(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By PinMonk

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 640 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wire removal RSP500-48-sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone (resized).jpg
    RSP 500-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220402_202330966.jpg
    PXL_20220402_201936766.jpg
    20220402_085312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    instruction-sample (resized).jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-23 um 06.08.04 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210712_201645 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    Obstruction.jpg
    RSP-750-48-inside (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #54 Alternate Noctua DIY external fan approach Posted by D-Gottlieb (5 years ago)

Post #295 Alternate DIY non Noctua external fan solution Posted by John_I (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#504 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it'd be tough with the way it's covering the sticker. But hey, by using an x-acto to slice it on the seam at least you're not voiding the warranty - it says "void if REMOVED." You're not removing it.
    Thanks for posting the pic. At least this shows that Stern is AWARE that their fans suck so bad that people are replacing them to get some peace and quiet. Next step? Hopefully they do what I've been begging them to for like 2 years - have meanwell ship the power supplies with the Sunon quiet fan I sell. Their engineering said they'd do it if asked.

The Federal Trade Commission put six companies on notice in 2018, telling them in a warning letter that their warranty practices violate federal law. If you buy a car with a warranty, take it a repair shop to fix it, then have to return the car to the manufacturer, the car company isn’t legally allowed to deny the return because you took your car to another shop. The same is true of any consumer device that costs more than $15, though many manufacturers want you to think otherwise.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180410/17590439606/ftc-suddenly-remembers-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal-sends-out-stern-letters-to-manufacturers.shtml

1 month later
    #517 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's been a while since I've done it, and I don't have a Spooky here to look, but I think it either slides up and off or snaps on and off. I'd try sliding first.
    It really would be nice if Spooky re-engineered this to add molex connectors so you don't have to unscrew the wires from the power supply, but just plug and unplug like on Stern/JJP machines. This setup really is a failure of engineering.
    [quoted image]

I am quite certain that the power supply manufacturer (I think its Mean-Well) could supply the unit in any Molex-style connector configuration that Stern wanted, IF Stern was willing to, 1) Pay Non-Recurring-Engineering (NRE) fees for the connector redesign and 2) Commit to a puchase of some quantity of those supplies. Keep in mind that the NRE fees would also need to cover the UL/CSA certifications as well, so these are non trivial.

I suspect it was easier, faster and cheaper to simply use the existing connection block approach, since the supplier has already done the heavy lifting using that block.

7 months later
    #551 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Spec-wise you should be fine, but the connector on that fan is too thick/large to plug into the receptacle in the power supply (if it is the same as in the picture), so you will have to cut and splice in a new one or crimp in new pins and a smaller compatible connector.
    Another path you can take if you have some resistors and shrink wrap on hand is to put a resistor on the red lead of the stock fan to reduce the voltage, which will slow the revolutions of the fan blade and should reduce the noise. It's a hassle to figure out the ideal resistor to use to get the best result, but the stock fan has about twice the CFM of the fan in the plug and play kit I sell (and the one recommended in the OP), so you have a lot of overhead to work with if you want to play around and spend the least amount of money possible (i.e. you have more spare time than money). At some point the fan will not run if the voltage is too low, so there's a fine line to walk. If you go this route, please share your result!

Years ago, the PC builders were making kits to reduce their 12V fans to 7v to reduce noise. FRYS here in California used to sell the cable. It was a simple 1/2Watt resistor. If I remember my math, "R=E/I" where the voltage you want to drop is 5volts, and the fan spec says it consumes .13Amps. So doing that math yields 38ohms, which is very close to a stock 39ohm part. Try putting a 39ohm, 1/2watt carbon resistor in the red power line to the existing cable....

#555 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

This is true of older two wire fans (I have no idea what fans are used in these supplies as I haven't looked) BUT modern fans have a feedback sensor and unless the motor is turning at the correct speed they often won't operate. Some might but it couldn't be guaranteed.

Good point. Anyone know if the FAN inside the factory Power Supply is a three-wire?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans?tu=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.