Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    P1050146 (resized).JPG
    P1050145 (resized).JPG
    P1050158 (resized).JPG
    bigtop1 (resized).jpg
    20180308_154302 (resized).jpg
    20180227_162953 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150701 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150719 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150938 (resized).jpg
    20180227_151032 (resized).jpg
    20180227_151633 (resized).jpg
    20180225_172337 (resized).jpg
    8b3fb55f-607b-4fa0-b74e-69a62c77933a (resized).jpg
    20180211_170102 (resized).jpg
    20180211_165833 (resized).jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

He bought all the parts to make these but said all you guys bailed out.

#52 6 years ago

Say what? I've emailed William([email protected]) a couple/three times over the past year or so begging to buy one of these? I haven't heard from him in at least 6 months. If this is true it's a total bummer. Such an elegant solution he came up with.

I started working out how to replace the HH 8-track with a couple stereo .mp3 players a little while back, but was hoping his product would come to market so I wouldn't need to hack anything together.

Here's a simple solution I came up with for Wild Kingdom...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAAyX0OkNvNVoTOk1

I figure I can just feed the output from a couple of these stereo .mp3 players into where the audio from the 8-track player heads go. I will need to rewire stuff in the 8-track housing but it should be doable.

I'd *MUCH* rather buy an all-in-one solution!

#53 6 years ago

Hi,

First, sorry for my english!

I had a bad preamp in my 8 track player so I did my own SB with those little cheap boards:

http://www.electronics123.com/shop/product/usb5m-300-second-5-minutes-usb-recording-module-with-4-buttons-windows-10-compatible-5320

I've bought 2, one for the background sound and one for the cat, witch and monster sounds.
    All trigged by a relay board, something like that:

http://yourduino.com/sunshop//images/products/large_155_4relays-1.jpg

Will try to take pics of the final product in the game...

#54 6 years ago

Ok, I'm not a electronic tech so I did my best with this project... I can call that a "prototype", but its work great!

20180203_164537 (resized).jpg20180203_164537 (resized).jpg

#55 6 years ago

PACMAN...your responds? We might have to wait a few months....

#56 6 years ago

Maybe send him new emails to show there is still strong interest.

#57 6 years ago

Very few people showed interest after trying to confirm not likely to happen unless someone wants to be a reseller.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

Ok, I'm not a electronic tech so I did my best with this project... I can call that a "prototype", but its work great!

Great job!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

So, are you powering the audio boards with a wall wart? I see you wired an adapter jack on that break out board to the left but can't see what is powering it. Also, I love the use of the JammaBoards.com breakout board. No hacking of factory wires, nice!

When you trigger the sounds from the relay board do they always re-start from the beginning of the sound file? Or can you continue them like the 8-track player inherently does?

Thank you very much for posting your solution. I was going to hack two .mp3 players into the 8-track housing to take the place of the 8-track player heads and I planned to use the stock pre-amps. Your solution appears to not require anything that is inside the 8-track housing! Which is what I'd like to go for also.

Thanks again for posting!

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

So, are you powering the audio boards with a wall wart? I see you wired an adapter jack on that break out board to the left but can't see what is powering it. Also, I love the use of the JammaBoards.com breakout board. No hacking of factory wires, nice!
    When you trigger the sounds from the relay board do they always re-start from the beginning of the sound file? Or can you continue them like the 8-track player inherently does?
    Thank you very much for posting your solution. I was going to hack two .mp3 players into the 8-track housing to take the place of the 8-track player heads and I planned to use the stock pre-amps. Your solution appears to not require anything that is inside the 8-track housing! Which is what I'd like to go for also.
    Thanks again for posting!

Yes, I used a wall wart for the audio boards. I used the 115v of the 8 track player to feed the 4.5v wall wart. Jacks are for speaker output. Each audio board have their output speaker jacks and both are pluged in the original amp of the game. I did it that way because like that I keep the original speaker and still had the gun shot sound. The "pow" is generated by a section on the amp. I used 2 audio boards expressly to have the music played continually during the game. Both audio boards are trigged by the relay bord. 4 relay, music, cat, witch and monster.
    On the start button, I add a new leaf switch who trig the background music board so when I push the start button both audio boards are powered and music start.

Yes, all original wires and plugs are still there. The 8 track player is completly gone. Only hacking I did is on the 30 degree relay, I unsoldered the +16v wire and I did a jumper between both switch to feed ground (from a power supply I did to feed 5v to the new relay board) to the relay board who trig the sound and music boards.
    The sound file play one sound after each other. If I remember right, I think I can choose a ramdom option too. Music plays in loop until the game is over.

Ok, hope you understand me a little bit?!!
    I did a schematic in the past, I will try to find it and I will post it here.

#61 6 years ago

Awesome post again! Thank you!

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

Ok, I'm not a electronic tech so I did my best with this project

That looks much simpler than adding sound to a machine that did not come with it.
    This is the relay board I made to adapt a WAV.Trigger card work for 16 sounds in my Crossfire.

Relay pack (resized).jpgRelay pack (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

Lot of work you did! How your relays are triggered? You installed new switches on all targets?

#64 6 years ago

No, the relays are 48v coil relays. The machine has 50 volt coils on the targets.

If you look close you will see I soldered 2 additional wires on each coil that runs back to each relay.
    Each target has an EOS so the pulse is short.
    Each target triggers an individual sound from the wav trigger board.
    I also added the cowboy theme ( think: the good the bad and the ugly) when the coin drops to run for 90 seconds.

One of the relays is used to switch back to the original bells if I prefer. It is wired to a toggle inside the coin door. So it is either scoring bells or digital sound.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

Yes, I used a wall wart for the audio boards. I used the 115v of the 8 track player to feed the 4.5v wall wart. Jacks are for speaker output. Each audio board have their output speaker jacks and both are pluged in the original amp of the game. I did it that way because like that I keep the original speaker and still had the gun shot sound. The "pow" is generated by a section on the amp. I used 2 audio boards expressly to have the music played continually during the game. Both audio boards are trigged by the relay bord. 4 relay, music, cat, witch and monster.
    On the start button, I add a new leaf switch who trig the background music board so when I push the start button both audio boards are powered and music start.
    Yes, all original wires and plugs are still there. The 8 track player is completly gone. Only hacking I did is on the 30 degree relay, I unsoldered the +16v wire and I did a jumper between both switch to feed ground (from a power supply I did to feed 5v to the new relay board) to the relay board who trig the sound and music boards.
    The sound file play one sound after each other. If I remember right, I think I can choose a ramdom option too. Music plays in loop until the game is over.
    Ok, hope you understand me a little bit?!!
    I did a schematic in the past, I will try to find it and I will post it here.

This is amazing!!!! I have actually used these boards a few times myself in much simpler projects. See below...

I'd actually donate you £20 for a schematic and a detailed breakdown of the project. My 8 track is running slow as I'm in the UK and running on 50hz plus since realigning the heads it's not the greatest. So this is perfect for me. Looking forward to nice crisp digital audio dripping majestically from my vintage speaker.

#66 6 years ago

Yep your solution for extending the loom without hacking is way more professional than mine....just a offcut of plastic and copper foil. The pic shows part of the 8 track head realignment process. Such fun...sarcasm intended.

20180117_162833 (1) (resized).jpg20180117_162833 (1) (resized).jpg

#67 6 years ago

Last year I picked up a Midway Flash bat and pitch that has a non-working 8 track. However, I did find someone who had the sound files already converted to MP3 format. I may have to look converting this machine. I think it will be much simpler that a Haunted house conversion because there is only 4 sound involved in my case.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Last year I picked up a Midway Flash bat and pitch that has a non-working 8 track. However, I did find someone who had the sound files already converted to MP3 format. I may have to look converting this machine. I think it will be much simpler that a Haunted house conversion because there is only 4 sound involved in my case.

Is it the same tape player than the HH? Probably a similar conversion... Any schematic somewhere?

1 week later
    #69 6 years ago

Finally found the schematic I did...

If you have questions, I will try to answer my best.

Haunted_House revised (resized).JPGHaunted_House revised (resized).JPG

#70 6 years ago

Pic of the 5vdc power supply I added to feed the relay board...

20180211_170226 (resized).jpg20180211_170226 (resized).jpg

#71 6 years ago

How I wired the 15vac from the amplifier...

20180211_152255 (resized).jpg20180211_152255 (resized).jpg

20180211_152243 (resized).jpg20180211_152243 (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago

30° relay Y-G wire unsoldered and shrink tube installed for protection (still 16v in this wire).

20180211_165833 (resized).jpg20180211_165833 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

For the jumper on the 30° relay, I skinned the new wire I used (black wire) enough long to be able to solder both connectors together on the relay. Not easy to take a good pic of that one!

20180211_170102 (resized).jpg20180211_170102 (resized).jpg

#74 6 years ago

Awesome information! Thank you again!!!

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

Pic of the 5vdc power supply I added to feed the relay board...

Massive round of applause to AMX. Awesome work. Could you please supply a link to the 5vdc supply. Once again awesome work.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kevwolf69:

Massive round of applause to AMX. Awesome work. Could you please supply a link to the 5vdc supply. Once again awesome work.

This is not exactely the one I've used but something similar... I bought a cheap DIY kit on ebay.
    Very simple little circuit with a LM7805 voltage regulator... Lot of info and DIY on the web...

8b3fb55f-607b-4fa0-b74e-69a62c77933a (resized).jpg8b3fb55f-607b-4fa0-b74e-69a62c77933a (resized).jpg

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

This is not exactely the one I've used but something similar... I bought a cheap DIY kit on ebay.
    Very simple little circuit with a LM7805 voltage regulator... Lot of info and DIY on the web...

Ordered. I have the sound modules and relay cluster so all I need is connectors and wire and I'm good to go. Once again many thanks.

#78 6 years ago

Progressing nicely...

20180225_172337 (resized).jpg20180225_172337 (resized).jpg

#79 6 years ago

Sweet! Build me one too

Quoted from Kevwolf69:

Progressing nicely...

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Sweet! Build me one too

Lol... it's actually a fun build. Plus if I can do it then literally anyone can. Just waiting for my 5v regulator board and the resistors to turn up.

#81 6 years ago

Kev, you are in fire!!!
    Keep on the good work, sir!

#82 6 years ago

IMPORTANT NOTE about the 5v PS board.
    I just remembered, on mine the polarity was inversed so when 15vac will be pluged, double check the 5vdc output polarity on yours to be sure positive is on the positive side of the connector!

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMX:

IMPORTANT NOTE about the 5v PS board.
    I just remembered, on mine the polarity was inversed so when 15vac will be pluged, double check the 5vdc output polarity on yours to be sure positive is on the positive side of the connector!

Cheers for the info on that. I'll double check. Just waiting for the 3k resistors and the 5vdc PS. And thanks for the kind words I cant wait to get this installed!!! Pure digital goodness dripping from my speaker. ...YES PLEASE !!!!

#84 6 years ago

Its easy for you anyway

Quoted from Kevwolf69:

Lol... it's actually a fun build. Plus if I can do it then literally anyone can. Just waiting for my 5v regulator board and the resistors to turn up.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kevwolf69:

Progressing nicely...

How slick would this be if you enclosed it in the original 8-track case?

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

How slick would this be if you enclosed it in the original 8-track case?

Its actually pretty doable. The only outer difference would be the connect for the music switch and the +5vdc for the relay cluster. You could even cut and old 8 track tape in half, get rid of the spool and hot melt the case to the slot making it look like there's a tape still in there. Print off a cool label even. Now you got me thinking....

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kevwolf69:

Its actually pretty doable. The only outer difference would be the connect for the music switch and the +5vdc for the relay cluster. You could even cut and old 8 track tape in half, get rid of the spool and hot melt the case to the slot making it look like there's a tape still in there. Print off a cool label even. Now you got me thinking....

Photos when it's done!

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Photos when it's done!

I think i'll let the next person who tries this upgrade go that extra mile... I just want my machine up and running with digital sound. Plus my deck could go to some one that needs the parts. Its in good shape just no good for the 50hz supply here in the UK. Plus the heads need tweaking to be fully aligned. Other than that its ok. I even have a few spare pre-amp chips.

#89 6 years ago

Today's progress... completed the board wiring. Modified the 30deg relay. Fed the wire for the +5vdc for the PS. Converted the start button to double stack to activate the background sounds. Note the use of greenstuff to extend the pusher. Getting close. Just waiting for the PS board to drop through my letter box.

20180227_151633 (resized).jpg20180227_151633 (resized).jpg
    20180227_151032 (resized).jpg20180227_151032 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150938 (resized).jpg20180227_150938 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150719 (resized).jpg20180227_150719 (resized).jpg
    20180227_150701 (resized).jpg20180227_150701 (resized).jpg

20180227_162953 (resized).jpg20180227_162953 (resized).jpg

#90 6 years ago

If anyone is interested I have placed an add in the market place for the sale of my original 8 Track with spares here is a link to the ebay listing. selling this way to make shipping easier.

check out the link for info...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273094836399?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kevwolf69:

If anyone is interested I have placed an add in the market place for the sale of my original 8 Track with spares here is a link to the ebay listing. selling this way to make shipping easier.
    check out the link for info...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273094836399?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Good deal at $160US shipped IMHO. Almost hit the BIN button and I don't even need it. LOL.

Hoping to work on my mp3/relay upgrade this week. Have some ideas that should make it just about plug-n-play... or that's the plan at least.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Good deal at $160US shipped IMHO. Almost hit the BIN button and I don't even need it. LOL.
    Hoping to work on my mp3/relay upgrade this week. Have some ideas that should make it just about plug-n-play... or that's the plan at least.

To be honest I'd take less, I'm just wanting to help anyone that needs the parts. My digital upgrade is complete. Just received the 5vdc PS today and fitted it. Result is amazing. Absolutely love it. But had some issues with the bottom carriage molex connectors that I want to put to bed before I post any vids of the game working. The cosmetic stuff is done and I'm really happy with the result. Just need to chill for a couple of days before attacking those connectors. Been on night shift so I'm shattered.

#93 6 years ago

Awesome job. Congrats!

And I had a couple problems with that Molex on mine too. My pins tend to back out and need to be snapped back into the Molex housing. Spent hours one day tracing an issue back to that. Good luck!

#94 6 years ago

Complete digital conversion and final cosmetic stuff done.

20180308_154302 (resized).jpg20180308_154302 (resized).jpg

#95 6 years ago

Pretty awesome.
    We have a Midway Big Top Twin Rifle that came with the optional 8 track player for background music (not interactive sound with the game, just background music).
    I haven't been able to find the original 8 track for it.
    I wound up buying a box set organ music 8 tracks off eBay for like $12 called "the magic organ" and it sounds pretty rad with the game play.

Heres what the game looks like.

bigtop1 (resized).jpgbigtop1 (resized).jpg

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Pretty awesome.
    We have a Midway Big Top Twin Rifle that came with the optional 8 track player for background music (not interactive sound with the game, just background music).
    I haven't been able to find the original 8 track for it.
    I wound up buying a box set organ music 8 tracks off eBay for like $12 called "the magic organ" and it sounds pretty rad with the game play.
    » YouTube video
    Heres what the game looks like.

I need to see that in operation. Great combo! !!!

#97 6 years ago

Great application. Many, many possibilities!

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

Great application. Many, many possibilities!

All thanks to AMX great work!!!!

#99 6 years ago

Looks(and sounds) great Kev!!! The only thing I noticed is that I think the background sound is supposed to cut out when other sounds play(at least that's how my game is). BUT, BUT, BUT I like how your background plays all the time during the game in addition to the supporting sounds.

This seems like the reason for the added switch to the start button... I think? The way I'm implementing my solution with mimic the original game... but I may try to change it to mimic your(and AMX's) solution. Again, awesome job guys!!! It's great people are sharing information freely like they used to do on the ol' internets.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Looks(and sounds) great Kev!!! The only thing I noticed is that I think the background sound is supposed to cut out when other sounds play(at least that's how my game is). BUT, BUT, BUT I like how your background plays all the time during the game in addition to the supporting sounds.
    This seems like the reason for the added switch to the start button... I think? The way I'm implementing my solution with mimic the original game... but I may try to change it to mimic your(and AMX's) solution. Again, awesome job guys!!! It's great people are sharing information freely like they used to do on the ol' internets.

Yup you are spot on. That's why I like AMX's solution so much. It just seems more natural the way the music plays continuously. And yeah I love the fact that we can share the love on this project. AMX has really opened a lot of doors for people with the same predicament. I'm lucky to have used these boards before so I'm familiar with the programing. But they really are simple to work with.

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-8-track-player-in-midway-haunted-house-with-a-sound-card/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.