New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134558)

Replay fx you must come.Biggest selection of games ever

By mikepin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0143_(resized).jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I dont believe everyone understands what replay fx is all about YES there is a tournament BUT You guys need to come here..There are so many pinballs and video games to play It SO HUGE somehow I dont feel its been promoted much more than the tournrament . There has never been a show like this EVER .Get off your butts and comedown to insure it will happen again..It NOT just for tournrament people Its for EVRYONE kids too.. DOnt miss this world class event There are SO Many games to play. MANY vendors LOTS to do. You will NEVER see and play this many games anywhere... there has never been a show of this magnitude ever.. There are HUNDREDS of neat video games as well as hundreds of pinball machines

#2 5 years ago

I can't make it but could you keep an eye out for a stand up MACH 3 arcade game. If there's one there maybe the owner knows someone who works on them, mine doesn't work. I'd much appreciate it .

7 months later
    #3 4 years ago

Is there anything to do in Pittsburgh just in case the wife , dare I say, doesn't want to play pinball? Shops, Attractions etc.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Is there anything to do in Pittsburgh just in case the wife , dare I say, doesn't want to play pinball? Shops, Attractions etc.

My dad and I would visit Station Square in Pittsburgh when we'd attend PAPA. Nice resteraunts, many shopping options, right along the river with a beautiful riverside outdoor area.

We also would ride the inclines, they're pretty cool.

#5 4 years ago

My wife spent most of the time at replay with me but enjoyed spending a half day at the heinz history museum right next door.

#6 4 years ago

Theatre district is down the street and have walk up sales. My wife attended a show. Other things nearby include where the Pirates play - my wife - is not a baseball fan - but she enjoyed taking the behind the scenes stadium tour.
    Lots of things within easy walking distance.

#7 4 years ago

A thread specifically dedicated to the event was already started awhile ago.........

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replayfx-2016

#8 4 years ago

Strip District shopping, Shady Side Shopping/Dinning, Lawrenceville shopping. Andy Warhol Museum, Heinz History Center. There is a lot to do and its easy getting around with Uber.

#9 4 years ago

Great show, but it is worth noting that the majority of pins are off limits to anyone not in the tournament for the first two days (if I remember correctly).

#10 4 years ago

I will be a vendor there once again with a ton of vintage console games. I just bought someone's collection and I am constantly buying classic console games every week.

#11 4 years ago

As far as discrete pinball titles, the Ann Arbor show has more games. And they have game credits.

#12 4 years ago

Andy Warhol Museum (I still want to check that out), Kennywood amusement park (amazing ancient park with many classic coasters and rides), the fernacular...err...fernicular...errr...the thing that goes up the side of the mountain. Also cool bridges you can walk across. And lots of pizza and chicken wings.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Great show, but it is worth noting that the majority of pins are off limits to anyone not in the tournament for the first two days (if I remember correctly).

Yep, Thursday and Friday the pinburgh section was dedicated to the tournament - but all day Saturday and Sunday that section was mostly open for general use -- just the finals banks were still off limits. And almost all the games stay through close of show Sunday since they're PAPA's games.

The only thing I'd suggest for this year is better signage indicating that those pins in the pinburgh section would be available for all to play after the rounds end Friday -- and then a more obvious "opening" of that section. I'm sure the drape walls would have had to be moved by union workers and that's why they stayed, but with just the 2 small openings (one in the back corner, one by the tourney desk) it wasn't really obvious that the section was available for all on those last 2 days.

#14 4 years ago

Everything about replay was on que for such a large undertaking. The only thing I would change is having the pins and video games which cannot be put on free play but need assistance to open up game to put more credit on them put in their own section.The attendant was more than happy to open up machine who had a key to put credits on machine. But it was random through out the whole play area could not tell which machines needed credit or was on free play.
    My suggestion if having a credit area where all the pins and video games need credit to play are in their own section to manage putting more in to machines during the event.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

As far as discrete pinball titles, the Ann Arbor show has more games. And they work unlike replayfx with broken Unleveled games with no credits.

classy.

#16 4 years ago

When is it?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

As far as discrete pinball titles, the Ann Arbor show has more games. And they work unlike replayfx with broken Unleveled games with no credits.

Yeah Clay likes to bash other shows with his negative propaganda. I remember one year he bashed papa on his pinballninja site about the amount of broken games and lack of staff. It couldn't have been further from the truth.

As far as replayFX goes I think there is close to 450 pins there. Some repeating titles for more popular titles plus arcades so its around 750 machines. Add in any additional machines brought in by vendors and individuals.

#20 4 years ago

All i'm saying is the move to the convention center was a poor idea in my opinion. the PAPA facility is awesome, best pinball facility in the world. to abandon it for a cavernous concrete war zone that is that convention center is just silly. you have to move all the games, and that's expensive, time consuming, and then set up and level and of course repair. PAPA has a repair facility, convention center does not. i understand they wanted more room for the tourney. but i just think it took awesome and made it sub par at best. they are out of their element at the convention center. it's the worst pinball experience when you compare it to the awesomeness that is the PAPA facility. The echo and massive concrete floor, walls, ceiling, it sucks ball at the convention center, and just wears you out. I guess having video games is ok but i'm there for PINBALL, not video games. Mileage will vary, but replayfx is terrible. they took the best thing and ruined it. It's like having a perfect girlfriend with "C" cups and she decides to get fakes and make them XXX size. Now she has back pain and they're bigger than her head, and you're like, why??

#21 4 years ago

Thinking any large scale pinball arena will have 100% of pins working perfectly and leveled perfectly is a pipe dream.

I've been to papa many times and am always in awe of the place. As soon as I open the door and walk in, it's like I'm imagining walking thru the pearly gates.

#22 4 years ago

I think the positives of moving it to the convention center outweigh any negatives. Having ample hotel space right near by is great. There are tons of restaurant options within easy walking distance. The concrete floor really wasn't as bad as I was expecting and the super high ceiling was nice for the noise level. Being able to bring in more people that aren't necessarily pinheads but are attracted to other parts of the show brings some variety and flavor to it.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I think the positives of moving it to the convention center outweigh any negatives. Having ample hotel space right near by is great. There are tons of restaurant options within easy walking distance. The concrete floor really wasn't as bad as I was expecting and the super high ceiling was nice for the noise level. Being able to bring in more people that aren't necessarily pinheads but are attracted to other parts of the show brings some variety and flavor to it.

I agree.

The papa facility is great... for pinheads. It's in a warehouse district and surrounded by very little in terms of eating and hotels, etc.

Good points.

#24 4 years ago

The PAPA warehouse is simply way cooler than the convention center. And it's within walking distance from the loveable extended stay dump that's 50 bucks a night, and there's diners and bars as well. But I can see why they wanted to move it.

The ONLY issue I encountered with any games in either location was no credits on a small handful of old Ballys. Most of the games are perfectly level and play great - you can see the time they put into this and it's clear that the people involved are players, not just collectors or mechanics.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Mileage will vary, but replayfx is terrible. they took the best thing and ruined it. It's like having a perfect girlfriend with "C" cups and she decides to get fakes and make them XXX size. Now she has back pain and they're bigger than her head, and you're like, why??

Once again you talking down other shows including ReplayFX is transparent. You are actually doing yourself an injustice as it doesn't encourage me to travel to your show. Every show has it's positives and negatives as nothing is perfect. After the first ReplayFX the positive comments were overwhelming. Pinsiders voiced their concerns and suggestions on improvements and I assume the PAPA staff will address those as they have in the past.

#27 4 years ago

I hope it caters to families and people who don't want to compete in the Tournament as well as the tournament guys. I just want to go and have a good time.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

All i'm saying is the move to the convention center was a poor idea in my opinion. the PAPA facility is awesome, best pinball facility in the world. to abandon it for a cavernous concrete war zone that is that convention center is just silly. you have to move all the games, and that's expensive, time consuming, and then set up and level and of course repair. PAPA has a repair facility, convention center does not. i understand they wanted more room for the tourney. but i just think it took awesome and made it sub par at best. they are out of their element at the convention center. it's the worst pinball experience when you compare it to the awesomeness that is the PAPA facility. The echo and massive concrete floor, walls, ceiling, it sucks ball at the convention center, and just wears you out. I guess having video games is ok but i'm there for PINBALL, not video games. Mileage will vary, but replayfx is terrible. they took the best thing and ruined it. It's like having a perfect girlfriend with "C" cups and she decides to get fakes and make them XXX size. Now she has back pain and they're bigger than her head, and you're like, why??

Clay, with all due respect, you don't know the first thing about the Replay Foundation's / PAPA's situation, goals, needs, or building.

When I take a step back and read through some of your old posts, however, I see a pretty startling shift in your opinions right around the time you started your own show. Just plug the VFW and get it over with.

VFW = good.
    Other shows = bad.

We get it.

#29 4 years ago

I don't agree with Clay at all. I am not saying every game was perfect, but I remember VERY few games that did not play well and were not leveled. It was actually pretty amazing at how level most of the machines were, especially in the tournament bank. If a game was broken it was fixed pretty quickly. Yes a few games were out of credits, but that seems to happen at every show. I really liked the convention center other than the concrete floors. The show was a ton of fun and got to see downtown Pittsburgh, which is actually a nice place to visit.
    The Festival itself was just a ton of fun. I can't wait for this year.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The echo and massive concrete floor, walls, ceiling, it sucks ball at the convention center, and just wears you out.

Huh??

#31 4 years ago

I went to ReplayFX last year, and had an absolute blast! There is damn near everything at ReplayFX. Pittsburgh is nice city, there is tons of stuff to do outside of ReplayFX too.

Definitely heading back this year!

#32 4 years ago

It's a great show and a great tournament.

Would love to see a time lapse video of you guys loading in the machines.
    I'm blown away that you can move that many in such a short time.

#33 4 years ago

Awesome show, and awesome city. We had a great time, and looking forward to it again.

#34 4 years ago

By far the best show out there, period. The machines were great, the sheer number of machines was overwhelming, a ton of arcades, great venue, and where else will you see a stormtrooper or Boba Fett playing a pin?

To put it in perspective for all us pinheads, my wife said to me "this is the first pinball show you have drug me to that I wasn't bored and want to come back". Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

where else will you see a stormtrooper or Boba Fett playing a pin?

MGC!

#36 4 years ago

look i'm sorry but i stand by my statements and my opinion. the PAPA facility is awesome. the convention center is concrete hell. this has nothing to do with any other show. this has everything to do with taking a great thing (PAPA) and turning it into a sub par event (convention center). that's just how i feel. i'm sorry if some one doesn't agree. if you want a bunch of agreeable lemmings then you can ask the moderators to censor this thread. I have an opinion. perhaps it's not the same as yours. That doesn't make it invalid. bring the show back to the PAPA facility, which frankly is the best pinball place in the world. leave the video games outs and the concrete in downtown pittsburgh.

#37 4 years ago

I agree with Clay 100%!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

bring the show back to the PAPA facility, which frankly is the best pinball place in the world. leave the video games outs and the concrete in downtown pittsburgh.

There isn't enough room in the building nor parking in the area to fit replayfx at papa HQ.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

look i'm sorry but i stand by my statements and my opinion. the PAPA facility is awesome. the convention center is concrete hell. this has nothing to do with any other show. this has everything to do with taking a great thing (PAPA) and turning it into a sub par event (convention center). that's just how i feel. i'm sorry if some one doesn't agree. if you want a bunch of agreeable lemmings then you can ask the moderators to censor this thread. I have an opinion. perhaps it's not the same as yours. That doesn't make it invalid. bring the show back to the PAPA facility, which frankly is the best pinball place in the world. leave the video games outs and the concrete in downtown pittsburgh.

Last I checked, there were plenty of video games at the papa facility. Did I just dream that?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

I agree with Clay 100%!

I do also. I have no desire to check out pinburgh now that it is combined with a video game show at an expensive hotel in down town. I liked the cozy feeling and at atmosphere of the old facility.

I understand their needs to move and grow, but it is not for everyone. Luckily they still do papa at the regular spot and i hope to be back there in the future (when it does not conflict with MGC).

I don't think we need to compare game quality but I can say of all the shows I have been to, NOTHING can come even remotely close to the quality at VFW. If anyone wants to play perfect machines, that is the place to go.

pinburgh really is a tournament first and foremost.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Last I checked, there were plenty of video games at the papa facility. Did I just dream that?

Last I checked, there was a major event at the PAPA facility in like two weeks. I hope I'm not dreaming that, because my flight is non-refundable.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The Replay Foundation Headquarters / PAPA facility is a very cool place with a lot of history, and it's treated us well, but no matter how you spin it, PAPA HQ is still a former industrial meat packing plant with virtually no parking, limited bathrooms, a leaking roof, and a condemned building next door ready to fall over at any minute. The convention center, on the other hand, was good enough to host the G20 summit in 2009 and the President of the USA on multiple other occasions. It has hundreds of thousands of square feet of space, multiple restaurants / hotels in walking distance, and Boba Fett on staff. You're obviously welcome to your opinion, but if we're talking about potential future growth for pinball... the better location out of these two options is a no brainer to me. If that's not enough, PAPA HQ is still open each year for the World Championships in April.

Also, we're working on the carpet. You learn a lot in the first year.

Be well.

#43 4 years ago

Damn. We've only got these plumbers on staff at the MGC. I have never even seen them fix a pipe.

DSC_0143_(resized).jpg

#44 4 years ago

I went to pinburgh with a personal fan, ear plugs, and a pocket full of tylenol to deal with the concrete floors. I left the fan in the hotel room after the first day, same thing with the ear plugs. And thanks to a hole in my pocket most of my tylenol fell out onto the floor, so I guess I didn't use those, either!

I will say there was more care and attention (or it appeared there was more care & attention) paid to the pinburgh machines than the regular machines. (I'm specifically thinking of the Dakar game that spent nearly the whole time needing credits.) That's kind of to be understood, really; you have to have priorities when managing that large of a circus. And of course, all bets were off for games that other people brought into the free play area; that was a grab bag as it usually is.

I do want to throw major props out to the pinburgh repair crew -- the maximum wait time I had between hitting the blue light special and having a tech appear was approximately 30 seconds. That's a phenomenally good response time in my book, and something they rightly deserve to hang their hat on.

ReplayFX was a blast in the convention center, and I'm really bumming that I can't attend this year. Would gladly go again!

#45 4 years ago

I can see it both ways. The PAPA HQ, with its small parking lot in the middle of nowhere and decay, still has undeniable charm and a certain mystique that no convention center can replicate. The ability to tailgate outside during Pinburgh at the PAPA HQ turned into one of the best experiences in terms of meeting new people and forging new friendships. With basically nothing better to do between rounds, it fosters that sort of hangout vibe and fosters camaraderie like no other even I've been to. It's sad to see that go.

But Pinburgh is a perpetual success machine and it's evolved into the biggest tournament out there. 700 players is not going to work at the PAPA HQ and anyone who says it will is smoking something potent. The move downtown and the addition of games only broadens access and appeal, and I can imagine that some people who show up to ReplayFX for the video games get hooked on pinball, and our ranks continue to swell.

I do miss match play at PAPA HQ. The PAPA championships don't have the same appeal for some. The PAPA style qualifying doesn't foster as much camaraderie since it's a few days of individual competition and only the elite will get to see a lot of head-to-head play. For me, and I imagine many others, it's not worth the trip from the other side of the country.

As a happy medium, it would be nice to see PAPA HQ host a smaller match play tournament sometime between Pinburgh and PAPA, for those of us who want a taste of those good old days.

Is that something that could happen??

#46 4 years ago

Pinburgh was growing too large for PAPA HQ and the last year it was there felt very crowded. I can't imagine having 700 people there and think that is why they decided to move. You can reduce the number of people who can enter so that way it's more manageable to have at PAPA HQ but then all the people who miss out will complain. It sold out very quickly the last year it was a PAPA headquarters and I remember a lot of people bitching about missing out and wanting the number of participants expanded.

The convention center is pretty large to have just Pinburgh so teaming up with ReplaxFX and having arcade games seems like a good way to take advantage of all the floor space. It's nice having vendors finally come to a show in the Pittsburgh area as well and that could never happen at PAPA HQ. Guess you can't make everyone happy and if it was still held a PAPA HQ then we would be hearing all the people who missed out complaining how it should be expanded and held somewhere else that can accommodate a larger group of people.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger64:

Would love to see a time lapse video of you guys loading in the machines.
    I'm blown away that you can move that many in such a short time.

I too would love to see a time lapse of the setup!

Quoted from zsciaeount:

The ability to tailgate outside during Pinburgh at the PAPA HQ turned into one of the best experiences in terms of meeting new people and forging new friendships.

I can't wait to tailgate at the PAPA facility. That being said, I still made dozens of new friends at the larger venue. And the larger venue REALLY has the space to expand into the future. I hope PAPA/ReplayFX is so successful they overflow that place someday! Looking forward to this year!!!

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

look i'm sorry but i stand by my statements and my opinion. the PAPA facility is awesome. the convention center is concrete hell. this has nothing to do with any other show

Sure it doesn't let's look at the splash page for your show.

There’s something for every pinball fan here (we are the third largest dedicated pinball facility in North America, behind Banning and PAPA.) But unlike the other two larger pinball facilities, we are here every day working on our machines, making sure they play perfect!

PAPA has a technical staff and volunteers that work year round on the games. Just more BS. I just don't get the negativity and the measuring contest.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

To put it in perspective for all us pinheads, my wife said to me "this is the first pinball show you have drug me to that I wasn't bored and want to come back". Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is.

Really? I don't think I could get my wife to go to ReplayFX, but I wouldn't consider drugging her...

#50 4 years ago

i can't believe people are bashing replayfx. 700 registered pinburghers, 100 waitlisters, and who knows how many other show attendees can't all be wrong

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 122.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 5.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    API Houdini Out of stock
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside