Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Replay or extra ball”

• Replay 49 votes
      49%
    • Extra ball 51 votes
      51%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0882 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0901 (resized).JPG
    Tim Bu Tu  playfield 001 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Yes, another poll....I recently had a fellow pinhead give me a hard time for setting my machines to award an extra ball, instead of the normal replay, on points. I'm an average player at best. I set up my outlines on middle opening and everything else factory. When I'm playing on location, earning a replay is a good game for me. When I'm at home, of course a replay doesnt really do anything. What do you guys set your machines at for home play?

#2 6 years ago

3 ball, no EB. Replay awards a credit just because I like to hear the knocker.

Set them up how you like, they are your games that you paid for.

#3 6 years ago

Replay. I just like the satisfaction of hearing the knocker.

#4 6 years ago

replay you wimp

you are a good player and honestly you will ONLY get better if you ditch the gimme EBs from point thresholds.

Earn EBs in normal way is cool, but changing replay to award EB is just 1 notch below putting them on 5 ball (dont do that)

#5 6 years ago

At home I set a limit of 3 or 5 games and then the goal is to see how many extra games I can earn. It brings back much of the route play fun and challenge.

I will always say, play them how it makes you happy. However, they were designed with factory settings in mind and I think that makes them the most fun. You will burn out on games quicked if you set them to award EBs cause you will make it further into the game sooner.

#6 6 years ago

I like getting a replay on location. At home, I have had the machines give extra balls, but as mentioned above, it gets me further in games than I actually earned the right to get to. I usually leave them at factory default.

It also makes for some very long game times.

#7 6 years ago

I always set mine for 4 extra balls awarded for points although I make them fairly difficult to achieve. It's rare I would ever get to a wizard mode otherwise.

#8 6 years ago

Extra ball.....lol

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes, another poll....I recently had a fellow pinhead give me a hard time for setting my machines to award an extra ball, instead of the normal replay, on points.

You extended an invitation to another person to play your machines, and they criticized the way you set the machines set up? That would be the last invite that person got to play at my house.

To answer the question, replays are useless when the game is already set to free play. Mine are all set up to award an extra ball, but I set the threshold higher than the default.

#10 6 years ago

I can't stan

Quoted from drsfmd:You extended an invitation to another person to play your machines, and they criticized the way you set the machines set up? That would be the last invite that person got to play at my house.
    To answer the question, replays are useless when the game is already set to free play. Mine are all set up to award an extra ball, but I set the threshold higher than the default.

I can't stand EB replays. I'd absolutely criticize my friend for doing something like this, that's what friends are for. I wouldn't want to be friends with anybody who thinks they should blindly kiss my ass for inviting them over to play pinball.

EBs for replay threshholds are simply a way to artificially extend games, I don't like them at all. I prefer my games to be on factory. Which of course my be too generous for some also. On certain EB factory floodgate games like T2 I might limit them.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

You extended an invitation to another person to play your machines, and they criticized the way you set the machines set up? That would be the last invite that person got to play at my house.

well more accurately, his friend came over to help him do some board work on a machine he lent to him. At that point his friend gave him a hard time for having his game set on EBs. That is what good friends do. Next time I loan him a game I am going to have to make a contract for no EBs and no 5 ball, lol.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

well more accurately, his friend came over to help him do some board work on a machine he lent to him. At that point his friend gave him a hard time for having his game set on EBs. That is what good friends do. Next time I loan him a game I am going to have to make a contract for no EBs and no 5 ball, lol.

Truth

Being fairly new to the hobby, I kinda just wanted to gauge what the general consensus was. I'm not a fan of making the games easier by closing outlanes or adding extenders etc, but i figure, I put in hard work to get the replay award, but at home, it's not an award per se.

I do enjoy hearing the knocker though. But eff that on TWD. I'm still keeping the extra ball. I need all the help I can get

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Truth
    Being fairly new to the hobby, I kinda just wanted to gauge what the general consensus was. I'm not a fan of making the games easier by closing outlanes or adding extenders etc, but i figure, I put in hard work to get the replay award, but at home, it's not an award per se.
    I do enjoy hearing the knocker though. But eff that on TWD. I'm still keeping the extra ball. I need all the help I can get

on pinside you would find as the poll shows. There are lots of collectors here that are not really players. They set the game on 5 ball and EBs cause they like to make it farther in the game and feel that si the way to go and the advantage of owning a game in your home. That is also why on pinside many collections are made up of top 10 and sternLE/ remake games with little diversity.

I will stand that the biggest risk of setting up games eaiser than default is that is ruins them. Setting them up tough keeps them fun and challenging. For example I just saw a new mode on Congo last week and I have had that game in the colleciton and active for almost 4 years now. If I had it set to EB or made easier then I would have bored of the game years ago. Instead, it is still a blast and a challenge to play. I am also a much better player because of it.

Setting up with EBs actually becomes something you rely upon subconsiously and then dont play as hard I have found. Same thing for reseting afer ball 1 being a house ball. If you force yourself to play through the real world situations then you get better and I would say in the long run will have more fun.

*set up your games however you want but I am still going to make fun of you when you make them too easy.

#14 6 years ago

Play your games however you enjoy them.

#15 6 years ago

I always do replay, but I do set my special award to an extra ball. I should probably change that to points, or a replay.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You will burn out on games quicked if you set them to award EBs cause you will make it further into the game sooner.

Unless it's a game like WOZ!

#17 6 years ago

Like I mentioned, the only thing not factory is replays for extra balls, other than that, I like to play them as factory intended, at the very least. But yes, one extra ball can definitely make a difference and I do agree that making them too easy ruins the fun of the game. Also, my wife is a non-pinhead and she definitely feels rewarded for getting that extra ball on points and I don't necessarily want to discourage her either.

Maybe what I can do is just drain that extra ball on points but play the rest. That might be a good compromise for her and for me. Good point on specials too, but I don't think I have any of them set up to award extra balls.

#18 6 years ago

On some games an extra ball is a nice reward, but my favorite is special awards replay. Check out this Williams Tim Buc Tu it has 10 ways to win a replay for special on the playfield. This game is a knocking sensation if you can complete the sequence. It never should have let this game go.

Tim Bu Tu  playfield 001 (resized).jpgTim Bu Tu playfield 001 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Me, personally, I put Replays, Specials to award extra balls. In WPC games, you still get the knocker, too.

I don't see it as 'artifically' extending your game like has been mentioned (to me, *buying* an extra ball is artifically extending your game!), because I still did what was necessary to get the bonus (extra ball).

I also do prefer longer game times, without long ball times. And I have an unexplicable dislike to 5-ball games on SS games.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

you still get the knocker,

I'm 100% EM Add-a-Ball, and the more I hear the knocker, the sweeter
    the game. And a game can last too long, but not if it's one that you really
    enjoy..

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Me, personally, I put Replays, Specials to award extra balls. In WPC games, you still get the knocker, too.
    I don't see it as 'artifically' extending your game like has been mentioned (to me, *buying* an extra ball is artifically extending your game!), because I still did what was necessary to get the bonus (extra ball).
    I also do prefer longer game times, without long ball times. And I have an unexplicable dislike to 5-ball games on SS games.

I also turn off "buy-in" on any game I get. I'm not sure how you don't see it as artificially extending your game - on something like Jackbot, Specials/replays etc. could add like 3 or 4 EBs to your game over factory settings. You really might as well set it to five ball as well.

This kind of fake marathon pinball simply takes the fun out of it for me. The games weren't designed for that kind of length.

#22 6 years ago

i feel cheated when I earn a replay on route but get an extra ball. id rather have 3 balls than 1

at home id rather earn my score with default/tournament rules than with free balls

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure how you don't see it as artificially extending your game

Like I mentioned - because it's 'earned'. By hitting the reply. Or lighting an outline and then draining just right.

Keep in mind, too, that the games (at least, WPC-era games) auto-adjust the EB percentage. As *well* as the replay percentage. So, get a reply, the percentage of replay AND extra balls increase. So, the game will make getting EBs harder - like in TZ, the # of robots needed to get an extra ball is raised up. The reply is also raised up so that it's more difficult to get.
    I'm *lucky* if I get one or two EBs per game.

But, it's all personal opinion. Just explaining how I feel. Couldn't care less if you don't agree with it. But if you play my game at a show, and send me a message saying 'what the hell, why is it like that?!' then.. that's on you.

#24 6 years ago

All my games are still set up the way they were during the State Championships. No Extra balls awarded for replay levels, none given out for an award, etc. It's 3 balls and you're done. They're staying that way until at least after the next State Finals.

#25 6 years ago

Extra ball, I need all the help I can get.

#26 6 years ago

I prefer being rewarded a replay both on location and on a machine set to free play. To me it just makes sense to prefer getting a free game on a machine you have to pay to play. I also like it that way on free play mode as well because getting an extra ball just based off of points seems cheap and too easy if you know what you are doing.

#27 6 years ago

This is one of the reasons I like the tournament start button to be set up on my Stern machines. Tournament start gets no extra balls by definition. Normal start gets factory settings including extra balls. I do have Iron Man set up for extra ball instead of replay because it is nearly impossible to get one in that game and I need all the help I can get.

#28 6 years ago

Games at home are set for replay. My FH is at my grandmas and is set for extra ball, because the whole family plays (4 generations) and they are casual players, so why not make it a little more fun for them?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This kind of fake marathon pinball simply takes the fun out of it for me. The games weren't designed for that kind of length.

CrazyLevi - you're blind to your own bias.
    - You're a good player, so it does take the fun out of it for you.
    - For a not-so-good player, it could make a not fun game more fun

Bottom Line - it just depends on what suits you.
    But people need to be careful -> any game made too easy will end up getting boring. What "too easy" is depends on the player though.

FYI - the games were designed to earn extra balls at point thresholds -> if it's an option programmed into the game -> it was designed that way, LOL

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

FYI - the games were designed to earn extra balls at point thresholds -> if it's an option programmed into the game -> it was designed that way, LOL

Well those options are there to earn more monies....you putting quarters in yours?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well those options are there to earn more monies....you putting quarters in yours?

I've yet to own a pin I'm not putting money into on a somewhat regular basis.

#32 6 years ago

Credits. The exception I can see is for a Special that you might not otherwise shoot in a home setting.

#33 6 years ago

I tend to simply leave the factory settings for most things. Mostly, incase I want to compare scores, I assume others are also using factory settings. Getting an extra ball instead of a replay doesn't do anything for me. But, just like computer games have different difficulty settings, if I wanted to make the game easier so I could experience more of it, then I might change the settings. But, want to try and play through the game as meant by the creators.

Again, it's your game, set it up how you like.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

Replay. I just like the satisfaction of hearing the knocker.

The knocker fires on AAB games.

#35 6 years ago

They are your games, set them up have you wish. Even if you are completely wrong

But for me it is not the high score or extra balls, it is the thwack of the knocker that gives me satisfaction

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

it is the thwack of the knocker that gives me satisfaction

Yes. Yes! it does.

#37 6 years ago

Replay is more rewarding than an extra ball. Especially when the machine is set up to accept coins.

#38 6 years ago

I can say, when you have the 1,2,3 5,6,7 lit on this machine,
    and then hit the 4, you'll know what knocking is..

IMG_0901 (resized).JPGIMG_0901 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

On all my games you get a replay and on most of them I turn all the extra balls off but it's your game set it up how you like.

#40 6 years ago

I prefer replay since I want to hear the knocker, and also because I just don't think it makes much sense to award an extra ball for reaching a certain score. It's just like, you're already doing really well, why award an extra ball for a long game, only to make the game longer? I feel like you'd just end up with a bunch of short games and long games, but nothing in-between.

On top of that, since I usually use credits on my machine (I just like putting in a quarter every so often!), I'll end up using the last credit on the machine, and tell myself that I won't play another game unless I can get a replay. It kind of brings a bit of the on location feeling to home!

#41 6 years ago

Except for Fun Park, this is the closest I came to beating (flipping) a
    4 digit 60s Add-a-Ball (and I have quite a few set up).
    If only I was able to achieve one more extra ball.. Damm!
    The more a machine makes me use unpleasant vocabulary, the
    less chance that it will leave the game room. D.J. will never leave..

IMG_0882 (resized).JPGIMG_0882 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-or-extra-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.