Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 165 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MattG
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dre.jpg
    EMs_house.PNG
    image.jpg
    There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'm not a rap hater. I thought it just felt out of place at the beginning of the video, especially with the profanities, that's all.

I completely agree. The intro and concluding music felt very out of place. Not sure what the point of it was....to be all "hard" I guess. I don't hate on rap music, I just don't think it has a place yet in pinball; I've never seen a rap pinball machine, though there are lots of rock n' roll titles. I think it would come off better with some sort of rock n' roll or electronic soundtrack. The profanity doesn't really go well with the theme, the people interviewed are really nice and mixing these two things is just odd. Just my opinion.

I really enjoyed the subject matter of the documentary though, nice work.

#102 10 years ago

Wait, people are complaining about the Eminem song because it has profanity in it, but somehow missed the loads of profanity in the interviews? lol come on.

If any of you East Coasters hit up the west coast let me know. I found it kinda funny when they said these 2 guys put like 12 machines on route and holy cow it saved pinball! I know 2 ops here that have over 75 pins on route just between them and countless others. Definitely are spoiled with places to play.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Too bad that they filmed it a little too soon. Next ,month Steve Epstein is opening a pinball spot at 362 third Ave between twenty sixth and twenty seventh streets that should soon become the hub of NYC's pinball scene.

Wow! That's great news. More pinball is great for the community.

Something Steve should consider.. Much of the lineup is pretty standard fare for the NYC scene — TAF, TZ, ToM and FH are already well represented around town and unlikely to draw much interest from us locals. That said, I'm really looking forward to playing the Cactus Canyon and it would really make it worth the subway ride if he were to add more rare/uncommon titles. Let's see some variety!

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Wait, people are complaining about the Eminem song because it has profanity in it, but somehow missed the loads of profanity in the interviews? lol come on.

People just did not want to come straight out and say "Eminem sucks!", so the profanity complaint seemed diplomatic.

After 20 years of his limp, nasal delivery, manufactured anger / mommy issues, and Dre holding his hand while he pees, it is fatiguing to listen to him.

Even though rap does not fit a Pinball documentary, had the opening track been Snoop, Rick Ross, or Die Antwoord, nobody would have mentioned it.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

After 20 years of his limp, nasal delivery, manufactured anger / mommy issues, and Dre holding his hand while he pees, it is fatiguing to listen to him.

lol. His 100 million+ album sales say otherwise. And some think the same of the pinball community's beloved ACDC same sound over the year's.

Either way, funny stuff reading the comments

#106 10 years ago

Celine Dion has sold 200 million albums, is she 2x as good as Em?

She loves herself some AC/DC...

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Celine Dion has sold 200 million albums, is she 2x as good as Em?
    » YouTube video

Sorry, didn't realize you'd take it personal I didn't say em was X good. I was saying, you seemed super facetious in your comments as if your opinion was that of everyone currently. Comparing his album sales to another artists is meaningless.

I was more so pointing out the thread is filled with complaints about 30 secs of an opening and ending song, which was a bit humorous.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've got to admit, 15 years ago, when I lived in a trailer park, smoked pot all day and hated my mom, I use to to really think Eminem was 5 feet of badass.

Now I buy his albums almost out of habit, but I can't really get into anything he raps about. I worry I've grown up, or something.

Still hate my mom though.

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

Still hate my mom though.

We hate her too for bringing you into this world.

#110 10 years ago

And the moral of the story is: Hipsters and heavy drinkers like pinball. I'm neither. But, I can't be against anything that promotes pinball. Well done, on the whole. The documentary doesn't do anything to squelch the stereotypes, however.

By the way: There is no correlation between record sales and quality. Beatles (high record sales- greatest group ever, Backstreet Boys (high record sales- "music" to puke to); Pixies (low record sales- awesome group and music), Kevin Federline (low record sales- crappy music)

#111 10 years ago

Great pin documentary! Thanks for sharing that. Definitely worth the time to watch. I just can't get enough!!!

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Wow! That's great news. More pinball is great for the community.
    Something Steve should consider.. Much of the lineup is pretty standard fare for the NYC scene — TAF, TZ, ToM and FH are already well represented around town and unlikely to draw much interest from us locals. That said, I'm really looking forward to playing the Cactus Canyon and it would really make it worth the subway ride if he were to add more rare/uncommon titles. Let's see some variety!

Man, you guys are spoiled if TAF, TZ, ToM and FH is standard fare around town. You guys have access to so much more than most there in NY.

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I didn't say em was X good. I was saying, you seemed super facetious in your comments as if your opinion was that of everyone currently.

It said on the radio the other day that his album sales nowadays are 1/3 of what they were when he was on top of his game.

Personally, I'm tired of him.

Dido is better off without him, and is still on the top of her game:

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Has any song ever sucked that bad in the history of "music" ????????????????????

I will never be able to unhear that.

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It said on the radio the other day that his album sales nowadays are 1/3 of what they were when he was on top of his game.
    Personally, I'm tired of him.
    Dido is better off without him, and is still on the top of her game:
    » YouTube video

All album sales are 1/3 of what they used to be though

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

No doubt.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Except for Adele, she sold 5 million of "21" .

She has the 3rd best selling UK album of all time!*

People will actually buy albums, if they don't suck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before you ask:

*(Queens greatest hits #1, Sgt Peppers #2, Adele 21 #3, ABBA Gold #4, Oasis What's the Story #5)

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

Except for Adele, she sold 5 million of "21" .
    She has the 3rd best selling UK album of all time!*
    People will actually buy albums, if they don't suck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Before you ask:
    *(Queens greatest hits #1, Sgt Peppers #2, Adele 21 #3, ABBA Gold #4, Oasis What's the Story #5)

Wow, I wonder if that would translate into 40 million sold "back in the day"?

Most of those other albums are 30-40 years old to have amassed those sales, and she did it in a year.

#119 10 years ago

Speaking of Em, his house is up for sale for $1 because it did not get even the $500 minimum bid.

C'mon you Eminem fans, you know you want to live in his very essence.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130918/NEWS01/309180141/1035/ent

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Speaking of Em, his house is up for sale for $1 because it did not get even the $500 minimum bid.
    C'mon you Eminem fans, you know you want to live in his very essence.
    http://www.freep.com/article/20130918/NEWS01/309180141/1035/ent

lol that place is a sh43hole!

Don't really want to continue this argument, but looked up his album sales for the recovery album and they are pretty high for "his high times were in the early 2000's"

#121 10 years ago

Maybe his album sales are in Recovery?

EMs_house.PNGEMs_house.PNG

#122 10 years ago

Many people don't know that Eminem is a bad-ass at Donkey Kong (although I still beat his high score. )
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/03/eminem_prepping_donkey_kong_high_score_attempt

I figured they were using rap because it was mostly set in NY, the birthplace of hip hop. But yeah, I guess it does feel a little out of place. Especially since neither Em or Dre come from NY.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

People just did not want to come straight out and say "Eminem sucks!",
    Even though rap does not fit a Pinball documentary, had the opening track been Snoop, Rick Ross, or Die Antwoord, nobody would have mentioned it.

Emininem sucks horribly and I made sure to mention it. If it's a New York doc throw in some Beastie Boys or P.E. or some other NY style.

#124 10 years ago

neither Em or Dre come from NY.

We know where Dre comes from

Dre.jpgDre.jpg

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We know where Dre comes from

When he was a she thang

#126 10 years ago

Ahhhh, it included Adventure Time... WIN!

#127 10 years ago

Great video, nicely done, glad you went the opposite of the dork angle which is just not the stereo type anymore. I would highly recommend selling some of those Pinball NewYork, shirts.

You guys represent
    I want to go to NewYork just to play pinball now, that and catch a Jets game....when they stop sucking

best quote that I will steal from your video....."Sucking is the first step at getting good at something"

respect
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball
    life time Jets fan
    I remember Richard Todd

#128 10 years ago

So if we can't like Dr. Dre because he dresses funny and wears makeup then who in music can we like exactly? This is so ridiculous...

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

So if we can't like Dr. Dre because he dresses funny and wears makeup then who in music can we like exactly?

Dimmu Borgir

#130 10 years ago

I own that album. It rocks.

#131 10 years ago

I'd have been down with some Cypress Hill.

#132 10 years ago

Hell yeah. I own that one too!

#133 10 years ago

watched it, was good, not as depressing as all the other pinball documentaries but I missed the point of the video, it was a "documentary" but about what?

#134 10 years ago

Great video. Wish I could visit NYC more often. Good to see so many young players! Seeing female players is also great as it seems to be an endangered species here in France. My wife saw the documentary and liked it (and she is far from being a pinball addict!)

I don't mind the music. Rap is compatible with Pinball...
    (fortunately we are not all Metallica fans...)
    ...and got to visit that skateboard shop!

Quoted from detroit_pinball:

best quote that I will steal from your video....."Sucking is the first step at getting good at something"
    respect

Agreed! Great quote.

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

watched it, was good, not as depressing as all the other pinball documentaries but I missed the point of the video, it was a "documentary" but about what?

To me it was a documentary about the resurgence of pinball in NYC, and how pinball is becoming trendy and popular again both among the old farts and the young chic crowd. Was also an advertisement for Brooklyn as an up and coming pinball hotbed. It also made me think that the more public places that start buying and putting pinballs out again, the harder and more expensive it is going to be to buy them for home use. Mixed feelings about that. Would love to see them out for everyone to enjoy, but would also like to own more at home too. I thought it was well done.

#136 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

If any of you East Coasters hit up the west coast let me know. I found it kinda funny when they said these 2 guys put like 12 machines on route and holy cow it saved pinball! I know 2 ops here that have over 75 pins on route just between them and countless others. Definitely are spoiled with places to play.

They have a LOT more than "like 12" games on location. And this is New York City. Commercial leases are sky-high (the 2000sf space downstairs, on a street off of 5th Ave, is listed at $18k per month), floor space is at a premium everywhere, traffic sucks, almost no free/available parking, etc. So operating here, and convincing businesses to add pinball, is a lot harder than in many other places that may have acres of empty floor space, where adding pins would be a no-lose situation for a business owner.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

They have a LOT more than "like 12" games on location. And this is New York City. Commercial leases are sky-high (the 2000sf space downstairs, on a street off of 5th Ave, is listed at $18k per month), floor space is at a premium everywhere, traffic sucks, almost no free/available parking, etc. So operating here, and convincing businesses to add pinball, is a lot harder than in many other places that may have acres of empty floor space, where adding pins would be a no-lose situation for a business owner.

Yeah so i wasnt insultating the lower amount of routed games. The video itself says if it wasnt for two guys there would be literally no routed games. Im only going off the video.

Anyways, if anyone is in this area hit me up and we can get to some places with a boatload of pins if you dont havr the chance to do so

#138 10 years ago

I am proud to say, my team the Mutants won the eagle twice, but not this past season. Hoping this one!

#139 10 years ago

Won the league, not eagle. Damn spellcheck

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

I am proud to say, my team the Mutants won the eagle twice, but not this past season. Hoping this one!

Only twice? Mutants won the first 2 seasons of the league (when I was a key anchor... OK, well, I was a regular player at least!)

Quoted from jrivelli:

Yeah so i wasnt insultating the lower amount of routed games. The video itself says if it wasnt for two guys there would be literally no routed games. Im only going off the video.
    Anyways, if anyone is in this area hit me up and we can get to some places with a boatload of pins if you dont havr the chance to do so

Those 2 guys are pretty darned busy! No prob, I wasn't taking it as an insultate.

Anyone hitting up the NYC area, check out pinballnyc.com (the league's homepage) for a comprehensive listing of local pins and their current conditions.

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Anyone hitting up the NYC area, check out pinballnyc.com (the league's homepage) for a comprehensive listing of local pins and their current conditions.

I've seen that link before, but never went there. Just did and was pleased to find that it matches up nicely with the locator linked below.

NYC - 52 locations, 106 machines

http://pinballmap.com/

I'm a left coast guy and I've never been to NYC, but I definitely root for location pinball to succeed there. Maybe it's because Roger Sharpe kicked ass and took names there. Nice work to all the operators, the location owners and all the players (and the folks that made the film). Keep those numbers going up.

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from detroit_pinball:

Great video, nicely done, glad you went the opposite of the dork angle which is just not the stereo type anymore

Um, ok.

#143 10 years ago

you obviously have not seen some of the older pinball video's.....
    pingeek running around chicago expo with one of those spinner child hats. Not to mention another scene with Sam in a half shirt.
    Countless other scenes that have scarred my memory.
    You might not see all these people from this video sitting front row at fashion week, but a giant step forward none the less--also People being extroverted instead of being eccentrically introverted.

just my 2 cents, take that and add $15000 and you can buy a MM...... I guarantee it.
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#144 10 years ago

hey, I remember the first time I went to PAPA and saw the 50 something year old dude, pale as a ghost, wrist braces, knee brace, headband, etc. lol...i'm just happy to see people playing pinball, but IMO, todays hipster is just the same geek as in yesteryear, just with more facial hair and tattoos. buddy holly glasses: check. plaid/flannel/checked shirt: check. chuck taylors: check. the irony is so, so, un-ironic!

#145 10 years ago

"Hipster" is just the new word media outlets/old people have for a younger generation.
    Punks, hippees, alternative, goth, Generation Xmetalheads, ravers, grunge, Generation Y...yada yada yada...it's always something.
    "you wouldn't believe this kids today I tell ya. They wear crappy clothes and drink cheap beer, and have facial hair & I don't care for their music." What a new concept

#146 10 years ago

Video is no longer public?

#147 10 years ago

My grandpa once said, "Don't complain without a solution." I try to remember that one when I hear too much whining.

Now, what song do you propose would be ideal to open the movie with?

thanks!
    -mof

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Now, what song do you propose would be ideal to open the movie with?

Something that fits and isn't horrible gramps.

#149 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Something that fits and isn't horrible gramps.

LOL

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Hipster" is just the new word media outlets/old people have for a younger generation.
    Punks, hippees, alternative, goth, Generation Xmetalheads, ravers, grunge, Generation Y...yada yada yada...it's always something.
    "you wouldn't believe this kids today I tell ya. They wear crappy clothes and drink cheap beer, and have facial hair & I don't care for their music." What a new concept

yeah, i know, i'm getting old! But I used to hang out in the arcades and bowling alleys of the 70's, and that was a motley looking bunch. This generation of pinballers has nothing on them in terms of "outside the lines". If anything, it'sinteresting how much this generation of pinballers seem "inside" the lines. Hipsters are the old normal.

There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-documentary-now-on-vimeo/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.