(Topic ID: 229089)

Replay button doesn't start a game - by design?

By MarkG

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sweet Sioux Replay Button (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I encountered a '59 Gottlieb Sweet Sioux with an unusual (to me) behavior and wonder whether it was designed that way or if I don't understand how it should work. Simply put, if the game is unplugged while the score motor is running (like maybe when there's a problem and the motor won't stop), it can't be restarted with the Replay button. Here's the relevant part of the schematic:
Sweet Sioux Replay Button (resized).jpgSweet Sioux Replay Button (resized).jpg
When the game is first plugged in, there's no power to the transformer until the K or W relay fires, closing one of the switches on the lower left side. (The R relay is a 25 volt relay that holds the 120 volts on once 25 volts is available so that can't be the first relay to fire.) If you drop a coin into either coin slot, the K or W relay fires, connects 120 volts to the transformer and you're good to go.

If you have credits on the Replay Unit you'd think that you could just press the Replay button and you'd be good to go too, but there's a Score Motor 1C switch in the way that has to be closed for the Replay button to work. This will only be the case if the Score Motor is in the home position.

Ordinarily the Score Motor will return to one of the three home positions any time it starts running. The schematic shows that the Score Motor will run until the Score Motor 1C switch opens if nothing else is calling for the Score Motor. However if you happen to shut off the game while the Score Motor is running but before it reaches the home position, the 1C switch in series with the Replay button will be open, effectively disabling the Replay button.

I imagine the Score Motor 1C switch is in series with the Replay button to ignore it if the motor is already running, but if that's the intention shouldn't there be a way to get the Score Motor home whenever power is restored? Newer games removed most or all of the 120 volt logic so 25 volts become available as soon as power is applied and the Score Motor returns home if it's not there already.

/Mark

#2 5 years ago

Hi MarkG
good topic, good post-1. I fully agree. Think of "Humpty Dumpty ... Space Walk" - evolution, advancement. It is hard to make a machine foolproof - it is impossible to make a pin to run under any condition. Over the years the engineers did a lot of work to handle the silly / strange things "players did at the arcade times" - like pressing the Start-Button when the pin in play is busy giving 500 points (and so the motor is running to help making the 500 points - at that time the motor cannot do a complete startup). My Ice Revue (1965) is wired the same as Your Sweet Sioux.

To stick to the problem --- Coin-Reflectors were invented - and the Coin-Lockout-Coil (should be called STOP-Coinlockout-Coil (thats its functionality)) --- I have seen it in late Bally pins - whenever the motor runs: This Coil moves its armature (back) so temporarily Coins are reflected. JUST BECAUSE some people at the arcade times were so stupid to throw-in some coins at times they should not.
(((When I study an schematics and I do not understand "what is this switch for" - it usually is for to handle "extraordinary situations caused by weird behaviour of players". Greetings Rolf

#3 5 years ago

So how is the motor reset to home position?

Coin-lockout has always interested me. I have it on my Bally Solid State machines and often wondered why people would coin an obviously powered off machine (as kids we certainly wouldn't try in the arcade). Now I have a Bally EM (no power toggle switch) if it is powered I can turn the lights on and start a game with a coin, so the first player illuminates the machine for the operator so perhaps people still had this idea with later games.

#4 5 years ago

Hi astyy
do You know the lovely feature on Bally and Williams pins "pressing the left flipperbutton turns on the Playfield- and the Backbox-Lights" ? These pins may look toggled-off / unplugged --- but they have current to the transformer - they come alive when pressing the left flipperbutton / throwing-in a coin - they may need an operater-note on the pin "Out of order" (so people do not throw-in a coin). So some people "had this idea with later games". (((In the arcade times walking up to an unlighted Bally / Williams pin: I always tried the "left flipperbutton feature" - if it did light-up I then threw-in a coin. I only did throw-in a coin on an Gottlieb pin when it was lit - at least the Tilt-Light in the Backbox.)))
What model is Your Bally EM-Pin ?
In the arcade times all Servicemen knew "motor must be in Home-Position for to minimize problems" --- they turned the motor manually or they did the "throwing-in a coin" trick. Greetings Rolf

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

In the arcade times all Servicemen knew "motor must be in Home-Position for to minimize problems" --- they turned the motor manually or they did the "throwing-in a coin" trick. Greetings Rolf

IIRC, on my Gottlieb EM games that have a coin slot for multiple games per coin, I can insert a coin and this will cause the motor to return to its normal position. It may or may not add the correct number of credits on the replay wheel, depending on how far the motor had to turn to get to normal.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

What model is Your Bally EM-Pin ?

Rolf, it is Rocket III. It does light on left flipper button, coins (I bought old ones especially) or replay button will light and start game. Since I converted it to DIY AAB (you remember the thread!) if credits are on the Replay unit it is in free play and Replays never decrement in AAB.

MarkG apologies for derailing your thread and talking about Bally's.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

IIRC, on my Gottlieb EM games that have a coin slot for multiple games per coin, I can insert a coin and this will cause the motor to return to its normal position. It may or may not add the correct number of credits on the replay wheel, depending on how far the motor had to turn to get to normal.

That's how Sweet Sioux in the schematic above works too I believe. It's curious though why the coin slots and credit button were treated differently. It seems like either all three should have a series score motor switch or not. It makes me wonder why as a designer you'd treat real coins differently than credits.

For current owners of games with this feature, would there be an issue with just shorting out and effectively removing the Score Motor 1C switch in series with the Replay button? I can't think of one

Quoted from astyy:

MarkG apologies for derailing your thread and talking about Bally's.

No worries. It's all good.

#8 5 years ago

The 1953 Gottlieb Flying High, that I have been working on. Would not start unless the motor was at a Home Position. Found a contact on the E Relay which was out of adjustment. After the adjustment, the motor would stop in the right place every time.

Your on to something. If the power supply is cut, during the motor spinning. Then turned back on, the replay button will not reset the game. Had to on a few occasions, reach in and rotated the motor to start up the game.

#9 5 years ago

The 2 motor 1c switches need to be clean and adjusted properly for the machine to work properly. The n.o. 1c switch is the motor runout and keeps the motor running until it finds a home position.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-button-doesn-t-start-a-game-by-design and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.