it. I don't get it...is this related...? If so, any idea which wires to cut?
The other paper tag is there to show the scoring jumper wire plugs too that you are talking about, so I finally figured out how to plug them in. I can do the test and report...
Thanks,
Walt

#9 7 years ago

Hi Walt
we use the term "free play" when we talk about "We are used to start a new game by pressing the 'Start- / Replay-Button on the front near the player' --- but there are (by now) NO REPLAYS on the Replay-Counter --- MUST we throw-in a coin to get credits ?"
- pin is NOT set to "free play": Yes, we must throw-in a coin.
- pin is set to "free play": Setting to "free play is cheating a bit on the pin" - we can press the "Start- / Replay-Button" the pin tries to decrement the Replay-Counter - no harm - mechanically impossible --- BUT (due to a little hack) the pin DOES start a new game. (((A nice little hack)))

The paper tag (post-8, to set replay score ...): The pin can have two settings
AAA: Each wire with its range (example 21'000 to 30'000) rewards the player with an Replay or Extraball (adjustable by Adj. Plug) in the range "21'000 to 30'000" AND also in the range "121'000 to 130'000" --- example 27'000 and 127'000.
BBB: The mentioned above is true for wire-color-orange (71'000 to 80'000 / 171'000 to 180'000) , wire-color-black (81'000 to 90'000 / 181'000 to 190'000), wire-color-grey (91'000 to 100'000 / 191'000 to 200'000), The mentioned above is NOT TRUE for the other wires , ranges - these other wires / ranges ONLY reward ABOVE / MORE THAN 100'000 points.

You can change from AAA to BBB and vice versa by using the two Jumper-Wires on the two relays (one per relay) indicating "player has reached 100'000". Put-in the Jumper-Wires and You have situation AAA, remove the Jumper-Wires and You have situation BBB.

See the JPG in post-7 on top, my "red line", wire in the pin of color "purple" for the range 11'000 to 20'000: Either the relay is truely pulling and so the "encircled red Switch" therefore is closed --- OR we JUMPER THIS Switch - we make THIS Switch beeing closed FOREVER (and we have situation AAA).

Please do the tests mentioned in post-7 --- I would like to know "Does wire-orange rewards in EVERY setting 71'000 AND 72'000 AND 73'000 AND 74'000 AND 75'000 AND 76'000 AND 77'000 AND 78'000 AND 79'000 AND 80'000" ? Greetings Rolf

#10 7 years ago

The game is set up for free play by way of the coin door coil tied closed, and a weak credit wheel spring as I mentioned earlier, so for now I can live with that unless you suggest otherwise.

I tried your test which was great, it taught me how this credit system works, so I was able to grasp the working concept on that part.
First off though, it has 8 color wires for the extra credits, not 6. The score sheet on the playfield states extra replay for 71,000 (orange wire) and 85,000 (black wire) and 102,000 (purple wire). Both the 71,000 and 85,000 do credit me with a 'knock' (which I must have!) and a credit at the correct points. The 102,000 however, does not credit me on the credit wheel, nor my knock! Also, the 100,000 light will not come on as the score wheel rolls past 00000. So it seems to me that something does not signal correctly beyond 99999 to signal these certain things to work..?

Walt

#11 7 years ago

That's a coin lockout coil on the front door. It has nothing to do with "free play" mode.

#12 7 years ago

Can you tell me what that does being tied closed?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from nightfire:

Can you tell me what that does being tied closed?

Coin Lockout system. It locks coins out when denergized. Such as when game is off/unplugged. A kid puts in a coin into a dark game thinking it will turn on. When it doesn't he starts crying. Adults start kicking the machine etc. Instead of a problem, the machine is smart. Yours being tied/forced in the "energized" position will always allow valid coins to be accepted.

It also denergizes when the game is powered once the credit/Replay unit is at the maximum position.

#14 7 years ago

I'm still learning. Thanks a bunch for the schooling!
Walt

#15 7 years ago

Hi Walt
I repeat my "asking You to do, end of post-9" --- I would like to know "Does wire-orange rewards in EVERY setting 71'000 AND 72'000 AND 73'000 AND 74'000 AND 75'000 AND 76'000 AND 77'000 AND 78'000 AND 79'000 AND 80'000" ?
IF (if, if): the 72'000 feature works: We ONLY have the problem of "100'000 Relay NOT pulling / faulty wiring".
IF (if, if) the 72'000 feature does NOT work: We may have the fault in the "2000 path" AND /OR "100'000 path". I would like to know - instead of guessing, greetings Rolf

#16 7 years ago

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted me to try in all positions. YES...the orange wire works in all the bonus settings including 72,000
Walt

#17 7 years ago

Hi Walt
thanks for testing. Good - the High-Score-Adjustment-Socket "...two-thousand" works - we have to check the rest of the path. Look at "post-7, JPG, 'my red lines' " - to and through the "1st. Player 100'000 Relay". In an earlyer post You mentioned "this relay does NOT actuate".
An excellent place to read: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm and here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo a video about Gottlieb Interlock-Type Relays. No need to study the video --- ONLY look at (time) 1:27 to 1:42. See such relays have TWO stable positions. When the pin is unplugged - can You toggle YOUR Relay back and forth ?

Start a new game ... pin gives first ball. THEN make some 10 / 100 points, then manually move the relay - question: Does the 100'000 light light-up ? (would be nice) Then make more points - are You rewarded when You make the (100'000 and) 2 thousand points ? (would be nice) Greetings Rolf

#18 7 years ago

Rolf,
I manually worked the relay with game off, it works fine. I did as you stated and started the pin, added some points, toggled the 100,000 relay by hand. The 100,000 light came on. I then hit targets to get to the 102,000. The credit was issued and the knocker hit!
Walt

#19 7 years ago

Hi Walt
great - the fault is only: The 100'000 points relays do not get activated. See the JPG - a Switch on the Reset-Relay must close when the Reset is over and the Reset-Relay let go --- wires soldered-on ? contact points clean ? Switch truely closes ?

When a player makes some 10'000 points - the plunger on the wheel / unit travels --- at end of travel the plunger closes for a moment a switch (well my questions to switch again) - the "Drum-Unit End-of-Stroke-Switch". ALSO on the Score-Drum is somewhere something CLOSING on 9th position --- I do NOT know the Toledo-pin --- I AM GUESSING: See here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK go to here (1977-78) http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html go to page -14, -15, -16, -17. On the bottom to the left there is a magnifying glass.

In Your pin --- at the Score-Drum: Look for a bakelite plate - look for wires of the shown colors - step the Score-Drum through the positions --- at NINTH position the connection should be made.
LOOK for WIRES of the COLOR shown in the JPG, greetings Rolf

P.S.: MAYBE (maybe) we must investigate in the connecting wires of "soldered-on at switch on Reset-Relay" - question: Is the Reset-Relay IN YOUR pin in the CABINET: Then some Jones-plugs ? --- OR IS YOUR Reset-Relay also in the Backbox ? (No Jones-Plugs involved)

0Toledo-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

Rolf,
After trying different things, I think the relay is weak...? It only happens on player 1. I can toggle the 100,000 relay by hand and it works. If I play through it as a game, it does not. The ninth position makes it's contact through the switch and to the relay, but the relay does not engage. If I power the player 2 relay with a test lead, it kicks in. If I power my problem player 1 relay, it does not kick in. However, during one test run, the relay did work, but only once in about 10 tries.
The relays for this are located in the backbox.
Thanks, Walt

#21 7 years ago

You two seem to be making way too much out of a simple problem. Standard electrical & pinball machine troubleshooting techniques should have had this taken care of in five minutes or less. Try the identical situation with player two. If that works determine if it part of the 10,000's score reel for Player one, the switches/contacts or coil on the 100,000 Relay (for Player 1) the Player Relay switches & contacts (Note for others referencing this thread in the future; on 4 player games, such as the rare Valencia 4 Player version of Toledo, a "player up unit", which is a Stepper unit, is used instead of the simpler "Player Relay" system) or wiring between these things.

ISOLATE AND VERIFY WITH AN ALLIGATOR CLIP LEAD JUMPER WIRE OR TWO. ONCE VERIFIED, REPAIR.

edit: ADDED ALL CAPITAL LETTER EFFECT TO SOUND AUTHORITATIVE.

#22 7 years ago

Hi Walt
when You manually move the 100'000-Relay: You trip it and You see on the backglass the 100'000 points - question - You then start a new game - DOES the PIN moves the relay(s) into other state (no more 100'000 on the backglass) --- this is "latch" the relay(s) - DOES the pin latches the relay(s) ?

IF (if) the pin DOES LATCH latch the relay(s): TRY the "Jumper 'yellow' " (see it in the JPG) - when the TRIP-Coil does NOT fire: TOGGLE-OFF the pin (Safety Reasons) and make a permanent connection of the two coils on the Power-Side (see my red line in the JPG) --- then toggle-on, start a game and do the test "Jumper 'yellow' " again - question: Does the relay NOW trips ? If not: You have a bad coil. Greetings Rolf

P.S.: The written above is just to learn about "IS THE COIL good ?".
You write about "power the player-2 relay with a test-lead" --- what exactly are You connecting ?

0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

OP: keep in mind that the game manufacturers sometimes substituted wire colors when there was a shortage. There can be SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM WIRE COLOR MISMATCHES WITH WHAT IS IN THE MACHINE. This can be lots of fun when the bottom board wires differ from the backbox etc.

#24 7 years ago

Sorry, you guys are getting over my head. I'm trying not to get confused, too much information!
So, I crimped the solder connections on the relay and it made the relay work consistently. Trouble is, is still won't work under normal play. I can jump the yellow wire to the white/black wire on the drum unit step up switch, and the relay works. I don't know what is involved in getting the contact to work on the score drum to feed it from the brown/black wire. (9th pos drum unit sw). It appears to make contact, and I checked the gap, but no connection. I'm not sure what position the score drum is supposed to be in when I need to check the contacts.

Rolf..the relay works as per your test, and I can jump the coil to work, so...?

Mr Bally..you mention the switches/contacts for player 1, and I think that is a problem. Like I say, I don't know where to put the score drum to check contacts or where to go with it...?

Am I making sense...?

Still learning, Walt

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-score-not-counting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.