(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By PinMonk

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 640 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wire removal RSP500-48-sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone (resized).jpg
    RSP 500-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220402_202330966.jpg
    PXL_20220402_201936766.jpg
    20220402_085312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    instruction-sample (resized).jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-23 um 06.08.04 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210712_201645 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    Obstruction.jpg
    RSP-750-48-inside (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #54 Alternate Noctua DIY external fan approach Posted by D-Gottlieb (5 years ago)

Post #295 Alternate DIY non Noctua external fan solution Posted by John_I (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfesler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#177 5 years ago

I’m in for a handful, of not two. I can put 4 to use immediately.

1 month later
    #233 5 years ago

Just a heads up: WNBJM uses a different power supply, and a different fan size. Doh. I think this was the noisiest Stern out of the entire collection, too!

#234 5 years ago

Vireland, thanks for making this easy. I’ve got all mine done (other than WNBJM). A lot less high pitch whine in the game room now!

WNBJM, while spike, uses a different power supply (MW SP-320-48) with a 60x60x25 fan inside. I’ve ordered a Noctua fan to replace it, especially since I might have canonibized an annoying cable or two while removing them from the other Spike games.

1 month later
    #247 5 years ago

Brought home a Beatles this weekend. Holy crap the game room was noisy again! Ripped out the power supply and swapped fans .. and that fan whine is gone.

Thanks!

#252 5 years ago

First rule of quiet fan club: everyone talk about quiet fan club.

2 weeks later
    #261 5 years ago

DudeRegular I used this on my Whoa Nellie. It required splicing, but was straight forward. I plan on picking up several more for my JJP games.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, 3-Pin Premium Cooling Fan (60mm, Brown) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NQMESS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_E4LJCb4NWVYPF

#263 5 years ago

Quite happy. I'm also running it at the slowest speed; I haven't tried the higher speeds. In Whoa Nellie, the fan rarely comes on even with the lowest speed selected.

#271 5 years ago

It *might* be worth making the 2 pin (power supply) to 3 pin (standard PC) adapters, particularly if that’s a part you can outsource. Those would be easier to stock, mail, etc. Then again, it’s only been a couple games so far that we’ve run across that use the 60mm fans..

2 months later
    #289 4 years ago

I found that my number 2 for better even the tiny machine screws. Less likely to strip those heads.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Plus I've learned with this thread that people in general don't have the skills or don't want to DIY. The vast majority want plug and play, even when I lay out all the instructions and part numbers for DIY.

I'm just gonna say: It's great you shared the info. People can be frugal and still get rid of that hideous cheap fan noise. It's also great that you're putting these together for those who are inept, lazy, and/or short on time. I'm pretty sure I'm all 3. And the time saved with the plug-n-play I certainly value!

2 years later
    #584 2 years ago

Mostly easy for Spike. Power supply is in the head.
    Getting the power supply out of a Spooky game is painful, and back in doubly so. The power supply is all_ the way back/bottom of the cabinet.

Actual fan install is pretty straight forward, and nothing but successes for me for ~10 spikes and 3 spookies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfesler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans?tu=jfesler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.