(Topic ID: 157353)

Replacing threaded PF posts with wood/machine thread posts.

By Langless28

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg

#1 7 years ago

I have an older Williams EM that utilizes wood screws to secure all posts and PF plastics to the wood. They have raised the wood significantly and stripped the threads in other places. I am thinking of replacing all of them with the newer style posts (combo wood screw and machine threads on top) becuase once I fix all the wood holes, the new style will allow to securely tighten down the post and use light pressure of a machine nut to hold the PF plastic. This would be beneficial becuase the screws will no longer need to be removed for a rubber changeout and less of a chance of breaking the PF plastics when tightening the screws down.

Is this a good idea?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

It won't hurt.

Don't tighten the nuts to the plastics on an EM. General consensus is to let them float slightly. You could use nylon acorn nuts on these posts similar to that used on early SS games.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

It won't hurt.
    Don't tighten the nuts to the plastics on an EM. General consensus is to let them float slightly. You could use nylon acorn nuts on these posts similar to that used on early SS games.

That's not possible with my current setup, they are standard flanged Phillips screws that need to sandwich the plastic on top of the post.

If I got these news posts, then yes the plastic can float loosely with an acorn nut while the post is nice and tight to the PF. Is That what your implying?

#4 7 years ago

If you use screws, you pretty much have to tighten them down in order for the posts to not be loose. If you use a style that allows acorn nuts, it allows you to tighten the posts, not have the plastics completely tight, and removal of the plastics in order to re-rubber.

The nuts can be a pain in the nuts, but overall it's a better system than straight wood screws which Williams and Bally used for the most part.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

That's not possible with my current setup, they are standard flanged Phillips screws that need to sandwich the plastic on top of the post.
    If I got these news posts, then yes the plastic can float loosely with an acorn nut while the post is nice and tight to the PF. Is That what your implying?

You always tighten the post to the playfield. ALWAYS.

I was referring to the playfield plastics on top of the posts. A nylon acorn nut will look similar to later SS games and work there because it is a machine thread matching the shaft on the top of your post.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-threaded-pf-posts-with-woodmachine-thread-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.