Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Beyndtstng
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I am considering purchasing a ticket for this event. This would be my first time attending any sort of pinball festival. Here is my question:

If you could attend only one pinball festival in the United States for the rest of 2016, would this be it? If not, which one would you recommend and why?

I have a couple of reasons to go. First and foremost, I love playing pinball. Secondly, I feel that this is the best way to play a bunch of machines to find out which pins I enjoy the most. I just purchased my second machine so the chance of me going to a festival and buying one is slim. I am looking for a place that has a wide variety (I prefer modern) of pins that will give me the most time to play. If there is a festival that is better for this then I would appreciate any insight.

PS Meeting Bowen Kernis would be a great plus. The guy cracks me up with his commentary.

#2 7 years ago

I went last year and loved it. Already have my tickets for this year. Go, you won't be disappointed.

#3 7 years ago

yes you should.

#4 7 years ago

Yes

#5 7 years ago

Absolutely go. You will be blown away.

#6 7 years ago

Yes it is like Christmas for pinball enthusiast

#7 7 years ago

yes you should!

#8 7 years ago

In terms of playing a large variety of machines this was one of the best shows I have attended.

#9 7 years ago

Do they have any demonstration at these events? I would like to learn basic care and maintenance. I have searched on the forum here and read up on the basic stuff, but would love to see it first hand.

#10 7 years ago

Anyone have accommodation or restaurant recommendations? Looks like I will be booking soon. Thank you for the input.

#11 7 years ago

many machines have monitors next to them and you can watch the best of the best play. that right there is huge demonstration wise. there are also tons of arcade games besides pinball and other fun things to do. its a gigantic venue, im talking huuuuuuuuge. it is amazing. the staff is wonderful, and you will be blown away by it all. by all means, yes attend!

#12 7 years ago

Great show...BUT...if you're not competing in Pinburgh, you should know that most of the pins there are not available to play until the third day of the show, once the competition is (almost?) over. Tons of video games there to play, as well as some other pins that aren't part of the tourney. Meeting Bowen Kerins is great, but meeting Steve and Mark Ritchie, John Trudeau, etc., etc., is better IMO. For that, Pintastic New England and Texas Pinball Festival are my favorites.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lorisa:

Do they have any demonstration at these events? I would like to learn basic care and maintenance. I have searched on the forum here and read up on the basic stuff, but would love to see it first hand.

Better show for that is usually the Chicago Pinball Expo. Usually a couple of the Seminars focus on game repair/restoration. "Dr." Scott Sheridan and his sidekick will always show someone how to repair a pin on one of the ones they bring or an ailing one on the expo floor.

#14 7 years ago

im not sure on the exact number of pins available for the public to play during pinburgh (besides pinburgh games), but the number seemed high to me as i walked around. Bowen or others know the numbers and may chime in.
    and there were also MOVIE STARS at Replay fx last time, actors still relevant in current movies.
    that trumps pinball designers IMO. the designers are at many many shows.
    plus, kong off had legendary donkey kong players including all the peeps from King of kong movie....all competing live.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Great show...BUT...if you're not competing in Pinburgh, you should know that most of the pins there are not available to play until the third day of the show, once the competition is (almost?) over. Tons of video games there to play, as well as some other pins that aren't part of the tourney. Meeting Bowen Kerins is great, but meeting Steve and Mark Ritchie, John Trudeau, etc., etc., is better IMO. For that, Pintastic New England and Texas Pinball Festival are my favorites.

Can anyone else confirm the lack of playable machines for the first two days? That is the main reason for me attending. I like arcade games but not enough to drop a grand to play them

#17 7 years ago

Your within driving distance of TPF. So, you could do more than 1 show.

#18 7 years ago

I didn't play in the tournament and I didn't have a problem finding machines to play. Granted there were even more after the tournament area opened. The ratio of machines to people was very good but that can change as more people attend. I've heard they will have even more space this year.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Can anyone else confirm the lack of playable machines for the first two days? That is the main reason for me attending. I like arcade games but not enough to drop a grand to play them

There ARE machines to play, but after a day or so of playing the ones people brought for the non-PAPA areas, you'll find yourself wishing there was some way to play the PAPA machines. Your chances of finding that rare machine you've always wanted to play will be greatly increased once the PAPA machines are open to the public.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The list of speakers from 2015 is here: http://replayfx.org/attractions/?target=seminars. Speakers included Roger Sharpe, Andrew Heighway, Jersey Jack, Eugene Jarvis, Gerry Stellenberg, and more. One goal for 2016 is a speakers list that is comparable to the excellent other shows you mentioned.

280 of the 500+ pinball machines on hand are reserved for Pinburgh on Thursday and Friday (until ~10:45p, with the hall open until 2a). 230 of the 280 machines then become available for free play for the remainder of Friday and all of Saturday and Sunday. There will be at least 220 *more* pinball machines besides those, and probably even more -- that count only covers the 500 pinball machines that are being brought as part of Replay's collection.

I hope this helps and look forward to meeting you, Beyndtstng.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The list of speakers from 2015 is here: http://replayfx.org/attractions/?target=seminars. Speakers included Roger Sharpe, Andrew Heighway, Jersey Jack, Eugene Jarvis, Gerry Stellenberg, and more. One goal for 2016 is a speakers list that is comparable to the excellent other shows you mentioned.
    280 of the 500+ pinball machines on hand are reserved for Pinburgh on Thursday and Friday (until ~10:45p, with the hall open until 2a). 230 of the 280 machines then become available for free play for the remainder of Friday and all of Saturday and Sunday. There will be at least 220 *more* pinball machines besides those, and probably even more -- that count only covers the 500 pinball machines that are being brought as part of Replay's collection.
    I hope this helps and look forward to meeting you, Beyndtstng.

Thanks for the info Bowen. Perhaps now would be a good time to spell your last name correctly haha

#22 7 years ago

Food? There is plenty.
    Just down the street is a great beer place, Sharp Edge. Nicky's for thai. The other direction several blocks in "The Strip" is: Primanti's(Trucker Sammiches - Pittsburgh style), Wholley's fish market, Rolands, Kaya, and much more. Or cross a river and hit up "The South Side".

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Food? There is plenty.
    Just down the street is a great beer place, Sharp Edge. Nicky's for thai. The other direction several blocks in "The Strip" is: Primanti's(Trucker Sammiches - Pittsburgh style), Wholley's fish market, Rolands, Kaya, and much more. Or cross a river and hit up "The South Side".

Thank you

#24 7 years ago

You HAVE to get Primanti's and while I didn't eat at Wholley's last time, I'm definitely going this year. Seafood as far as you can see!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Anyone have accommodation or restaurant recommendations? Looks like I will be booking soon. Thank you for the input.

This place is pretty good right by the convention center

http://www.myfernandoscafe.com/

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Better show for that is usually the Chicago Pinball Expo. Usually a couple of the Seminars focus on game repair/restoration. "Dr." Scott Sheridan and his sidekick will always show someone how to repair a pin on one of the ones they bring or an ailing one on the expo floor.

Thanks!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I live in the city so I can make a few recommendations. What are you looking for? Local places I will recommend the Smiling Moose on Carson Street, Stokes Grill on McKnight or Hambone's on Butler St. There is also bd's Mongolian Grill which is great.
    If you are looking for more chain that does not have many locations then Hofbrauhaus would be the place to hit.

Feel free to pm me for food restaurant ideas.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I live in the city so I can make a few recommendations. What are you looking for? Local places I will recommend the Smiling Moose on Carson Street, Stokes Grill on McKnight or Hambone's on Butler St. There is also bd's Mongolian Grill which is great.
    If you are looking for more chain that does not have many locations then Hofbrauhaus would be the place to hit.
    Feel free to pm me for food restaurant ideas.

PM sent

#29 7 years ago

No doubt - just GO.
    I
    respect the other shows held across the country but this show last year was ALL of them together - ON STEROIDS.
    Something for everyone (could have used a few more parts vendors, but so much fun and games, I really didn't miss 'em!!

GO!!!

#30 7 years ago

Ticket purchased, hotel booked, wife confounded. Is there a post for the people going to this event?

2 months later
    #31 7 years ago

Bump for this. Not sure if I will rent a car since we are staying at the Westin. Any recommendations on where to eat within walking distance of the convention center? Where is a good pinball place to hit up tonight? Won't be at the hotel until 9:00 so it would need to be somewhere they stays open late. Thank you

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-fx-pinburgh-should-i-attend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.