Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rivet.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I have a 1976 Gottlieb which I need to replace a few switch contacts which are missing. Some score reel EOS contacts, bumper score contacts etc. The leaf switches themselves are in good shape it's just the actual contact itself is missing.

I have new contacts from PBResource, both the softer regular contacts and the harder high current ones.

My question is about expanding the rivet on the backside of the contact which holds the contact on the leaf switch. What is the best way to expand this rivet? Can I use a common "water pump" pliers and squeeze it on as shown in my diagram or will it also destroy the contact surface?

Thanks in advance.

Rivet.jpgRivet.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Pretty sure they should be soldered on, could be wrong.

#3 11 years ago

I think crimping them would damage the contact surface. I'd solder them.

#4 11 years ago

The hardened spring metal leaf on which the contact is mounted is not solderable.

#5 11 years ago

I've always heard pliers and/or solder...Pliers aren't going to damage the contacts...If you're worried, insert a business card in between the Pliers and contact when you spread the crimps.

#6 11 years ago

Lay the surface of the contact on a piece of wood, slip your leaf over the peg on the back of the contact. Use a punch with a nice wide 45* angle to the tip, give the "nub" on the back of the contact a solid wack with a hammer, you dont have to kill it but give it a solid one. One more wack to the contact "nub" with just the hammer after that.

#7 11 years ago

Im talking about a round punch that jets out at about a 45* angle from the tip, not a chisle.

#8 11 years ago

I prefer to solder the contacts as it assures good continuity between the blade and contact.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

The hardened spring metal leaf on which the contact is mounted is not solderable.

For hardened or spring steel use a propane torch, black flux and I use silver solder, but regular solder will also work.

Pinstyle's approach would also work. Either way should give a good connection, just a matter of preference.

#10 11 years ago

I solder them in - electric gun

7 years later
    #11 4 years ago

Bringing this thread back to life.
    The idea of fixing a few switches on my game for a couple dollars sounds great but the dollar amount climbs by buying a press.
    Did the channel locks pliers work for this?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Bringing this thread back to life.
    The idea of fixing a few switches on my game for a couple dollars sounds great but the dollar amount climbs by buying a press.
    Did the channel locks pliers work for this?

I’ve used a similar technique as described in an earlier post (quoted below). The back of the contact has a flange (“nub”) that can be bent down with a simple nail punch that shouldn’t cost more than a few bucks.

Quoted from pinstyle:

Lay the surface of the contact on a piece of wood, slip your leaf over the peg on the back of the contact. Use a punch with a nice wide 45* angle to the tip, give the "nub" on the back of the contact a solid wack with a hammer, you dont have to kill it but give it a solid one. One more wack to the contact "nub" with just the hammer after that.

#13 4 years ago

You can use pliers, just put some padding (rag) on the contact side to protect it (essential if you are doing gold flashed ones). It also works to solder them in, as does the nail punch. I vary which way I'm doing it based on how many I'm doing and where (in the machine, on the bench, etc.)

As for the way earlier post about hardened switch blades not being solderable, that's not true... I had to solder an extension onto a pinbot flipper EOS during a party, and all I did was shine up with a bit of sandpaper each side (there was about 3/8" overlap between the snapped blade and the extension) - iron soldered it fine, it survived the party and 7 more years (I forgot I had did it and when I was selling the machine the buyer was like, WTF is this???)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-switch-contacts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.